Is tithing our 10%of income part of being a Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
I think it's not a coincidence that we see tithe being preached from pulpits from "christians" to "christians" (christians being those with direct access to the holiest of all), and at the same time equality and all things common are like cuss words in the church. The more time you spend arguing over something soooo easily understood from the perspective of real love...the more time you spend distracted from real love performance and body language. Preaching that christians should tithe to christians is confusion...and we know where that comes from.

john832

May 31, 2013
:rolleyes: Sure, I'm a Pharisee (minus all that stuff that actually made one a Pharisee).

You're the one saying the law ought to be followed, but you refuse to even acknowledge what it says about the tithe. BTW, that doesn't make you a Pharisee - Pharisees would have recognized that you don't follow the law.
Never said you were, I am the one that is usually called a Pharisee here.

but that is a very unique and clever statement about not following the Law, I have never heard that one before. (rolls eyes)

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
Those with inheritance in the land are still required to tithe to the everlasting priestthood...which suffers itself to be defrauded by the world (those who have inheritance in the land/their own stuff).

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
If you confess with your mouth that stuff is your own...you have "your kids"..."your house"..."your car"..."your time"..."your body"...

And you also confess the same with body LANGUAGE...then you testify with two that your inheritance is of this world...and should tithe.

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
So for the tithe, the commands in the Torah are pretty explicit. The tithe is explicitly produce one has grown from the ground or one's own livestock. You can read into it anything you feel like, but it won't change what the text actually says.
One thing I don't understand about literalist interpretation is how it will quickly turn into a "between the lines" and it "clearly it implies (different from literal and plain) this" kinda thing where church tradition or sanctification of the believer is concerned. And this sometimes within the same context of the same topic.

Mar 10, 2015
My point is that Pastors should be concerned with ministering to people then how much his paycheck is or where his next position will be up the hierarchical system of clergymen.

People love taking ministry from a Pastor but very few give back. It is an 80/20 rule like anywhere else. 80% of the church take, but only about 20% give.

The 20% that give are the same that give their time, their energy and financially.

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
People love taking ministry from a Pastor but very few give back. It is an 80/20 rule like anywhere else. 80% of the church take, but only about 20% give.

The 20% that give are the same that give their time, their energy and financially.
That is a problem. But I wonder if there's more to it than it being a "requirement" or lack thereof. I remember hearing Jehovah's Witnesses talk about how all their Kingdom Halls were built on donations. I don't know the details of all that, but they do seem more passionate about their witnessing. Right motives or not, correct doctrine or not - you don't see many Christians going out of their way to do that, and some even criticize them for their desire to see people accept Jesus.

I'm not saying they all do it for the right reasons, but it seems that that sect, and Mormons, are far more passionate about spreading the message - but Christians are not. Perhaps there's a correlation between giving, and passion.

Perhaps many Christians are in church because it is fashionable, or expected. And if they can get away with it, they probably won't give a lot to something they are only doing to appease society or friends/family.

Last edited:

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
How many people honestly know how their church budgets funds? From my experience, most members give money and don't follow up with doing their part to make sure it's spent wisely.
Our church that I went to had an annual meeting to discuss budget - and they have a session every week I believe to induct new members or discuss issues - regular members of the church, most of them are, but they earn they right to influence heavily certain decisions with their faithfulness. Starting with being inducted in the session. But the numbers were never hid from anyone - ANYONE in the church could get a hard copy of the budget. The pastor was very interested in what people in the church thought was best. Not that he did everything anyone wanted, but he listened.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2015
That is a problem. But I wonder if there's more to it than it being a "requirement" or lack thereof. I remember hearing Jehovah's Witnesses talk about how all their Kingdom Halls were built on donations. I don't know the details of all that, but they do seem more passionate about their witnessing. Right motives or not, correct doctrine or not - you don't see many Christians going out of their way to do that, and some even criticize them for their desire to see people accept Jesus.

I'm not saying they all do it for the right reasons, but it seems that that sect, and Mormons, are far more passionate about spreading the message - but Christians are not. Perhaps there's a correlation between giving, and passion.

Perhaps many Christians are in church because it is fashionable, or expected. And if they can get away with it, they probably won't give a lot to something they are only doing to appease society or friends/family.
I have told people that if they refuse to give to God's house generously and with cheerful heart, they will never go anywhere with God that inconveniences them.

I am not talking about salaries here at all. I am speaking about giving to the church as a whole.

Today it seems that most just do not understand that it takes money to run a church or a ministry. I think sometimes people just think that churches/ministries are exempt from resource burden.

To be fair there is a lot of debate on programs, worship, etc. I am not going there. I am speaking in the simplest general terms of giving.

For example, we are in a traveling ministry. I am invited to speak at revivals, camp meetings, Sunday services, etc.

I remember one person in a church we were the guest speaker in throw a fit with me. He siad there is no reaosn his church should be burdened with giving me a love offering. I am called to serve the church and such had no business receiving offerings from churches as payment. I should have a part time job to pay my way, blah, blah, blah...

I asked him if it even occurred to him that it took me $120 in gas one way to get to the church.

it made him think really hard. He walked away thought about it and came back over a while later and asked me, you really have to fill your tank to get here? Yes, I replied. and on an average month I put easily 800-2,000 miles on our "new" 2013 Car. oh wow, I never thought about those things.

I was not mad and it sounds silly and border line unbelievable, but it really is how many Christians think.

When we had a church, I remember the same tired old arguments about my pay and church bills.

I remember one board meeting that got real heated up because a board member had many in the church come to him and tell him to tell me, we do not believe giving towards the church is Biblical. I do not beleive in asking for tithes, so please do not get confused. I was not asking them for tithes.

SO I decided to do something about it. We started service on a sunday morning in the dark and without microphones or AC, or any form of electricity and it was summer.

When the board members and people asked what was going on at the beginning of service, I said, well the board told me you did not think any form of giving to the church was Biblical, but I have to remind you all, that the light bill still has to be paid at the same time every month and just so were are clear the water bill, which runs the restrooms and water fountains also has to be paid every month.

When the offering time came, people gave like never before. I turned on the power and we had one of the best moves of God in a very long time in that little church.

People came up to me after service and made similar statements like the man above. WOW, I never realized my giving was keeping lights on or water running.

We are debt free and our ministry is debt free. I believe strongly churches should be debt free. If God is behind it, he will line up the resources to pay for it. Churches taking on debt is simply bad business.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
My thoughts on the tithe:

The most important responsibility God has given believers is: Mt 28:19-20
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
KJV

Since the time the church at Antioch sent Paul and Barnabas as missionaries it has been recognized that this commission can be better obeyed by co-operative effort than by individual effort.

Pastors have families who need food and shelter.

Congregations tend to want a comfortable well equipped place to worship and receive instruction.

Bearing each others burdens when facing crisies is best done by co-operative effort.

to provide for these needs and desires churches make budgets and receive monetary offerings.

If you are in the church God has called you to, you are responsible to contribute as you are able to help provide these things.

If you are not in the church God has called you to; you better move to where you belong.