Is keeping the Commandments and Laws of God Needed for Eternal Life?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

Eccl12and13

Readers.......there are some that claim salvation is a free gift and that it was this free gift of salvation that Jesus gave to ALL of mankind. This doctrine is completely false. Let's examine this claim to find if it lines up with scripture. But in order to do that we must also take into consideration other doctrines that too are false.

First...let's consider this false doctrine; Your salvation cannot be taken away. Well......if Jesus came to give the free gift of salvation to ALL of mankind, AND salvation cannot be taken away, that would mean that ALL of mankind will be saved!

But does this line up with scripture? Will ALL of mankind be spared dying the second death, which is the lake of fire? Absolutely not! Everyone is NOT going to be saved. Now let's read what the true free gift was that Jesus gave.

Rom.5
[16] And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
[17] For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
[18] Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
[19] For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Paul tells us that it was the free gift of Jesus Christ that came upon ALL men unto justification.

So YES! Christ did give ALL of mankind a free gift.....but was that free gift salvation? No! Let's back up a bit to find just what it was that justified ALL men, in other words, cleared men of their sins.

Rom.5
[8] But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
[9] Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
[10] For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

The free gift that Jesus gave that cleared ALL of mankind of their sins was His BLOOD! That was the free gift that He gave.....NOT salvation. Let's confirm;

Rom.3
[24] Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
[25] Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

So....what was the grace that cleared ALL of mankind of their sins? The BLOOD of Jesus. Let's confirm again;

Heb.9
[22] And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Again....what was the grace that allowed the remission of sin to all of mankind? The BLOOD of Jesus! Let's confirm this once more;

Heb.10
[4] For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
[5] Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
[6] In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
[7] Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
[8] Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
[9] Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
[10] By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Paul tells us that it was impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away the sins of man. He even tells us that God had no pleasure in killing innocent animals. But because God had a law that REQUIRED blood to remove sins He allowed it.

Notice what Paul writes, "Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;"

Now what law set the guidelines for animal sacrifice? Was it do not, kill, steal, covet or lie? No! It was the laws that were given to the Levitical Priest and their works/deeds of killing animals for the remission of sins.

But once Jesus came and shed His blood, that one sacrifice would be good for ALL of mankind. The shedding of Jesus blood ended the Levitical Priesthood. The shedding of Christ blood took away the law of animal sacrifice and established the law of faith.

Readers....it is clear that the free gift that Jesus gave to ALL of mankind was NOT salvation....it was the shedding of His BLOOD that removed the sins of the world.

Like I asked in the beginning of this post.....IF it was salvation that was given as the free gift......and IF salvation cannot be taken away, that would mean that ALL will be saved!

But as we know......ALL of mankind will NOT be saved! Some will die the second death, which is the lake of fire!

The shedding of Jesus BLOOD made it possible for ALL to be saved....if they receive God's words, have faith in God's words and OBEY God's words;

"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

E

Eccl12and13

Readers.....let's READ the word of God to find if keeping God's Commandments and laws are needed for eternal life.

Matt.22
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This is the first and great commandment.
[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

So what do we have above? TWO COMMANDMENTS! First we must love God with ALL that we have. And then we must love our neighbour.

These are not options. These are LAWS that MUST be kept. And how does God's word tells us we are to show our love towards God? Let's read it....

1 John 5
[2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
[3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

So......forgetting about any of the other laws that God gave us....if a Christian does NOT keep the above TWO Commandments.....will they be allowed into God's kingdom?

Now....are the (2) laws above the ONLY laws a Christian must keep? Let's read of another law. As a matter of fact....this next law, some claim, is the ONLY law one needs for salvation.

Rom. 3
[27] Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

So AGAIN we have yet ANOTHER law....the commandment to have FAITH! This too is NOT an option! We MUST have faith. And as we just read....having faith is a LAW!

So readers....again I ask....after reading God's word for yourselves.....

Is keeping the Commandments and Laws of God needed for Eternal Life?

Love God? A COMMANDMENT!
Love thy neighbor? A COMMANDMENT!
Have Faith? A COMMANDMENT!

Can a person that claims to be saved enter into God's kingdom and NOT keep the above Commandments?

Can salvation from dying the second death be expected if the above commandments are NOT kept?

Now let's read what does lead to eternal life if done....

Heb.5
[9] And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

And what is it we must obey?

