Is anyone else sick and tired of Competitive Christianity?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2013
There were a few catalysts in the starting of this thread, with one of them being my own struggle with being critical or possibly judgmental at times. When it comes to primary issues of doctrine in our theology, it will inevitably get ugly. This is inevitable because we our faith identity is so tied to our understanding and perception.

Not long after this thread started I posted in two different threads regarding the Aminian/Calvin divide on salvation. In a short time I found myself keep coming back to those, repeating my beliefs, becoming critical...and literally contributing to a snowball of division. The division was there in the first place...we just decided to magnify it. This is the exact competitive nature that this thread said I was sick of. I am sick of it, but I keep falling into it. ARGH, Romans 7:19, what gives?

Levity aside, I think we all need to be repentant often while on these boards, whether from critical spirits, pride, arrogance, false intentions, etc.

Jer 9:9-10,"The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings. "
When I was a child, there were different denominations. Most of them believed the same, and the differences were small. I never detected divisions within the same denominations until the last two decades. After being born again 40 year ago, God has shown me numerous things in His Word that I never knew before that time. Since that time, professing Christians have also shown me things that never existed within the Christian ranks, but could easily be seen with non-Christians. I conclude that fighting has become entertainment and this technology has assisted that. I’m not saying this site is bad. There is much good that happens in here along with the arguing. There are differences with “predestination”, as you mentioned, the “rapture theory”, “tongues”, but the worst differences are seen when people mention the “law”. This should set people back into thinking why the mentioning of the law creates such a division. I could give my take as to why, but I think it would be good to identify, in this thread, what is really happening. The carnal mind will not be able to detect the deeper truth of this division, and will continue to argue. The spiritual mind will ask for understanding, and get it. Last but not least, the spiritual mind will eventually know how to respond in the “fruit of the Spirit. Many times, that response will be to walk away, and let the dead bury the dead. I will say this to finish. The arguing, and contention is certainly not a game that entertains and can be thought of as “that’s just the way it is in here”. This is much more serious in the sight of God than we could ever imagine. Remember, the greatest division in the Bible was the skewing of the Mosaic Law, and fighting to divide the truth with unrighteousness rather than dividing the truth in righteousness. Why would this division on this subject be so divisive? It’s much more grave than we could ever imagine. There are an increasing number of false conversions. Time to put the heart, mind, and soul into action.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
This is so familiar, I could spit! Spot on, so we keep our eyes fixed on Yeshua, no matter how unpopular it may be with the apostasy.

When I was a child, there were different denominations. Most of them believed the same, and the differences were small. I never detected divisions within the same denominations until the last two decades. After being born again 40 year ago, God has shown me numerous things in His Word that I never knew before that time. Since that time, professing Christians have also shown me things that never existed within the Christian ranks, but could easily be seen with non-Christians. I conclude that fighting has become entertainment and this technology has assisted that. I’m not saying this site is bad. There is much good that happens in here along with the arguing. There are differences with “predestination”, as you mentioned, the “rapture theory”, “tongues”, but the worst differences are seen when people mention the “law”. This should set people back into thinking why the mentioning of the law creates such a division. I could give my take as to why, but I think it would be good to identify, in this thread, what is really happening. The carnal mind will not be able to detect the deeper truth of this division, and will continue to argue. The spiritual mind will ask for understanding, and get it. Last but not least, the spiritual mind will eventually know how to respond in the “fruit of the Spirit. Many times, that response will be to walk away, and let the dead bury the dead. I will say this to finish. The arguing, and contention is certainly not a game that entertains and can be thought of as “that’s just the way it is in here”. This is much more serious in the sight of God than we could ever imagine. Remember, the greatest division in the Bible was the skewing of the Mosaic Law, and fighting to divide the truth with unrighteousness rather than dividing the truth in righteousness. Why would this division on this subject be so divisive? It’s much more grave than we could ever imagine. There are an increasing number of false conversions. Time to put the heart, mind, and soul into action.

H

Hoffco

Why do I do this chat room thing? What good comes of it? The best thing happening for me; Is, it keeps my mind sharp,clear, focused on God's word. I don't want ashimers as my mother got, who died at 86. My father did at 93,
I am 79, so I could live quite long. I want to died clear of mind as my Father did,but I am a highly emotional person as my mother. ALSO,WHY I am here. I love the knowledge I gain of the current conditions of spirituality of the church today; "church", meaning, all the different christian,expressions of faith in God. Many of us believe and say, the church is in the "apostacy" mode, and I agree, but some are in apostacy and don't know it, they think they are telling the truth, BUT this a part of the deception of the end times. Jesus' return could be as close as 4 yrs. MORE later. LOVE to all. Hoffco

