Is there an Unpardonable Sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

next_step

The sad thing is you try. You cannot prove anything to me because I trust the Holy Spirit for my understanding, not the false teaching of false teachers purposely distorting God's word.
No you obviously trust yourself. All you do is to look at yourself. The evidence is so clear. I was naive to believe it would be enaugh to remind people of Romans 6. There is faith that does not save.

This doctrine is a faith-destroying "christian" version of legalism. You don't discern, they way you interpret the bible I could proof anything to you. And I could back up myself with the same schwärmerei.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2009
No you obviously trust yourself. All you do is to look at yourself. The evidence is so clear. I was naive to believe it would be enaugh to remind people of Romans 6. There is faith that does not save.

This doctrine is a faith-destroying "christian" version of legalism. You don't discern, they way you interpret the bible I could proof anything to you. And I could back up myself with the same schwärmerei.
You obviously do not know me nor the scriptures at all.

J

jimmydiggs

One would think, the only unpardonable thing to do, would be to not accept Christ as savior.

Jan 8, 2009
No there are others. Not accepting Christ as saviour is the sin of unbelief. There are worse sins.

M

missionary2

Is there an unpardonable sin?

Some Christians who love the lord believe there is no such thing as an unpardonable sin. They say that for God not to forgive a certain sin goes against the very nature of God. "who forgives all our sins"

Psalm 103:3

QUOTE Psalm 103:3 (New King James Version)
3 Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,

They say that to say there is an unpardonable sin is to deny the free, abundant grace God wants to give every person. But the word clearly says

QUOTE " And i tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men , but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or the age to come. " (Matthew 12:31:32)

From the above scripture we can understand three things.
1. All sin will be forgiven except one.
2. Blasphemy is equated with speaking against the Holy Spirit
3.Such Blasphemy is an eternal sin that has no forgiveness in this age or the age to come.

It is clear that this is a very serious sin.

First off, Lets discuss what the unpardonable sin IS NOT
the unpardonable, or unforgivable sin is not the "sin which leads to death." mentioned in 1 John 5:16 which says

QUOTE 1 John 5:16 (New King James Version)
16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.

This sin spoken of here in the above verse; which is a sin that leads to death, would be a sin such as Alcoholism which totally destroys a persons liver and leads to death... While this person can come to the lord and be saved, they die because of the consequences of the sins. This could be drug addicts... even murderers in prison who have to pay for their crimes by death... Yet... they are born again of the Spirit and shall live eternal lives with Jesus.

So there are sins which lead to death, but this sin is not the unpardonable sin.

The unpardonable sin is not a s*xual sin

The Corinthian church was full of converted Adulterers, fornicators, homosexuals who once had lived in immorality, but now were washed and sanctified in the blood of Jesus (1 cor 6:11)

The unpardonable sin is not suicide or murder

Paul himself had been a murderer and if a person commits suicide, Gods word clearly says in Romans

QUOTE Romans 8:38 (New King James Version)
38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The unpardonable sin is not grieving or quenching the Holy Spirit by a believer

1 Thessalonians 5:19, Paul exhorts us not to quench the Spirit. Eph 4:30 tells us not to grieve the Holy Spirit, but as Christians, we sometimes do both and they are forgiven because they are under the blood of Jesus which washes us from all our sins

QUOTE 1 John 1:7 (New King James Version)
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Simply put, the unpardonable sin cannot be committed by any believer

Now, in context of the scripture, lets take a look at exactly WHAT IS THE UNPARDONABLE SIN

QUOTE Matthew 12:22 (New King James Version)
22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and[a] mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said,Could this be the Son of David? 24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub,[a] the ruler of the demons.

The Pharisees said He was doing His mighty work by the power of satan, rather than God.

The religious leaders of the day had reached such a low state of spirtual decay that they called evil good and good evil. They refused to accept that Jesus was the promised Messiah. Their sin then , was the repeated rejection of Jesus as the Christ until they no longer were able to accept Him for who He was.

Now, the Word of God clearly teaches us that it is the Holy Spirit who brings truth to men. The Holy Spirit is the God ordained vehicle by which every man comes to know Jesus. The Holy Spirit is God's instrument of revelation of God to man, and, the Holy Spirit alone enables man to know the truth when they see it.

So.... the Pharisees rejected God's only vehicle , the only means God uses to direct them to the truth of who Jesus was. Doing this, cut them off from God's grace.

To continually reject the Holy Spirit is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit and to leave that person outside of God's grace. To continually reject the Holy Spirit is to reject the message which the Holy Spirit brings... The Gospel of Jesus Christ which is able to save us.
To reject the message is to reject repentance. To reject repentance is to reject salvation. If we reject God's salvation enough times, we can reach a state where we are beyond being reachable by the Gospel message... we've sealed our fate...

