The Spirit Of The Fear Of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Who can come before God without fear? None.

Its a scary thing to be in the hands of God. At first...

But when we walk with Christ we are shown something else. Love. Which casts out all fear.

Do we ever forget that initial fear we had? No. No way. But it is turned into something closer to reverence than terror the longer we walk with the Lord.

That is my view. Through experience and understanding of scripture.

Feb 7, 2015
I think Paul understood the word and so did the men who stood before God and fell on their faces as dead men....Paul said it is a FEARFUL thing to fall into the hands of the LIVING GOD.....and that word does not mean reverence or awe......it means to FEAR......!
If you read the last sentence of that chapter, you find Paul says: "But that ain't us."

V

VioletReigns

Who can come before God without fear? None.

Its a scary thing to be in the hands of God. At first...

But when we walk with Christ we are shown something else. Love. Which casts out all fear.

Do we ever forget that initial fear we had? No. No way. But it is turned into something closer to reverence than terror the longer we walk with the Lord.

That is my view. Through experience and understanding of scripture.
Amen, Grandpa! We fear things we don't understand. But once we understand, we are no longer frightened.

Jesus came walking on the water and the disciples were afraid. They didn't understand. They reasoned that because a man can't walk on water, it must not be a man, but a GHOST!

But Jesus said to them, "DON'T BE AFRAID. IT'S ME."

Peter then asked Jesus to let him walk on the water to Him and the Lord said, "Come to Me." So Peter walked out to Jesus. But while Peter was walking on the water in confidence of the Lord, he then saw the wind and his carnal reasoning took over again. Peter became afraid again and started to sink.

Peter yelled, "Lord, save me!!!" And instantly Jesus grabbed Peter's hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” Jesus said, “why did you doubt Me?”

After Jesus and Peter got back into the boat, the wind died down. And everyone in the boat was in awe of Jesus and worshipped Him and said, "Wow, you really ARE the Son of God!"

christ-walking-on-the-sea-of-galilee-henry-coller.jpg

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
hmmm.... perhaps the scriptures were not being literal when it said fear is not of God?

vic1980

Apr 25, 2013
Jesus Christ our Lord & Savior taught His disciples truth, do we interchange the meaning of the word 'fear' here into reverence or something else ?

Luke 12

And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

God bless

Feb 7, 2013
I don't teach self love my friend and I would appreciate it if you would not bear false witness on me.
Counterfeits and imposters will twist, flip-flop, and teach things that are not in the bible as added things to do. The only things I instruct others on is things that are clearly mentioned and listed in the word of God.
Please let us be a 'witness' to what you may 'self' claim' about yourself.

As far as i have learned from the HOLY SPIRIT, there is one part in the Holy Scripture of the HOLY BIBLE, GOD Himself 'testify', to which 'believer who have faith', HE will look at, This is enough for a faithful believer to know that 'fear' and 'trembling' is part of the 'workout'.

And arriving there towards the end of the race 'in perfect love' towards GOD and others, takes away every fear, knowing we are nearing home.

Does these people who 'testify' about 'perfect love', have they 'perfected them' in 'practices' and in 'abiding' through CHRIST's word/teaching of that 'perfect love/AGAPE' spiritual sound doctrine knowledge?

'Perfect love' is 'unconditional love' and not 'conditional love', about who deserve and who do not.

GOD indeed searches men's heart and a 'witness' to them all.

Therefore in HIS 'witnessing', HE 'proclaims' through a Prophet about HIS people and 'to whom HE will look at.'

As it is written, in Isaiah 66;2, that the 'unchanging' All-Mighty GOD's word proclaim, to whom HE look at;

"...................................................................................... But this is the one whom I will look at: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at My word."

These are the ones who hear and will listen and pay attention to CHRIST's words/teachings of the New Covenant and 'does/practices' 'them'. And they therefore are as 'wise builders' who 'abide' in 'them' and 'they will bear much fruit' and 'they make sure their fruit also abide'.

i know without the word/teaching of CHRIST, i will have no fear, but with them i fear GOD, for if i become friends with this world and am a 'lukewarm' Christian with conditional love towards others.

GOD bless you in the name of LORD JESUS CHRIST.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
2 Tim 1:7
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
KJV

This does NOT mean that we are not to show him reverential fear; but it does shoot down the notion of a spirit of fear being from God.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
2 Tim 1:7
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
KJV

This does NOT mean that we are not to show him reverential fear; but it does shoot down the notion of a spirit of fear being from God.
Thank you brethren to all of us as 'lambs and sheep', who hear 'CHRIST's voice and follow HIM', and may GOD the FATHER bless us all in the name of LORD JESUS CHRIST, even 'poor' or 'rich' Christians, made to 'serve' in 'equal' according to the New Covenant/Testament, in 'fear' and 'trembling' our 'workout', in 'fear' of GOD, the FATHER of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.