Love God? A COMMANDMENT!
Love thy neighbor? A COMMANDMENT!
Have Faith? A COMMANDMENT!

Readers....in order for us to receive salvation we must first hear the word of God. Then we must decide if we are going to believe in what God's words tell us. Finally we must obey those words we heard and then had faith in. Let's confirm this with scripture;

Rom.10
[13] For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Now if we stopped here it would seem that all a person has to do is to call upon the name of the Lord. But how do we get to this point? How do you call on someone without first getting to know them? Let's read what is needed to egt to the point that we can call on the name of the Lord.

[14] How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?

So we must believe in the name of the Lord. But how do we get to having faith?

[14] ....... and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?

So before having faith we must hear about the man.

[14] ...... and how shall they hear without a preacher?

So in order to hear about Jesus we must receive the message of Him from a preacher.

[15] And how shall they preach, except they be sent?

And it cannot be from just any preacher...it must be one that is sent by God.

[16] But they have not all obeyed the gospel.

And now we read that along with hearing the word, having faith in the word...we must also OBEY those words that we have received.

[17] So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Now we see how faith is received. Faith comes by hearing the word of God.

Once you have faith THEN you can call on His name!

know1

Aug 27, 2012
Will not engage in hypothetical's.

Back to the laws of God and my other questions that were not answered;

Matt.22
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Again I ask yet 2 simple questions.....

Is keeping the above (2) laws needed to be allowed entrance into God's kingdom?

If a saint does NOT keep the above (2) laws can they expect to be saved from dying the second death, which is the lake of fire?
Two simple answers to the above two simple questions-
1. No.
2. Yes.

Now will you answer my simple, logical, hypothetical question please? I did use scripture, only with a bit of logic. thanks.

E

Eccl12and13

Two simple answers to the above two simple questions-
1. No.
2. Yes.

Now will you answer my simple, logical, hypothetical question please? I did use scripture, only with a bit of logic. thanks.
So you honestly believe that a person can receive salvation without having to do what Christ said IS needed to receive salvation!

So even though Christ said;

"And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."

" Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."

And the scriptures says this about loving God;

"By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments."

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

And even though we are given instructions to obey the words of God;

""And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

You believe there is ANOTHER way you can receive salvation?

Was Jesus lying when He said to keep the commandments for eternal life?

Interesting!

Now why would I engage any further conversations with someone that believe they do NOT have to love God, or their neighbor, but STILL expect to receive salvation?

know1

Aug 27, 2012

You believe there is ANOTHER way you can receive salvation?
Was Jesus lying when He said to keep the commandments for eternal life?
Interesting!
Now why would I engage any further conversations with someone that believe they do NOT have to love God, or their neighbor, but STILL expect to receive salvation?
Thank you sir, for attempting to answer my questions.
Yes, I believe there is another way to receive salvation, and it the very same scripture I asked you to answer concerning half truths. Does God give half or partial truths and yet still be considered truth?

Joh_1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Simply put sir, Jesus was walking under the old covenant, the new hadn't started yet. Under the old covenant, to the Jews had the law. Under the new, it is Grace.
To answer your last questions, again, is simple. The person repents and finds Grace with God. Now after a person repents and starts loving God and you again, are they once again going to heaven?

E

Eccl12and13

The person repents and finds Grace with God. Now after a person repents and starts loving God and you again, are they once again going to heaven?

Why do you continue to ask questions that NOBODY but God knows the answer to?

The only thing I know for sure is the following;

Matt.16
[27] For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Dec 25, 2012
The 10 Commandments were give so that we can recognize how sinful we really are. The law is a mirror showing us what is right and wrong. We can't look at it and find ourselves perfect before it. No one is perfect, therefore no one can enter heaven. BUT! We can have forgiveness of our sins (lawlessness) thru Jesus. But if we never knew what sin is, then why would we want Jesus? Don't you think God is smart to bring it down to such a simple level so that everyone can grasp what the key is? So to answer the original question from months ago... No keeping the 10 Commandments will not gain you entrance to heaven and this knowledge will bring you closer to knowing that the only way into God's grace is thru Jesus.

There are many roads to God, but only one door!

E

Eccl12and13

So to answer the original question from months ago... No keeping the 10 Commandments will not gain you entrance to heaven and this knowledge will bring you closer to knowing that the only way into God's grace is thru Jesus.

There are many roads to God, but only one door!
The question was, "Is keeping the Commandments and Laws of God Needed for Eternal Life?", not just the 10 commandments. For we must also have faith, which is a commandment that is not part of the 10.

