Serious.. Being Too Serious..

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SocialArtist

Reality shows are not for finding 'the one.' They're for finding 'a job.' Probably on another reality show.

Anyway, I agree that Christians should lighten up a bit. If you didn't laugh when Balaam responded to his TALKING DONKEY with something other terrified screams and random stabbing, you gots problems, brutha. That bit cracks me up. Only one of the many.
Good to see you putting two and two together in your first line. That I wasn't hear to talk about reality shows but about being too serious on dates.

K

kayem77

It really calls my attention when someone raised inside church tell things like this, i wish i had spent my youth inside a church with all the activities that young groups have and to be rounded by those godly male friends that you call serious. To be honest, my point of view is very different, as a woman that spent my childhood and youth outside the church i think that those "serious" guys are like gold.

But i agree in that there is a jugdement (maybe hard) inside the church and sometimes is a little bit atonishing that a small thing is a big deal for christians as you said but saying to others that i go to church every sunday causes comments like "whats wrong with you"
This is kinda what I was talking about when I said we all come from different backgrounds. Liz you are from another part of Mexico, but we are both from Mexico, a country 89% Catholic. I don't know about your city, but the city were I was raised didn't have that many Christian (Evangelical) churches.
I still can't believe how blessed people are here to have a Christian church in EVERY corner lol, seriously, you see a Baptist church righ in front of a Pentecostal church, which is next to a Methodist church o_O. If I was a Christian in Mexico, I would be sooooooooooooooo happy to find a serious christian guy. I get what you're saying :)

I don't like the legalistic attitude, but I appreciate seriousness too, healthy seriousness. It's important to consider the culture when understanding somebody else, and I sometimes feel like I carry my mexican culture here in that way, even though I live in California. I know Christianity is common here, but it's not like that everywhere.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I cant be serious it would ruin my fun-loving lifestyl. I dont do anything bad, but seriousness is for squares. I mean I never got the opinion that God wanted us living uptight sheltered lives anyways. Get out there and have fun, dont drag what could be fun first dates down with chats of 'morals' and 'values' etc.

Feb 10, 2008
I don't like the legalistic attitude, but I appreciate seriousness too, healthy seriousness. It's important to consider the culture when understanding somebody else, and I sometimes feel like I carry my mexican culture here in that way, even though I live in California. I know Christianity is common here, but it's not like that everywhere.
Excellently phrased. Looking for a husband? ;) :p

Nah, really I think the point is not a question of "fun" vs "serious," although that is what the OP tried to set it up as. The question is really a matter of how many people can have fun while being serious. I really do get a great deal of enjoyment out of discussing the Bible and talking about people's experiences with God; talking about their desires for a family (or not), discussing their beliefs and relationship with God..... These all CAN be fun, but also quite serious.

Many christians I know define "fun" quite similarly to non-christians, maybe not explicitly sinful but certainly flirting with sin in many cases. It's about finding a way of turning your brain off and embracing frivolity, often accompanied by pleasure. With very few exceptions, pleasure has always seemed to be a thing of this world, and we're called to not conform to these. Whether this "fun" is legalistically sin or not, frivolity is not the only way to have "fun/be playful." IMHO, there are many more beneficial means of being both fun and serious. I would encourage people to seek fun through seriousness; I know it is possible and have seen its benefits.

K

kayem77

Excellently phrased. Looking for a husband? ;) :p

Nah, really I think the point is not a question of "fun" vs "serious," although that is what the OP tried to set it up as. The question is really a matter of how many people can have fun while being serious. I really do get a great deal of enjoyment out of discussing the Bible and talking about people's experiences with God; talking about their desires for a family (or not), discussing their beliefs and relationship with God..... These all CAN be fun, but also quite serious.

Many christians I know define "fun" quite similarly to non-christians, maybe not explicitly sinful but certainly flirting with sin in many cases. It's about finding a way of turning your brain off and embracing frivolity, often accompanied by pleasure. With very few exceptions, pleasure has always seemed to be a thing of this world, and we're called to not conform to these. Whether this "fun" is legalistically sin or not, frivolity is not the only way to have "fun/be playful." IMHO, there are many more beneficial means of being both fun and serious. I would encourage people to seek fun through seriousness; I know it is possible and have seen its benefits.
How did you know? I've been looking for a while in so many sites like needmeahusband.com or ijustmetyoubutthisiscrazyheremynumber.com but I haven't had any luck :p.
And yess, having fun while being serious is the issue! You nailed it! I so get what you're saying about not sinning but flirting with sin......my pastor was talking about this yesterday, about how the world just tries to shut uff our brains and get us to dwell in frivolity, and I bet Satan also wants this for us . That's why amusement is called amusement (muse = means think or inspire; a-muse= dont think) and it's everywhere you look: the movies, amusement parks like Disneyland, Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm (and I love them all :) ), or smart phones, videogames, some secular music etc.

While those things aren't necessarily evil per se, I mean I guess it depends on what it is, I can see a potential danger in gettin too interested in that stuff . We live in a society where it's easy to shut off our brains and forget about the ''serious and deep stuff'' , just turn on the TV or your videogame, or your phone or whatever and forget about everything.

I have discovered that I can have healthy productive fun and I actually enjoy it! :D I enjoy having conversations, listening to people's past or stories, talking about God or the Bible, doing exercise, exploring nature, or stuff like that. God has blessed me with a church where people my age enjoy doing some of those things too :). So... I guess we all conclude that seriousness is not the opposite of fun haha. And now I feel like I derailed this thread....sorry SocialArtist. :eek:

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
Deep doesn't have to be serious and Serious is rarely ever deep.

I like talking about deep beautiful things. Like poetic platitudes to be spoken at a friends wedding. The meaning of life as seen through the eyes of a Child.

Deep Serious stuff tends to be heavier than most people feel comfortable talking about casually. Talking about what is going on grandpa's tombstone is serious and deep but, definitely not Date material. Apparently neither is the fact that he died riddled with AIDS or that he got it from a man.

So yeah... Not being serious is definitely the way to go.

Feb 10, 2008
Deep doesn't have to be serious and Serious is rarely ever deep.

I like talking about deep beautiful things. Like poetic platitudes to be spoken at a friends wedding. The meaning of life as seen through the eyes of a Child.

Deep Serious stuff tends to be heavier than most people feel comfortable talking about casually. Talking about what is going on grandpa's tombstone is serious and deep but, definitely not Date material. Apparently neither is the fact that he died riddled with AIDS or that he got it from a man.

So yeah... Not being serious is definitely the way to go.
Morbid is not the same as serious. :S

C

Catlynn

Ppffftthhhahahaha! @ Liamson. From a man, eh?

Feb 10, 2008
Just stumbled across this scripture and it seemed to fit. I have not yet worked this into my thoughts on the matter. It just kind of jumped out to me and I wanted to share. Maybe worth considering for all.

Ephesians 5
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; 2 and walk in love, just as Christ also loved [a]you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.

3 But immorality [c]or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among [d]saints; 4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know with certainty, that no [e]immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them; 8 for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light 9 (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), 10 [f] trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even [g] expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things become visible when they are [h]exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. 14 For this reason it says,

“ Awake, sleeper,
And arise from the dead,
And Christ will shine on you.”
15 Therefore [j]be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 [k] making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not get drunk with wine, [l]for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to [m]one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to [n] God, even the Father; 21 [o] and be subject to one another in the [p] fear of Christ.