H

Hoffco

SORRY, typo. I am 70, not 79. and I am working with a flashlight, as not to awaken my wife. She is a night person and I am a morning person. this is good, it give me time "alone" to do chat , went she is not using the Computer. My first wife was very stoic and distroyed our family by disrespect to me, she hated my zeal for the truth of God and all the problems it caused our family, the rejection from,, nominal and real,christians, was to much for her to take, near her end, she totally condemned my ministry. I asked God to take one of us home, and God chose her. My present wife is like me, very loud and angry, God is paying me back, for the pain I caused my first family. Love to all, Hoffco

H

Hoffco

I think God has cursed my family from before My birth, for generations. I share this with you so you will pray for me and my family; I have shared this with my wife but it is a heavy burden for her to bear, and not condemn me. I think I deserve the condemnation, and I am tring to be more positive. It affects the whole family. love to all, Hoffco

2Thewaters

No such things as competitive christianity.
There is only competitive un-christianity
Jesus never competes he just gives the truth and moves on.
The rich young rulers run away.

There is one faith one Lord one Baptism,
it comes from the Bible
the alleged christians make up other doctrines and argue about it
you cant do that.
stop making up false doctrines and we will be one heart and one soul in Jesus the word of God.

People who are inpired and born again have an open heart, when you show them a new doctrine from the bible they accept it and keep it rather than fight against it to protect a false religion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 4, 2013
I think God has cursed my family from before My birth, for generations. I share this with you so you will pray for me and my family; I have shared this with my wife but it is a heavy burden for her to bear, and not condemn me. I think I deserve the condemnation, and I am tring to be more positive. It affects the whole family. love to all, Hoffco
Bless your heart brother. I am sad for you and I have prayed for you and your family. I pray that your burdens will be lifted.

1 Peter 5:7 (KJV)
[SUP]7 [/SUP]Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Psalm 147:3 (KJV)
[SUP]3 [/SUP]He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.

Psalm 51:17 (KJV)
[SUP]17 [/SUP]The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

H

Hoffco

just-me, Thank you sooo much, as I before said to you, you are at your best when you quote scripture and pray. Those three verses are always on my mind. thanks for the reminder. I started a bad habit ,here in the Philippines. When Christians reject me for teaching, just talking, quoting the Bible, I would curse them in Jesus name, and delievered them to Satan for the distruction of their body, that their soul might be saved. Paul, in Gal. said if anyone preaches a different gospel, let them be cursed of God; I believe this is happening to several persons whom I have cursed ,to their face or in my mind.
You would not believe the stories I could tell you, of persons,who died ,got sick or others bad things, that God has done to those who have opposed me. I have stopped cursing ,out loud, because it cost me 200 dollars last yr.. There is a law over here against slandering people. I think it is like "hate speach". So, I keep my evil thoughts or anger, more to myself, now. I find it very hard to obey Eph.4:26 "Be angry, and do not sin:..." I try never to go to bed angry, but I have a loud voice, too much. It is along story, of how I developed being angry; I might share it some day. Mean while; these verses help so much: 1 Pet.5:7 ; Psa. 147:3 ; Psa. 51:17. thanks, Hoffco

Mar 4, 2013
Bless you heart Hoffco. I do hope that your life will be better as time passes. We all are still searching for that maturity.

Philippians 3:10-14 (KJV)
[SUP]10 [/SUP]That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
[SUP]11 [/SUP]If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
[SUP]13 [/SUP]Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
[SUP]14 [/SUP]I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

H

Hoffco

52 yrs. of rejection from the Bible believing Christians has taken a toll on me; and I know there is very little I could have done differently that would have stopped it. I have always been a contender for the Truth. Love to all, Hoffco Breakfast calls

H

Hoffco

It is a great joy for me to preach Gods word to a few wonderful Christians that come Sunday mornings. my wife does singing intheir language, then I lead the worship in english hymns and choirs. I preach, I don't allow women to preach. We have pancakes at 7am and lunch at 9or 10am.. Then we chat and the children play. It is such a delight for us and to God to see good fellowship. I have one rule, no one is to argue with the Bishop (me) of their souls; If they don't agree with me, they must be quite or don't come back and cause division. I do entertain questions and give God's answer, my interpretation, and have a bit of discusion about the issue ,quitely, or personally, in a Bible study time. Serveral have stopped coming and I don't hound them to come back. We smile and said hi when we meet on the street, but they stay away from church. I also witness to strangers on the jeepees as we travel about the city and hand out tracts at the mall. Love to all, Hoffco

H

Hoffco

just-me, I love the phil. 3:10-14 passage. I claim the power of Jusus resurrection for myself and for the salvation of others. I don't experience enough ot Gods power , I want more, and to see that power save more sinners in our ministry. I am far from perfect. And I see so Few saved. I love God's promise to forgive my sins and I try hard to forget all in the past and live in fresh grace each day. I fight the good fight of faith and fight for God's truth every day. I know this is a spiritual battle; But satan uses real live oeople against us, so I must have to wisely relate to them. to reprove, rebuke to encourage. Hoffco