Here is what Jesus tells us is needed for eternal life. But let's first read the question that was asked of Him;

Matt.19
[16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

So here we have a very plain yet direct question. Now let's read the answer.....

[17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
[19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Question asked.....question answered!

Now let's read the condensed version....;

Matt.22

So instead of repeating ALL of God's laws Jesus simply tells us to keep the (2) laws of loving God and loving your neighbor. If you love God you will not lie, steal, kill, covet worship idols and so on. If you love God you will also have FAITH in His words and obey them. If you love your neighbor you will not lie, steal, covet kill or break any of God's other laws against your neighbor. And how about having respect of person? Can we say we love our neighbor and yet have respect of persons? Is having respect of person part of the 10?

So we have Jesus...the one that will judge ALL of the world telling us we need to keep God's laws for eternal life. Then He condenses them into just (2) laws; Love God and love your neighbor.

Now was Jesus lying when He said we need to keep God's laws in order to receive eternal life?

Consider this....the grace that was given by Christ was the shedding of His blood. It was His Blood that allowed ALL of mankind to receive salvation. But now that grace (the shedding of Christ blood) has been given, do we now forget about God's laws? Let's read what I just said from another viewpoint;

Rom.6
[1] What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

So....do we continue to break God's laws even though we have grace?

E

Eccl12and13

Well readers......what say ye? Shall we continue to break God's laws even though we have been justified by the blood of Jesus? Let's read the answer;

Rom.6
[15] What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

NO! We are NOT to continue to break God's laws.

And if we are not breaking God's laws that can only mean one thing; We are KEEPING God's laws!

know1

Aug 27, 2012
Why do you continue to ask questions that NOBODY but God knows the answer to?
Okay, let's skip that question for now and go to the question that you have dodged three times now. I repeat, Does God give half or partial truths and yet it still be considered truth?

Joh_1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Is this an incomplete, partial truth or is this good enough to get saved with?
How are you suppose to convert anyone to believe as you do, if no one understands what you are saying? I am trying to find out and understand, what you believe a person must do to have eternal life. I know about obeying the commandments of God after one is saved, but how does one initially get saved in your faith?

E

Eccl12and13

Okay, let's skip that question for now and go to the question that you have dodged three times now. I repeat, Does God give half or partial truths and yet it still be considered truth?

Is this an incomplete, partial truth or is this good enough to get saved with?
How are you suppose to convert anyone to believe as you do, if no one understands what you are saying? I am trying to find out and understand, what you believe a person must do to have eternal life. I know about obeying the commandments of God after one is saved, but how does one initially get saved in your faith?
First of all...I have no idea what you are talking about when you present the following;

"Does God give half or partial truths and yet it still be considered truth?"
"Is this an incomplete, partial truth or is this good enough to get saved with?"

The God I serve ONLY deals in the truth. With Him it is either black or white, yes or no, right or wrong! His words tells me He does not change; "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

And second...I do not have a faith...a religion. Did Christ have a faith other than the words of God? Did Christ have a religion? I am a Christian. I only believe what God's words tell me. And from Gen. to Rev. over and over again man is told to do one thing and one thing only; OBEY GOD! And what does that entail? Just what He has told us from the beginning;

Deut.8
[3] And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

Matt.4
[4] But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Every word would be everything from Gen. to Rev. And if that were not enough He left us with this;

Eccl.12
[13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

And if we needed more He also left us this;

Matt.19
[16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
[17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

And then...just to make it easy He gave us this;

Matt.22
[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Then He had one of His followers to leave us this;

1 Cor.15
[33] Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
[34] Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

And then.....if we missed ALL that was written....in the last chapter of the last book of the bible we are given the following;

Rev.22
[14] Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

You will not find one servant of God that taught AGAINST keeping God's laws and commandments. But you will find that ALL of God's servants endorsed keeping God's laws and commandments!

What caused man to need a savior? The breaking of God's law!

And now that we have been redeemed from having to die the second death you want me to now believe that I do not have to keep God's laws for salvation? It was the breaking of God's law that caused me to loose salvation!

You ask, How does one start on their journey toward salvation? God's word has already given us the way.

