Righteous living - living in a right honorable way

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 24, 2015
A phrase that is used on the threads a lot is legalism and grace despite sinning.

I was struck by the idea that the word hypocracy had been used so much, or self righteousness, the idea of a righteous life may have almost died. The term gentleman and lady used to mean something.

Jesus said

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matt 5:6

How many actually believe or feel this is a good thing, living righteously, seeking to love, honour and help those you work with and meet everyday.

Our culture has gone so far over to being honest and not being judgemental, it feels hypocritical to suggest being righteous is a good thing, but that is the reality, but not in a judging way, but in a caring helping others way, the good samaritan.

We are called to do good works, a city on a hill, a light to society. If our goals have sunk so far we have no saltiness, then we know what God will do with us.

Mar 3, 2013
Well said, Kenneth! Amen!

This thread has the potential to help the babes in Christ - the ones who really are His - and that is the duty of the elder folks in the Body of Christ.

E

eternally-gratefull

A phrase that is used on the threads a lot is legalism and grace despite sinning.

I was struck by the idea that the word hypocracy had been used so much, or self righteousness, the idea of a righteous life may have almost died. The term gentleman and lady used to mean something.

Jesus said

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matt 5:6

How many actually believe or feel this is a good thing, living righteously, seeking to love, honour and help those you work with and meet everyday.

Our culture has gone so far over to being honest and not being judgemental, it feels hypocritical to suggest being righteous is a good thing, but that is the reality, but not in a judging way, but in a caring helping others way, the good samaritan.

We are called to do good works, a city on a hill, a light to society. If our goals have sunk so far we have no saltiness, then we know what God will do with us.

Here is the problem.

How is one righteous?

You hit the nail on the head..

It is not about puffing ourselves up. Rules and regulation.s Ignoring our sin while judging other peoples for theres. It is about loving others as God loved you.

There are hypocrites in here, there are self righteous bigots in here, There are legalists in here. ALot of the NT was spent on confronting these people. That should tell us all it is a serious problem which must be met head on. Because it is damagin gto the church and Gods plan.

E

ember

This thread has the potential to help the babes in Christ - the ones who really are His - and that is the duty of the elder folks in the Body of Christ.

uh...did I miss a post by Ken?

where did it go?

F

FreeNChrist

My Bible says that the righteous are those who live by faith.

Feb 24, 2015
A few examples of righteous living

Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you. Deut 5:16

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phil 4:8

All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. Matt 5:37

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. Matt 5:44-45

The first step is seeing how impossible this all seems to be when our hearts are so cold.
But with love empowering your heart, these things are second nature, that is our goal.

Unfortunately I know just the first command is very hard, and took many years for me to understand.
But this is righteousness, this is the Kingdom of God, and it is not impossible, it is why Jesus is the most powerful example in the world and why the cross transforms us, but only when we start to recognise our need, every day, every hour, every minute.

E

eternally-gratefull

A few examples of righteous living

Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you. Deut 5:16

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phil 4:8

All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. Matt 5:37

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. Matt 5:44-45

The first step is seeing how impossible this all seems to be when our hearts are so cold.
But with love empowering your heart, these things are second nature, that is our goal.

Unfortunately I know just the first command is very hard, and took many years for me to understand.
But this is righteousness, this is the Kingdom of God, and it is not impossible, it is why Jesus is the most powerful example in the world and why the cross transforms us, but only when we start to recognise our need, every day, every hour, every minute.
all of those are great.

But if your doing it for self gain, or self power. of self anything, those are carnal works, and not works of God.

Paul warned in the last days people will have a FORM of GODLINESS yet DENY ITS POWER.

we see that so prevalent in the church, in our cities, in our countries, and in this very chat room

Feb 24, 2015
all of those are great.

But if your doing it for self gain, or self power. of self anything, those are carnal works, and not works of God.
There is something here that is very wrong. Being righteous and doing righteous things is not about why you do it, it is about doing it. The point is it is almost impossible without the love of Jesus empowering it. Jesus's critism of the pharisees was their failure to be righteous but only appear righteous.

Our social problem now is people seem not to even want to appear righteous but glory in their rebellion and wrong attitudes.

The power of Godliness is living righteously. The grace with any sin group are quite happy with you doing anything, as long as you are happy while doing it.

F

FreeNChrist

There is something here that is very wrong. Being righteous and doing righteous things is not about why you do it, it is about doing it. The point is it is almost impossible without the love of Jesus empowering it. Jesus's critism of the pharisees was their failure to be righteous but only appear righteous.

Our social problem now is people seem not to even want to appear righteous but glory in their rebellion and wrong attitudes.

The power of Godliness is living righteously. The grace with any sin group are quite happy with you doing anything, as long as you are happy while doing it.
Sounds like you need to find a better "social sin group" to hang with.

E

eternally-gratefull

Thats not so. Many can appear to be righteous, but are not righteous. Thats why following laws can leave you appearing to be righteous. when in the inside your not. Why Jesus said many on judgment day will use their many works in his name to support their right to be in heaven, yet Jesus will say depart for he never had a relationship (knew) them.

That is why so many see Christianity as a hypicrite religion. We preach we must follows. that we can not follow ourselves. we look good on the outside, but on the inside, we are empty dead people (speaking of religious people who are really no different than pharisees)

lol. Not thats not the problem, People who love and have faith in God do want to do this, and will seek out people and God to help them do this.