But God is longsuffering and desires that none would perish. It is accounted unto all man once to die. We have this one life to live and this one life in which we can turn to Jesus or reject Him.

So.. to Blaspheme the Holy Spirit cannot be done by a believer. To blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to reject the vehicle of salvation.. it is to reject the saving Grace which Jesus died upon the cross to give to all mankind.

To blaspheme the Holy Spirit is the only sin which leaves one outside of Gods grace.

its rejecting Jesus

DS.
Some desire to see a little bit more proof: Luke 12:10; Mark3:28-29; Rev.16:8-11: but even in this we have all at one time or another have blasphemed the God of our salvation in ignorance, but the Lord showed me something in the last scripture of the eleventh verse..."repented not"...that's the unpardonable sin.

Feb 9, 2010
There is no forgiveness for blasphemy against the Holy Spirit,either in this world or the world to come.

The Bible says that a person can blapheme the Son(flesh) and be forgiven but cannot blaspheme against the Spirit.

The New Age religion,which is the religion God warns us about,that put out an occultic interpretation of Christianity,in 1 Timothy chapter 4,and will teach people that occultic interpretation of Christianity,blasphemes against the Holy Spirit,for they say the Bible is of the occult,and Jesus is a 4th degree adept in the occult,when the occult is of the devil and not of the Holy Spirit.

The New Age religion will be the Christianity they will accept in the one world religious system,and while they think it is of God and Jesus,it blasphemes against the Holy Spirit,by saying Christianity is of the occult.

Matt

Jun 24, 2010
Just a couple of thoughts on this subject. If blaspheming the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable 'sin' then how would one be able to repent of that sin which can not be forgiven. This blasphemy has it roots in unbelief but it has to be more than unbelief because blasphemy against the Son is forgivable.

The scriptures in Mt 12:31 never refer to this blasphemy against the Holy Spirit as sin, in this life or the next one to come. For some reason we assume that it is referring to sin because the word 'forgiveness' is used. The word 'evil' is used in this context and chapter many times. Perhaps evil is what Jesus is referring to concerning what is not forgivable and not sin. I think that we can agree that Christ died and shed his blood for sin and for sins but did not die for evil. So if blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is referring to evil then it is understandable that it would be 'unforgivable' in this life and the next because it is not referring to sin.

Jesus taught his disciple to pray saying, ...deliver us from evil (Mt 6:13). Perhaps those that have blasphemed the Holy Spirit with their mouth need to be delivered from that evil first and then they would be able to see God's salvation that he provides by grace. It also says in (Mk 3:29) that those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit are 'in danger of' eternal ****ation. If only 'in danger of', then there must be a remedy for them that would remove them from that danger. Perhaps we can apply repentance to the evil of blasphemy that we might be delivered to receive the mercy and grace of God for salvation and the forgiveness of sin.

C

Crazy4GODword

I know that suicide is a unforgivable sin, because you can't ask for forgiveness after you do it and you are playing GOD by taking your own life. but GOD forgive any sin that you have committed (while you are still alive)

A

AgeofKnowledge

Matthew 12:31 only lists one sin that is not forgiven. Many Protestant apologetical organizations concur such as CARM, for example If a Christian commits suicide, is he still forgiven? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

However, the Catholic church and some Protestant groups take a different view and have their own argumentation for their position that suicide is not forgiven.

My own view is that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, a very serious sin (e.g. murder of oneself), and not to be tried: ever. As to whether or not it can be forgiven, I don't truly know for sure. My studies lead me to believe that Jesus paid the price for all sin, except the one mentioned in Matthew 12:31, past, present, and future and that includes suicide; however, this is one of those very serious topics that nobody in their right mind would want find out for sure.

Speaking of which, some groups differentiate between someone who is insane or not in their right mind and one who is in their right mind.

Nov 27, 2013
Matthew 12: 31,32; says that even if you blaspheme or speak "a word against the Son of man (Jesus Christ), IT WILL BE FORGIVEN HIM....". However, " ....but whoever SPEAKS A WORD against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things, nor that to come." This verse also, shows and proves that Jesus and Jehovah God are NOT the same person, or part of some three headed monstrosity called the Trinity. They are NOT equal. They are two separate distinct spirit persons. Blaspheming is abusive sacrilegious SPEECH against the active force, God's holy spirit; and since Jehovah is the Source of holy spirit, those blaspheming against the holy spirit are really SPEAKING AGAINST GOD, NOT JESUS CHRIST.
Is there an unpardonable sin?

Some Christians who love the lord believe there is no such thing as an unpardonable sin. They say that for God not to forgive a certain sin goes against the very nature of God. "who forgives all our sins"

Psalm 103:3

QUOTE Psalm 103:3 (New King James Version)
3 Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,

They say that to say there is an unpardonable sin is to deny the free, abundant grace God wants to give every person. But the word clearly says

QUOTE " And i tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men , but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or the age to come. " (Matthew 12:31:32)

From the above scripture we can understand three things.
1. All sin will be forgiven except one.
2. Blasphemy is equated with speaking against the Holy Spirit
3.Such Blasphemy is an eternal sin that has no forgiveness in this age or the age to come.