Readers....in order for us to receive salvation we must first hear the word of God. Then we must decide if we are going to believe in what God's words tell us. Finally we must obey those words we heard and then had faith in. Let's confirm this with scripture;

Rom.10

Now if we stopped here it would seem that all a person has to do is to call upon the name of the Lord. But how do we get to this point? How do you call on someone without first getting to know them? Let's read what is needed to get to the point that we can call on the name of the Lord and do as instructed; OBEY HIM!

[14] How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?

So we must believe in the name of the Lord. But how do we get to having faith?

[14] ....... and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?

So before having faith we must hear about the man.

[14] ...... and how shall they hear without a preacher?

So in order to hear about Jesus we must receive the message of Him from a preacher.

[15] And how shall they preach, except they be sent?

And it cannot be from just any preacher...it must be one that is sent by God.

[16] But they have not all obeyed the gospel.

And now we read that along with hearing the word, having faith in the word...we must also OBEY those words that we have received.

[17] So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Now we see how faith is received. Faith comes by hearing the word of God.

And what do you do once you have faith in the words you have been given?

We do as servants are supposed to do!

"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

know1

Aug 27, 2012
First of all...I have no idea what you are talking about when you present the following;

"Does God give half or partial truths and yet it still be considered truth?"
"Is this an incomplete, partial truth or is this good enough to get saved with?"

And second...I do not have a faith...a religion. Did Christ have a faith other than the words of God? Did Christ have a religion? I am a Christian. I only believe what God's words tell me. And from Gen. to Rev. over and over again man is told to do one thing and one thing only; OBEY GOD! And what does that entail? Just what He has told us from the beginning;

And now that we have been redeemed from having to die the second death you want me to now believe that I do not have to keep God's laws for salvation? It was the breaking of God's law that caused me to loose salvation!

You ask, How does one start on their journey toward salvation? God's word has already given us the way.

Rom.10

We do as servants are supposed to do!

Thank you for your honesty. I think I understand why you believe what you do, but I think you are missing something. Salvation is not about doing, it's about being. It's about who you are, not what you do. I am not a child of God because of my works but because Christ is in me. The good works and obedience to His commandments/laws will follow because it is Jesus in me that causes me both to will and do of His good pleasure.

1Jn_5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

You are a new creature when Christ is in you. If He is not in you, you have no life, and He doesn't just pop in and out of your heart bases upon your works for that day. If your heart has not been converted with a new spirit and the Spirit of God in you, as it is written in Ezekiel, you have no life in you.

Eze 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and [He will] cause you to walk in my statutes, and[then] ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

After you have the Son of God with the Spirit of God in your heart, you ARE a born again christian, a saved child of God, redeemed, sanctified, made holy and righteous before God, having eternal life with the Father in heaven.
The problem with what you are saying is the emphasis put in the doing rather than just being.
My son and daughter will always be just that, regardless of what they do in life, because they are and always will be my children, not because they will be through obedience. I like them more if they obey, but if they don't, there status as my children remains the same.
Do you understand what I am saying?

E

Eccl12and13

My son and daughter will always be just that, regardless of what they do in life, because they are and always will be my children, not because they will be through obedience. I like them more if they obey, but if they don't, there status as my children remains the same.
Do you understand what I am saying?
I understand what you are saying. But even though God considers ALL of mankind to be His children, what is it that He requires to prove His children know Him and loves Him?

1 John 2
[3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3
[22] And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
[24] And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John 5
[2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
[3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2 John 1
[6] And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

God's words tells us to obey and keep His commandments;

Matt.5
[19] Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Doing anything other than that would be breaking God's laws.

That's what I believe. That's what I teach my son; To fear God and Keep His commandments!

Not trying to change anyone's mind here. Just presenting the word of God.

If there are those that believe keeping God's laws and commandments are not needed for eternal life then sobeit.

As for me and my family;

"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them."

We choose life! We choose to OBEY!

know1

Aug 27, 2012
I understand what you are saying. But even though God considers ALL of mankind to be His children, what is it that He requires to prove His children know Him and loves Him?

An honest answer again. Thank you.
I would however like to correct you on the above statement. Only those who have received Jesus in their heart are children of God. The rest, except for children, are children of the devil.

Joh_8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

It all boils down to whose spirit is in you.

E

Eccl12and13

An honest answer again. Thank you.
I would however like to correct you on the above statement. Only those who have received Jesus in their heart are children of God. The rest, except for children, are children of the devil.

Joh_8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

It all boils down to whose spirit is in you.

Agreed! And which one you will be lead by! Take care.