Iron chariots

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

HisHolly

Judges 2:20-3:4..
I saw that which verses are you speaking of? could you post the verses so I can look at them.

From reading Judges 1 there is two Judah mentioned one being a place (judges 1:16) and the other being a person (judges 1:17)

H

HisHolly

Reading 2 and 3 will provide more details

H

HisHolly

I'm purposely vague in hopes more reading occurs.. It never hurts to read beyond the quoted scripture.. So I usually don't quote

B

BeyondET

Well I did look at those verses in judges 2 you gave me and IMO it seems in those verses was referring to the Angel of the Lord speaking to Joshua and the people in Bochim...

In judges 1 when Judah and His men couldn't drive out the inhabitants it seems this place was in Gaza as mentioned in verse judges 1:18 and in Gaza Judah and His men took the high country the hill but couldn't take the low country the valley, This in its self may be a clue the hill country and the valley high and low...

H

HisHolly

Thats fine. I'm not gonna contest. I have no desire to play "I'm right" today
Well I did look at those verses in judges 2 you gave me and IMO it seems in those verses was referring to the Angel of the Lord speaking to Joshua and the people in Bochim...

In judges 1 when Judah and His men couldn't drive out the inhabitants it seems this place was in Gaza as mentioned in verse judges 1:18 and in Gaza Judah and His men took the high country the hill but couldn't take the low country the valley, This in its self may be a clue the hill country and the valley high and low...

B

BeyondET

Thats fine. I'm not gonna contest. I have no desire to play "I'm right" today
? huh this makes little sense to me who said anybody is playing gees...

good day

H

HisHolly

Why do folks add to.. it only causes offense for no reason.. I won't be prideful and contend and front as tho I'm right and your not..
? huh this makes little sense to me who said anybody is playing gees...

good day

H

HisHolly

Getting to know how we all express and communicate would help everyone if we'd all do it.. people are so ready to call foul and it's just a misunderstanding..

Feb 24, 2015
Iron chariots

Iron age / bronze age. It had never struck me before but Israel spans the divide
between the two dominating technologies.

There is lots of discussion about the kingdoms as described in scripture and the
dating of archilogical sites.

It turns out with improvements in radio carbon dating, they can show a certain
dating of cities and wars confirms the biblical narrative.

This is ironic when creationists tend to slag off this method of dating.

But I could also be wrong, it was just an impression I got from reading one
paper on digs from 2003-2005.

On this subject, I wonder about one pharoah who suddenly changed their multi-god
faith to a single god faith. What do you think the impact in Egypt would have been
of Israel leaving with the plagues. They are not going to write down their humbling,
but it might get them thinking, opps maybe we got the God thing a bit wrong.

Iron chariots got me thinking, lol.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
"The LORD was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had chariots fitted with iron."
(Judges 1:19)

What do you think of this?
Thus at Taanach iron implements have been found in large quantities; at Megiddo they occur plentifully first at the period which is dated in the middle of the Israelite monarchy, also much earlier but in smaller quantities. In Egypt iron was in common use at the time of the Exodus, and considerably earlier; it came chiefly from the mines in the Sinaitic Peninsula....

Judges 1:19 Commentaries: Now the LORD was with Judah, and they took possession of the hill country; but they could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley because they had iron chariots.

B

BeyondET

Why do folks add to.. it only causes offense for no reason.. I won't be prideful and contend and front as tho I'm right and your not..
Because man for some reason thought it was needed to add numbers beside sentences within a parapragh of a study chapter.
No today the bible is like some kind of rolling jukebox people pull and play a verse from all over the place and say hey this is what it means in John 22:68 I found it in Genesis 34:37.. this is why there is so much confusion rebuking etc.. because now each single verse means a whole chapter of explanation...

B

BeyondET

Getting to know how we all express and communicate would help everyone if we'd all do it.. people are so ready to call foul and it's just a misunderstanding..
You make a good point as I thought I was being polite in my response and just said judges 2 is about Joshua and Israel go figure..

H

HisHolly

Your good day seemed abrupt.. I'm not arguing.. I'm fond of your input here.. I was just saying in my own way that I'm not going to go back and forth.. Respecting your comments being the reason.
You make a good point as I thought I was being polite in my response and just said judges 2 is about Joshua and Israel go figure..

Utah

Banned
Dec 1, 2014
I know what you mean. I'm abrasive and abrupt, and it upsets some folks here on CC, but it's just my New Jersey roots on display. I forget who it is, I think it's MailmanDan who says, "I'm not a bad guy, I'm just misunderstood." Lol.

Dec 19, 2009
That is interesting as well as the other part of the verse (but they could not drive out the inhabitants) Is this a statement that implies they had tried but failed to drive them out or is it a statement that is saying, they thought that they could not drive them out.
I suppose to find the answer to that, one would need to read what came before and what came after so as to understand the context.

H

HisHolly

I don't think your getting me.. too many posts and I'm confused thinking you are seriously taking me the wrong way
Because man for some reason thought it was needed to add numbers beside sentences within a parapragh of a study chapter.
No today the bible is like some kind of rolling jukebox people pull and play a verse from all over the place and say hey this is what it means in John 22:68 I found it in Genesis 34:37.. this is why there is so much confusion rebuking etc.. because now each single verse means a whole chapter of explanation...

H

HisHolly

BET, nothing was meant as disrespect.. it was out of my respect for you that I declined to comment further.. The post about me being vague was just an explanation in general and wasn't really directed to you

Feb 24, 2015
An odd thought is we are reading a book written before iron was properly understood and
bronze was the technology of weapons and war.

We live is a totally different era, yet this book and the stories of peoples lives still speaks
to us and the issues are still the same today as when they were written.

Feb 24, 2015
Population of the world at 1500 bc 50 million.

So the population of a small country.
No wonder the issues were very different.

B

BeyondET

Your good day seemed abrupt.. I'm not arguing.. I'm fond of your input here.. I was just saying in my own way that I'm not going to go back and forth.. Respecting your comments being the reason.
I get what your saying and I have no problem with saying yes I was abrupt I'm sorry but the only reason I was, was because someone was abrupt with me in post #25 and everyone has there own way of expressing them selves and I may not come across as being polite all the times either and vise versa, human language is a complex structure made from complex human minds.