The more marriages I witness...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I am married, and it seems being down on marriage is a trend with a lot of unmarried (and especially divorced) folks. The institution of marriage has sort of unraveled a bit over the past few decades. There was feminism, which redefined roles in the family, the sexual revolution which led many then young people into sex outside of marriage. Now there is so-'called gay marriage.' And all the while, the divorce rate has sky rocketed. Even many churches say little about divorce contrary to the Bible, and a lot of pastor are divorced and remarried, which was rather rare many decades ago.

I have some relatives whose mother divorced six times throughout her life. One of the men, the father of most of her kids, was violent with her when he got drunk. Three of her kids said they would never marry. One of them divorced and remarried. Another divorced twice and remarried. One of them is still single and has said for years that he doesn't want to marry.

There are also some of the men's movement sites telling men it is foolish to marry to set themselves up to lose half of their possessions to a divorce, and encouraging them just to engage in multiple affairs and fornicate. If you don't have morals, that makes sense, especially if the type of woman you would marry is the type of woman to fornicate with a man like that.

I am married, and happy to be married. Is marriage hard? Sometimes. Most of the time it isn't. Most of the time, for me, it's easier than being single, at least if you taking having kids out of the equation. Before the kids came along, married life was a lot more enjoyable than being single, and just about as easy. After the kids came along, it's not as easy, but it's still really good to be married.

If you are single and you want to go out and grab a bite to eat, what do you do? Maybe you can call up a friend? Or you can sit there alone. Then you see couples there eating together. Or let's say you went to the mall or to something for entertainment by yourself, and you see all those couples coming out of the movie theater at the mall while you are there by yourself, longing for someone to be with.

My marriage has been hard at times, but those times are usually short and don't compare to the joys of marriage on a daily basis. Marriage has been hard for us at times when there is a lot of stress, like when we are moving or when my wife had 'hormonal issues' and mood during pregnancy or right after childbirth.

I have someone to share my thoughts with. I can work, and she can stay home with our kids. She's a great cook, and I'm pretty good at boiling water, so I get to eat all this fancy gourmet food. If my wife were single, she couldn't rub sore muscles out of her own back, and going for a massage can be a little weird. But I can rub the sore muscles out of her back. I know this is the singles forum, but I'll let you guys in on the secret that a guilt free sex life is a very enjoyable thing.

The secret is that I found a woman who fears the LORD. It isn't always easy. Like Proverbs says, "a woman who fears the LORD, who can find." The secret is to choose a good spouse, and to be a good spouse yourself. If your husband or wife fears the LORD, if he or she does something wrong, he/she knows he/she needs to repent. You both appeal to the same source, the word of God, for how the marriage is to function and how you are supposed to relate to each other. One thing that I believe has really helped our marriage is Ephesians 5. It tells us our roles and responsibilities in the marriage. A lot of marital problems can be solved by following it. If I love my wife, am I going to yell at her, call her names, or take her for granted? No. If my wife respects or reverences me and submits to me, is she going to nag me, yell at me, or throw plates at me? No. If you both fear the Lord, if you sin, the other spouse has a basis on which to appeal to the other spouse.

Maybe most men and women in this country would not make a good spouse. That could be the case. But there are good potential spouses out there. The trick is to be selective. Even more important is to pray in faith, and believe God to send you a good, quality person who is suitable for you. That means someone you will 'connect with', someone you are attracted to enough to marry who is also attracted enough to you. When you are single, it may feel like it will never happen for you. I got married at 27, and I remember seeing those couples together at the mall and wondering when I would ever find someone for me. I was particular about looks, and I was looking for someone with specific beliefs and spiritual characteristics. But, sure enough, it happened, and it was in response to my prayers.

If you are happy being a life-long celibate, that's great. But if you long to be married, don't get discouraged and give up on it because you've seen some bad marriages. Bad marriages exist because people don't follow the word of God. Find a spouse who fears the Lord, fear the Lord yourself, and follow the word of God in your marriage.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Yeah I've felt like that before. There was this family in my old church that seemed very happy and close and normal; the dad was always joking around with his daughters and helped out at church. When one of his daughters confessed to me that he was an abusive jerk who constantly yelled at his wife and daughters and treated them like maids, I got very VERY dissapointed. I couldn't believe such hipocrisy was possible in Christ's church. The worst thing is that that wasn't the only marriage that was going through the same situation at the church. It made me question what the heck was wrong with the world.
Was this a teenage daughter? How reliable were her interpretations of her home life?