It is clear that this is a very serious sin.

First off, Lets discuss what the unpardonable sin IS NOT
the unpardonable, or unforgivable sin is not the "sin which leads to death." mentioned in 1 John 5:16 which says

QUOTE 1 John 5:16 (New King James Version)
16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.

This sin spoken of here in the above verse; which is a sin that leads to death, would be a sin such as Alcoholism which totally destroys a persons liver and leads to death... While this person can come to the lord and be saved, they die because of the consequences of the sins. This could be drug addicts... even murderers in prison who have to pay for their crimes by death... Yet... they are born again of the Spirit and shall live eternal lives with Jesus.

So there are sins which lead to death, but this sin is not the unpardonable sin.

The unpardonable sin is not a s*xual sin

The Corinthian church was full of converted Adulterers, fornicators, homosexuals who once had lived in immorality, but now were washed and sanctified in the blood of Jesus (1 cor 6:11)

The unpardonable sin is not suicide or murder

Paul himself had been a murderer and if a person commits suicide, Gods word clearly says in Romans

QUOTE Romans 8:38 (New King James Version)
38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The unpardonable sin is not grieving or quenching the Holy Spirit by a believer

1 Thessalonians 5:19, Paul exhorts us not to quench the Spirit. Eph 4:30 tells us not to grieve the Holy Spirit, but as Christians, we sometimes do both and they are forgiven because they are under the blood of Jesus which washes us from all our sins

QUOTE 1 John 1:7 (New King James Version)
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Simply put, the unpardonable sin cannot be committed by any believer

Now, in context of the scripture, lets take a look at exactly WHAT IS THE UNPARDONABLE SIN

QUOTE Matthew 12:22 (New King James Version)
22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and[a] mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said,Could this be the Son of David? 24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub,[a] the ruler of the demons.

The Pharisees said He was doing His mighty work by the power of satan, rather than God.

The religious leaders of the day had reached such a low state of spirtual decay that they called evil good and good evil. They refused to accept that Jesus was the promised Messiah. Their sin then , was the repeated rejection of Jesus as the Christ until they no longer were able to accept Him for who He was.

Now, the Word of God clearly teaches us that it is the Holy Spirit who brings truth to men. The Holy Spirit is the God ordained vehicle by which every man comes to know Jesus. The Holy Spirit is God's instrument of revelation of God to man, and, the Holy Spirit alone enables man to know the truth when they see it.

So.... the Pharisees rejected God's only vehicle , the only means God uses to direct them to the truth of who Jesus was. Doing this, cut them off from God's grace.

To continually reject the Holy Spirit is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit and to leave that person outside of God's grace. To continually reject the Holy Spirit is to reject the message which the Holy Spirit brings... The Gospel of Jesus Christ which is able to save us.
To reject the message is to reject repentance. To reject repentance is to reject salvation. If we reject God's salvation enough times, we can reach a state where we are beyond being reachable by the Gospel message... we've sealed our fate...

But God is longsuffering and desires that none would perish. It is accounted unto all man once to die. We have this one life to live and this one life in which we can turn to Jesus or reject Him.

So.. to Blaspheme the Holy Spirit cannot be done by a believer. To blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to reject the vehicle of salvation.. it is to reject the saving Grace which Jesus died upon the cross to give to all mankind.

To blaspheme the Holy Spirit is the only sin which leaves one outside of Gods grace.

its rejecting Jesus

DS.

Nov 27, 2013
Matthew 12: 31,32; says that even if you blaspheme or speak "a word against the Son of man (Jesus Christ), IT WILL BE FORGIVEN HIM....". However, " ....but whoever SPEAKS A WORD against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things, nor that to come." This verse also, shows and proves that Jesus and Jehovah God are NOT the same person, or part of some three headed monstrosity called the Trinity. They are NOT equal. They are two separate distinct spirit persons. Blaspheming is abusive sacrilegious SPEECH against the active force, God's holy spirit; and since Jehovah is the Source of holy spirit, those blaspheming against the holy spirit are really SPEAKING AGAINST GOD, NOT JESUS CHRIST.
......The Pharisees and the Sadducees were religious leaders in Jesus day. They claimed to follow the Mosaic Law meticulously, yet Jesus called them blasphemers of the holy spirit. They were believers in their own mind.

P

PrestonMatthew7

Amen, the truth shall make you free. I am so thankful that Jesus is willing to forgive all of your iniquities, if you would just repent and place your trust in Him. Glory to God. Amen

laoshanlung

Apr 21, 2015
*Sniff* *Sob*... I couldn't have said it better myself. :)