Real Forgiveness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

FreeNChrist

The mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord's people. - Colossians 1:26. One of the most important things I've learned about God is that, unlike the gods of manmade religions, he follows his own rules. And to say "God's ways are not our ways" is not only a copout, it misunderstands the context. God said that to demonstrate that his ways are more loving than ours, not because he says "do as I say, not as I do."
God follows rules? Naw, I don't think so.

Feb 20, 2016
Then tell me, how is he any different from the gods of manmade religion? Jesus followed his father's rules. Besides, 1 Corinthians 13 tells us what love is, and 1 John 4:8 tells us God is love, so 1 Corinthians 13 tells us not just about love but about God's character.

Besides, haven't you ever heard that God can't make a square circular? Why? Because it has a built-in contradiction.

F

FreeNChrist

Then tell me, how is he any different from the gods of manmade religion? Jesus followed his father's rules. Besides, 1 Corinthians 13 tells us what love is, and 1 John 4:8 tells us God is love, so 1 Corinthians 13 tells us not just about love but about God's character.

Besides, haven't you ever heard that God can't make a square circular? Why? Because it has a built-in contradiction.
Well, God is different from all those other "gods", because He is actually God, and they aren't.

Feb 20, 2016
That doesn't count. Muslims make the same claim, as do Hindus. Neither Allah nor the many gods of the Hindus follow their own rules. Simply put, we can hold the Bible in our hands and know, "This book tells me who God is. It describes his attributes, nature, promises and judgments. It is his rule of law, from his own mouth, by which he rules and reigns. And it is a Word to which he has bound himself."

F

FreeNChrist

That doesn't count. Muslims make the same claim, as do Hindus. Neither Allah nor the many gods of the Hindus follow their own rules. Simply put, we can hold the Bible in our hands and know, "This book tells me who God is. It describes his attributes, nature, promises and judgments. It is his rule of law, from his own mouth, by which he rules and reigns. And it is a Word to which he has bound himself."
Right. But He doesn't follow rules, as if He could be or do other than who He is and does.

F

FreeNChrist

God will not bend his laws nor commandments for anyone so yes he follows his word.
God follows nothing and no one. And have you considered the Cross?

Aug 16, 2016
God follows nothing and no one. And have you considered the Cross?
If you actually believe God would ever go against his word you are deceiving yourself unfortunately. God & his word are one.

F

FreeNChrist

If you actually believe God would ever go against his word you are deceiving yourself unfortunately. God & his word are one.
Are you saying God and the Bible are synonymous?

Aug 16, 2016
Are you saying God and the Bible are synonymous?
I'm saying your saying God doesn't follow anything, as if the promises he made to his children through his word he could be like "Nah i won't do that anymore" which is not in his nature.

R

ROSSELLA

Have Christians today forgotten what real forgiveness is? It seems so, because for one thing, one reason abuse is so widely spread in our churches is because we have a faulty understanding of what forgiveness actually is. Apparently, being accountable for your actions is not a good message. Forgiveness is not an excuse for someone to keep behaving badly with no consequences. Forgiveness requires genuine repentance and desire to change on the abuser's part.
I agree in terms of God forgiving us our sins. However, Jesus never puts a limit on what we are to forgive. Instead, we're called to forgive and love our enemies because Jesus has forgiven us much. That doesn't mean we're to condone sin or pretend people don't wrong us. But we're still called to forgive others, regardless of whether or not they're sorry. Otherwise, when we pray, "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." We're saying, "But don't forgive us of the sins we still kinda want (Because, let's face it. If part of us didn't want sin we wouldn't find it so hard to resist temptation). It's not easy, and we can't do it without God, but we're still called to forgive even the worst crimes against us.

F

FreeNChrist

I'm saying your saying God doesn't follow anything, as if the promises he made to his children through his word he could be like "Nah i won't do that anymore" which is not in his nature.
God does what He does, because He is who He is. The character of God is who God is in and of Himself. What He does is always consistent with who He is. His character is not derived from following some standard of rules and regulations, that standard is derived from Him….it is based in Himself, in who He is.

Feb 20, 2016
Read my other posts. I'm not saying this from preference, I'm saying what the bible says.

BE NOT DECEIVED; GOD IS NOT MOCKED: FOR WHATSOEVER A MAN SOWETH, THAT SHALL HE ALSO REAP….Galatians 6:7. The Bible is not an excuse for abusive people to have a field day without ever suffering any consequences. Distorting the Word of God to get away with evil is an indication of the demonic nature of such people, not of their innocence and good intentions. Ask any deliverance minister and you will learn that twisting God's Word to facilitate evil is one of the most common tactics used by demons.

Feb 20, 2016
Some abusers like to call themselves Christians, because it enables them to get away with abusive behavior more frequently without being challenged or confronted. These people might actually be familiar with Scripture, and then use it, twist it, and take it out of context to justify their behavior and attempt to deceive us into forgiving them when no forgiveness is warranted. But talk is cheap. We need to study the Bible concerning this, and pray for the discernment and wisdom to distinguish between REAL Christians and PRETEND Christians - those who are conveniently "Christian" only when it suits them. One big clue is that REAL Christians ACT LIKE real Christians. This means they do NOT mistreat other people.

Feb 20, 2016
Other Scriptural examples of the Lord forgiving us IF AND WHEN WE REPENT are written in Ezekiel 33:10-20, Isaiah 55:6-7, Jeremiah 6:16-30 & 26:3, Luke 13:3 & 5, Acts 3:19. These are just a few of the examples we can study that will educate us about God’s prerequisites and requirements for forgiveness.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
The Bible does in fact tell us that we should forgive as the Lord forgave us (Colossians 3:13; Ephesians 4:32). But there are requirements for forgiveness. If we read in more depth and in context about God forgiving us, including the hows, whys and under what circumstances, we will see that he only forgives us when we come to him in the spirit of remorse, change our lives through his Son, ask for forgiveness, and repent (CHANGE). So if we are to forgive others as God forgives us, then we are to forgive them AFTER they have shown genuine remorse by the grace of Jesus' cleansing blood, and AFTER they have repented (CHANGED), NOT BEFORE. That is the formula for forgiveness which God models for us, and that is the formula which he instructs us to follow.
How does a dead person change their ways?

We were ALL dead in our sins UNTIL God saved us and gave us new life.

Romans 5:6-8

[FONT=&quot]6 For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

[/FONT]
See? Jesus died for the UNGODLY, WHILE we were STILL sinners!

Did we change and repent 1st? That sounds like a works based salvation.

Feb 20, 2016
It's not about works vs. grace. It's about someone (alive), genuinely apologizing and changing. Jesus didn't freely offer forgiveness to everyone. Not even when he was on the cross.

When Jesus was on the cross and saying, "Father, forgive them they know not what they do," it's common for people to take that out of context. The Pharisees knew who Jesus was, and they despised him. He is saying that God does not hold you responsible for sinning if you don't understand what you're doing or know that it's wrong, just like a child who has not yet reached the age of reason is not considered responsible for his actions.

I'm sure all of us have at one time or another overlooked an offense and forgiven, because we knew the person who hurt us really didn’t know what he was doing, made a genuine mistake, is not normally malicious, didn't mean any harm, etc., etc.

However, no one who has been in an abusive relationship can say that an abuser doesn't know what he's doing. In fact, he knows EXACTLY what he's doing. Abuse is intentional, deliberate, ongoing, and often planned out in detail and in advance. It is also repetitive in nature, and the abuser keeps doing it because it works for him.