Real devotees do not expect benefit from God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 14, 2009
We both know much more was said......
So he believes in karma. Clearly hindu. What he says is right though; thought produces action. And intent and action generate reaction. If that thought and intent are sinful, they will face consequence either in this life or the next (the next life being heaven for christians).

Similarly, karma is another way of saying that what we do has consequence. There is eternal karma in what Jesus and God say too.

Good intent produces good result. Bad intent produces bad result.

It's hardly rocket science.

The man believes that what is in his mind is what should be taken hold of first of all before any action.

Jesus tells us to hold our thoughts captive to Him as well.

Good thought and intent are the means by which we grow in being followers of Jesus.

I have ALWAYS said that the very problem today is not THEY, or FALSE DOCTRINE, or whatever is outside of me. It is my reaction, thoughts attitude and fear that is the problem.

So I will not either react in negative manner to this man. I will not have an us-vs-him attitude. I will not say 'look he is outside of me', because as a human, neither me nor him are perfect. and I will not fear what he says because I am wholly convicted of what I believe, enough that I can understand my own mind in a manner which gives me freedom to try to understand his.

I don't need to be stand offish to this man. Why would I?

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
You are entitled to be how you wish with this man.

I do not have to entertain his religion...

I did not report or ban this person.

This was not the only thread started.

You may well find much reasoning with hindu mentality that is your choice.

Just the fact that you have a gandhi picture and quoted the man in a post shows why you are more open to this.

That is an observation not a judgement.

Dec 14, 2009
The reason I posted a Ghandi picture is because, in his activity (not just blind faith) he helped to change the world in a way that was beneficial and with a peaceful intent.

He said once 'I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ'. It echoes the view of practically every atheist or person of other religion that I know.

Christians in general are not so good at following the word to the pure extent that a lot of other religions are.

So it serves as a reminder to me to be watchful of how I treat others.

If it stops me stumbling, then I see no reason why I can't have it there.

Dec 14, 2009
You are entitled to be how you wish with this man.

I do not have to entertain his religion...

I did not report or ban this person.

This was not the only thread started.

You may well find much reasoning with hindu mentality that is your choice.

Just the fact that you have a gandhi picture and quoted the man in a post shows why you are more open to this.

That is an observation not a judgement.
Jam 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Visiting the fatherless and widows is an action of love. It is an action of self sacrifice. It is an action of compassion.

There is NOTHING that is above, or is more pure than simple love without thought for oneself.

So, this is why this man's 'religion' and his views are actually not going against the most of what I believe.

He is convicted of what he has 'eaten', therefore I should respect his conviction. Expecially that it is born out of such insight; that the means to good action and pure love is simply good intent, without thought for himself.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
The reason I posted a Ghandi picture is because, in his activity (not just blind faith) he helped to change the world in a way that was beneficial and with a peaceful intent.

He said once 'I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ'. It echoes the view of practically every atheist or person of other religion that I know.

Christians in general are not so good at following the word to the pure extent that a lot of other religions are.

So it serves as a reminder to me to be watchful of how I treat others.

If it stops me stumbling, then I see no reason why I can't have it there.

You can follow who you choose.

I follow Yahshua the Messiah home to Yahvah God.

Matthew 10

26Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known. 27What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. 28And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. 30But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

32Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 33But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. 39He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

40He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me. 41He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward. 42And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

Dec 14, 2009
You can follow who you choose.

I follow Yahshua the Messiah home to Yahvah God.

Matthew 10
Follow?? Certainly not. Respect, certainly yes.

'He that searches the heart knows the mind of the Spirit'

I can tell you, Ghandi's heart knew what compassion was. Buddha knew it too. Jesus WAS compassion personified in all ways.

I should follow the greatest of all great men as my example for this life. Not for to be saved but simply for God, because it is the only way that is true. The only way that is true.I cannot become God, and God is my master, and I am His servant. So God's attitude should be different to mine.I am the servant. Jesus was a servant. So Jesus attitude should be no different than mine. It is the only way that has truth and is truth and encircles itself. It breaks all the bonds of normal thinking, unties all the knots of mistakes and produces all the ways of thought in which a person can truly grow.

The heart's state matters more than the doctrine of words that come from a person's tongue.

This hindu man's heart is in the right place.

Apr 20, 2010

Then God gives the solution for your problems only in a temporary way, which is not good for you in the long run. He postpones your bad results and brings the good results from your future births to the present. By this, you only enjoy the results of the deeds, which you have done and you cannot enjoy the results of the deeds, which you have not done.

I am wondering Dattaswami if you are Hindu. You mention "Future births" in your OP. The implication i get from that is reincarnation.

Dec 14, 2009
He is Joe.

He has a different view on the afterlife. It may not be what I believe personally, but I think it's quite poetic. That he is reborn again and again until his life is made free from sin.

But I think what he says about thought producing action, and about the intent being what's important, is very echoing of what Jesus taught us about self control and about our attitude towards others.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Follow?? Certainly not. Respect, certainly yes.

'He that searches the heart knows the mind of the Spirit'

I can tell you, Ghandi's heart knew what compassion was. Buddha knew it too. Jesus WAS compassion personified in all ways.

I should follow the greatest of all great men as my example for this life. Not for to be saved but simply for God, because it is the only way that is true. The only way that is true.I cannot become God, and God is my master, and I am His servant. So God's attitude should be different to mine.I am the servant. Jesus was a servant. So Jesus attitude should be no different than mine. It is the only way that has truth and is truth and encircles itself. It breaks all the bonds of normal thinking, unties all the knots of mistakes and produces all the ways of thought in which a person can truly grow.

The heart's state matters more than the doctrine of words that come from a person's tongue.

This hindu man's heart is in the right place.
May all Glory be for Yahvah God and Yahshua the Messiah

You do not know by what spirit they spoke.....

lucifer is the "angel of light" to some!!!

Deception is not all ways bad and ugly... would be too obvious.

Dec 14, 2009
Well that's why I look and decide, compare and contrast, think and make up my own mind as to what the bible is saying to me.