OCD and its Effects on Your Religious Faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 30, 2023
Nottinghamshire
I don't know if anyone else here struggles with OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder) but it steals a lot of things away from you and that means the things you hold the most dear. For me, one of those things is God and Christianity. The doubts that get put in my head by the voice that is not my own give me a lot of anxiety, It affects every aspect of my life not just my faith, There have been multiple times when I've considered or thought that this voice (it's very clearly sperate from my own inner voice or dialogue) is of something demonic which is not something I've brought up with therapists as they'd probably send me to the nut house straight away lol but seriously I still do feel its evil and I am considering bringing this up to a priest in the near future. I know mental illness is its own separate thing and I'm not denying I suffer with it but it's just something I've always thought about but try not to as it scares me somewhat. I think other than it being outright evil to me, the fact that it only manifested in my head when I was nine years old makes me wonder more whether this is more than just a mental illness, especially whenever I try to get more religious it hates it and it will make me feel anxious about doing so. To move onto a more lighter topic (sort of) I did attend church last Sunday, one was more modern (I didn't like it) and the other was a mass: so catholic, I have reached out and received replies from both a catholic and orthodox church and I've been put on a journey to faith course for both, I want to let the Holy spirit guide me so hence why I'm going on both learning adventures, it will be overwhelming I am aware but I pray no matter how tough it might get I stay the course so any prayers for me would be much appreciated and I hope you're keeping well and steadfast to the Lord Jesus Christ and if you fell off the road to Him I pray you come back on it because it's worth it.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
I pray no matter how tough it might get I stay the course so any prayers for me would be much appreciated and I hope you're keeping well and steadfast to the Lord Jesus Christ and if you fell off the road to Him I pray you come back on it because it's worth it.
Precious friend, I will certainly pray for you.
Hope this also helps:

Grace Word for our infirmities!

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II). ← PG Rated "Approved" *

Grace, Peace, And JOY!… + RICH Blessings ♫ 😇 ↑

* PG: Perfect God / Parental Guidance

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I don't know if anyone else here struggles with OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder) but it steals a lot of things away from you and that means the things you hold the most dear. For me, one of those things is God and Christianity. The doubts that get put in my head by the voice that is not my own give me a lot of anxiety, It affects every aspect of my life not just my faith, There have been multiple times when I've considered or thought that this voice (it's very clearly sperate from my own inner voice or dialogue) is of something demonic which is not something I've brought up with therapists as they'd probably send me to the nut house straight away lol but seriously I still do feel its evil and I am considering bringing this up to a priest in the near future. I know mental illness is its own separate thing and I'm not denying I suffer with it but it's just something I've always thought about but try not to as it scares me somewhat. I think other than it being outright evil to me, the fact that it only manifested in my head when I was nine years old makes me wonder more whether this is more than just a mental illness, especially whenever I try to get more religious it hates it and it will make me feel anxious about doing so. To move onto a more lighter topic (sort of) I did attend church last Sunday, one was more modern (I didn't like it) and the other was a mass: so catholic, I have reached out and received replies from both a catholic and orthodox church and I've been put on a journey to faith course for both, I want to let the Holy spirit guide me so hence why I'm going on both learning adventures, it will be overwhelming I am aware but I pray no matter how tough it might get I stay the course so any prayers for me would be much appreciated and I hope you're keeping well and steadfast to the Lord Jesus Christ and if you fell off the road to Him I pray you come back on it because it's worth it.
Welcome to CC.
Good to see mental health topics brought up here, but beware while some will be supportive there are also quite a few that will have a lot of negative comments. As a person with mental illness and who has known many with it as well, I support the idea of discussing it.
Catholicism is not a well recieved belief here. Most users, and the official site stance, is against it. But it can be discussed within reason. I'm not sure the exact view on orthodox, but it does seem to be more well recieved than Catholicism. So be aware of that moving forward, so you can know what to expect.
Using paragraphs will make your posts easier to read, thus allowing more users to read and comment.

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
Welcome back.

Jul 30, 2023
Nottinghamshire
Jul 30, 2023
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to CC.
Good to see mental health topics brought up here, but beware while some will be supportive there are also quite a few that will have a lot of negative comments. As a person with mental illness and who has known many with it as well, I support the idea of discussing it.
Catholicism is not a well recieved belief here. Most users, and the official site stance, is against it. But it can be discussed within reason. I'm not sure the exact view on orthodox, but it does seem to be more well recieved than Catholicism. So be aware of that moving forward, so you can know what to expect.
Using paragraphs will make your posts easier to read, thus allowing more users to read and comment.
Thank you, I think mental health is so important especially when it comes to faith, your mind can be your biggest enemy sometimes and it's good to know God is always with you and will you give you the strength to go on but I obviously would advise anyone to seek professional help and spiritual help as I think they can go hand in hand.

I have noticed in general (not just on here) that catholicism has a bad wrap for some reason, I might know why that is but I do tend to have a cultural bias towards the faith as I'm of Irish descent so I'd be lying if I said that isn't one of the reasons I'm looking into it. Thank you for warning me though. I'm sure people mean well and I know things can get a little touchy when it comes to beliefs people hold so strongly so I will try my best not to step on any toes.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
You are so correct. That evil enemy we have will try to put in our head whatever distracts us from God and His word.

JPPT1974

May 16, 2015
East TN
Praying for you as you really gone through something like that. As I had to get some medication and seek counseling. As it took the right kind of both counseling and medication to get me on the right path. Praying for you my friend. Welcome to the forums.

Underwhosewings

Jan 19, 2023
Australia
Reminding myself here….
It’s so helpful to be aware of the enemies devices.

2 Corinthians 2:11 KJV
Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

Revelation 12:10 KJV
….the accuser of our brethren is cast down,…

Daniel 7:25 KJV
and shall wear out the saints of the most High,…

1 Peter 5:8 KJV
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

He will only attack your weaknesses.
Whatever it may be.
So it’s any wonder the scriptures say,

1 Corinthians 15:31 KJV
,… I die daily.

Hebrews 10:38 KJV
Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 KJV
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
[4] (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds
[5] Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

James 4:7 KJV
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I am aware but I pray no matter how tough it might get I stay the course so any prayers for me would be much appreciated and I hope you're keeping well and steadfast to the Lord Jesus Christ and if you fell off the road to Him I pray you come back on it because it's worth it.
Thank you so much for coming and sharing. I will certainly pray for you.

Things will be getting much easier for us shortly, but for now we must "fight the good fight."

Godspeed.