AzureAfire

Apr 16, 2013
Marriage, hmm.....

To be honest, i used to hate attending weddings. I specially don't like the part where they ask all the single ladies to compete for the bouquet catching, which i don't find cute at all, but rather desperate. I could be happy for the newly weds, specially when i see how happy and in love they are...although i start wondering just how long that sweetness in their eyes and their smiles for each other would last before reality crashes down on them both. It also got me asking why the heck i'm still single, and if i'll be staying that way until we finally get out of this floating ball of earth.

Yup, i was so darn negative (i'm making myself cringe at the thought of how i was XD). Thankfully, GOD has changed my heart and mind and soul so much these past few months, that my new set of eyes from HIM see all things differently. Love's lenses are simply awesome to have! :) HIS prescription is truly the best!!!

Now, when i attend a wedding...i feel some kind of magic. The kind that sparks wonder and stirs dreams inside...where possibilities are endless, and the unknown is not at all frightening, but so exciting! Love is there :) The bride and groom undoubtedly shines it all out. It's wonderful to behold. Tears form easily enough (i am quite the crybaby), for their joy and love and celebration is so tangible and overwhelming. And my thoughts are no longer depressing. The questions don't make me fret. Instead they fascinate me. "Where will it be held? At the forest, or the beach? Afternoon sunset, or full moon-lit evening? With violins or classical guitars playing on the background? What shades of blue or green for the theme?" It's no longer a question of whether i'll marry or not. There's a certainty that GOD will grant me my heart's desire :) i don't even worry now who that man will be. I am absolutely sure that whoever he is, he will blow me away when GOD reveals to me that he's the one who will represent HIS love for me. And i am absolutely sure that i will blow him away as well, just as i prayed for and as GOD intends :eek: the questions now are simply where and when. It's certainly in HIS perfect time and place. When we are both ready, GOD Himself will draw us to each other :D i don't want to spoil the surprise by not waiting on HIM patiently! Right now, it's all about GOD and me. Growing deeper and stronger in love with HIM each and every day, and bringing out the very best in me for HIS glory! :)

A wedding invitation? That's an invitation to see how GOD can bring two people together and join them as one with HIS awesome miracle called LOVE. :)

May 24, 2013
My marriage has been hard at times, but those times are usually short and don't compare to the joys of marriage on a daily basis. Marriage has been hard for us at times when there is a lot of stress, like when we are moving or when my wife had 'hormonal issues' and mood during pregnancy or right after childbirth.
...raw calves liver is gr8 for women when at that time of month, she will love U for it - popular with the ladies :D

(lots of iron, enzymes, B-vitamins etc ... )

Jun 30, 2011
this shouldn't deter us from marriage, because it's needed - a biblical view and example of Marriage - redeeming and a pillar of Love and Service -

you need to find someone, and be someone: with conviction, suffering well, integrity, character, a growing faith, growing in discipleship - but still even that is the faith of God that in thick and thin - working it out

T

twofeet

Catlynn, dont be discouraged. I have been fortunate to spend many years around Godly men who truly love their wives as Christ loves the church. They understand that a woman was never meant to "serve" in the sense that guys think they are at their beck and call. They respect their wives and they respect their wives own relationship with God and calling on their lives.They work as a team in the home AND for the kingdom of God and show great love and affection for each other. My 2 closest couples I have known for many years and were already married when I got saved at 17...and they are still going strong! The bible says "do not conform to the patterns of this world" so I tend not to look at examples of marraige that have done so.

Sep 28, 2011
i definitely believe in bad relationships. but i really have seen enough healthy beautiful godly marriages that i believe those exist too. it just has to be that one God has for us. i am sooo so so touched when i see a good marriage. and it's not like they don't fight for it. but it's real. they do exist.

K

kayem77

Was this a teenage daughter? How reliable were her interpretations of her home life?
She is 20 and she's not the only one who knows about this. Btw...not all teenagers lie. I was a teenager not long ago and I would've never made up something like that.

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

Sex and Finances are two of the biggest problems between a married couple. I've heard it a million and one times from marriage counselors i saw.