The problem is people who are demanding, and trying to force people to live under rules or else. and claiming our eternal destination is based on how well or how good we are at doing these things, When God said if we a=want to earn our right to heaven, we have to be perfect (the law demands perfection or give a curse to whoever does not live up to this standard)''

so we water down the law in a way we feel we can fulfill. And judge everyone who does not follow our lead.

Wrong, the power of godliness is love and faith.

God loves us, we trust him, and the natural result is godliness. it is not from our power. it is all from Gods power.

S

shotgunner

Righteous living is what all who are born again should be doing. It can however only come about as a natural occurring fruit of a righteous Spirit. A righteous Spirit can only be created by surrender to and union with the only one who is righteous, Jesus Christ.

Nothing wrong with good works as long as the worker is working because of love and not trying to earn love. I understand what you are saying though. Sometimes it seems that righteous living is rejected by righteous people. I think it's because of their resistance to earned salvation. We had that so beat into us that it's hard sometimes not to baulk even at the slightest hint of salvation by works, and in that rejection often something good is missed.

E

eternally-gratefull

Righteous living is what all who are born again should be doing. It can however only come about as a natural occurring fruit of a righteous Spirit. A righteous Spirit can only be created by surrender to and union with the only one who is righteous, Jesus Christ.

Nothing wrong with good works as long as the worker is working because of love and not trying to earn love. I understand what you are saying though. Sometimes it seems that righteous living is rejected by righteous people. I think it's because of their resistance to earned salvation. We had that so beat into us that it's hard sometimes not to baulk even at the slightest hint of salvation by works, and in that rejection often something good is missed.
Just asking, Your saying people do not do good deeds because they are afraid someone might think they are working to earn salvation? I do not want to misunderstand you

Mar 3, 2013

Sorry, I meant Peter!

S

shotgunner

Just asking, Your saying people do not do good deeds because they are afraid someone might think they are working to earn salvation? I do not want to misunderstand you
No! I'm saying that sometimes teachings that encourage righteous living is rejected because the listener automatically puts up a shield and closes their ears because they mistake them as salvation by works teaching. I've seen it happen when the teaching was nothing but exhorting and encouraging us to good works.

Feb 7, 2015
EG,
I agree with you that some people seem to have this all backward.

And Shotgunner,
I think you are right about some of us going overboard (in a bad way) to try to keep from appearing Legalistic.

E

eternally-gratefull

No! I'm saying that sometimes teachings that encourage righteous living is rejected because the listener automatically puts up a shield and closes their ears because they mistake them as salvation by works teaching. I've seen it happen when the teaching was nothing but exhorting and encouraging us to good works.

oh ok. I have never seen anyone do this Maybe when they come out of a legalistic church. they could resist it for awhile

I know the church I go to know I resisted, because I thought they where not harsh enough against sin, When (as I know now as a leader) it is not that they are not hard on sin, it is that they keep sin issues in private like God wanted,, and not out in public, where sinners need healed. not judged..

that and since they teach book by book not just 20 minute sermonettes Son topics only come up when it comes up in a book, and it is dealt with in the passage.

I came out of a church that was hellfire and brimstone alot once before. and it was not prety, nor was it refreshing or edifying.

and sadly, Some of us have to fight legalism so much, we appear as if we are condoning sin when we are not. But we can not get there, because we are attacking an enemy of the church(legalism) so much.

S

shotgunner

I think when we teach righteous living it should be done in such a way to teach men to love the light rather than to hate the darkness. Sometimes I see too much condemnation of sin when I would rather see a exultation of freedom from sin through our Lord.

I heard once of a pastor who said that he taught for 6 months on adultery. By the end of the teaching half the church was in adultery because they had their mind on nothing else for all that time. I don't think that is a real situation. I think it's a little parable that illustrates that our desires follow our attention. Every advertiser knows that we will desire whatever we focus our attention on. That's the reason I would rather preach the solution than the problem.

Utah

Banned
Dec 1, 2014

If you were truly in the Body of Christ you would not gloat it over the "Babes" and you would definitely not refer to such as the Enemy's children. Shame on you.

Feb 24, 2015
I think when we teach righteous living it should be done in such a way to teach men to love the light rather than to hate the darkness.
Amen. Our preaching often follows what we actually understand rather than what we need.
It is easy to say this list of things dooms you to hell so repent. Non christians could preach the same doctrines and ideas.

It is much harder to preach how do you love a father or mother who abused you. How do you divorce an abusive partner, or in a marriage forgive the vindictive words said in the heat of argument. Or how do you do acts of loving kindness to each other and build each other and not want to drop all you troubles on anothers shoulders and then drop off to sleep.

How do you honour a job that is so boring, or deal with a boss who is probably a psychopath. These are real dilemmas where victory would help.

The trouble is it is easy to go to church and list your failures, much harder to go a list the things you could do in a positive loving and helpful way. One easy test is think of 5 positive things to say about the people you love, and list 1 negative thing. You will find the critical response is easy, but the positive upbuilding ones much harder because you simply do not naturally think like that. Jesus does.

So I think we are agreed this is an issue, we have a lack of good examples and even language to follow.

Sep 25, 2015
Great teaching PeterJens!

James 2:14-2 (NKJV)

Faith Without Works Is Dead
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.