Did you really think that once someone gets married.. POOF there lives are relatively problem free?? A lot of times problems arise that you never thought you had until you got under the same roof. It's inevitable, at times your going to wish you had never gotten married and at other times your going to think how did i ever live without this person. It's just the normal ebs and flows of life.

You seem shocked that a married couple would have intimacy problems. Kids, Jobs, Stress from kids, jobs, those are major factors in throwing off intimacy between a husband and wife.

Dec 19, 2009
The less I want to be married. Anyone else feel this way?

I spend a lot of time around married people because I'm a mother and most mothers are married. (Apparently that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be done. I guess I missed that memo.)
I knew that it was hard work but MAN! It can get crazy! I've seen disagreements about disciplining children, problems with sexual intimacy between MARRIED people, arguments about contraceptives, someone finding out a YEAR into the marriage that she and her husband have completely different theological beliefs, a woman who basically waits on her husband hand and foot and he treats her like hired help....it's just....I don't think I can do that? There seems to be so much more wrong with marriage than good in it. What the heck is the point?! I may sound super pessimistic, but seriously, it's the way that I've been feeling as of late.
AND manipulative men who seem to perfectly wonderful and loving to most, behind closed doors can be manipulative, selfish jerks who don't care a lick that his wife's needs aren't being met in the slightest even though it wouldn't take much at all to fix the problem.
I don't know, maybe I'm just coincidentally around a whole lot of awful marriages right now but it's really starting to weigh heavily on me and it's beginning to seriously affect my outlook on the whole thing. I'm definitely not in a "pining for a husband" stage of life. lol

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? Maybe it's just a phase? Or maybe many more people should stay single or not be in as big of a rush as we thought...

I think this is a venting thread....sorry.
[36] If any one thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry -- it is no sin.
[37] But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
[38] So that he who marries his betrothed does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better. 1 Cor 7:36-38 RSV

Sep 8, 2012
The less I want to be married. Anyone else feel this way?

I spend a lot of time around married people because I'm a mother and most mothers are married. (Apparently that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be done. I guess I missed that memo.)
I knew that it was hard work but MAN! It can get crazy! I've seen disagreements about disciplining children, problems with sexual intimacy between MARRIED people, arguments about contraceptives, someone finding out a YEAR into the marriage that she and her husband have completely different theological beliefs, a woman who basically waits on her husband hand and foot and he treats her like hired help....it's just....I don't think I can do that? There seems to be so much more wrong with marriage than good in it. What the heck is the point?! I may sound super pessimistic, but seriously, it's the way that I've been feeling as of late.
AND manipulative men who seem to perfectly wonderful and loving to most, behind closed doors can be manipulative, selfish jerks who don't care a lick that his wife's needs aren't being met in the slightest even though it wouldn't take much at all to fix the problem.
I don't know, maybe I'm just coincidentally around a whole lot of awful marriages right now but it's really starting to weigh heavily on me and it's beginning to seriously affect my outlook on the whole thing. I'm definitely not in a "pining for a husband" stage of life. lol

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? Maybe it's just a phase? Or maybe many more people should stay single or not be in as big of a rush as we thought...

I think this is a venting thread....sorry.
You sure are protesting a lot about marriage.
It's like you are trying to find reasons not to like it.
You know what that means don't you?
:rolleyes:..........................(just might be in the near future) - (Just a wild guess):)

Last edited:
C

ChristianGuy0

Your right that alot of marriages have problems.. In fact all do.

First of all though, you want to exclude the marriages of people who didn't follow God's commands. If they cheated on each other, that doesn't mean marriage is bad, it means those people disobeyed God's word.

If they "found out they had theological differences a year after marriage" then they did not follow the Bibles command to be "equally yoked".

As for the husbands who treat their wives "like hired help" or "manipulate them behind closed doors", here's a scripture for them:
Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers. -1 Peter 3:7
So I think your post really highlights how good these instructions from God's word are. And how ugly marriages can get when they are not obeyed. After reading your post I'm gonna double down and re-read some of the Bible passages again to make sure I know the instructions God has given so that I can avoid some of the mistakes that He's helping us avoid.

For you, I would say not to be discouraged from marriage based on other people's marriages, just endeavor not to make the same mistakes they do. Even with all the hardships that come with marriage, the good things about it out weight the bad significantly alot of the time. It's like a good friendship- sometimes there are problems among friends but that doesn't mean it's better to have no friends your entire life. God bless.