What about things the Bible is just wrong about?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

Izdaari

3) It's kind of lame to argue that there's only one correct form of Christianity, when you don't believe in that form of it, or any form of it for that matter, and only insist on it for an obvious self-serving reason -- that it's the easiest form for you to argue against.
xphineasx banned?

That's unfortunate. I was still hoping for an answer to this. I probably wasn't going to get one though.

J

jimmydiggs

He came to a CHRISTIAN web sight and posted messages trying to discredit our GOD. I will NOt tolerate this,, therfore,, hes goin in the iggy bin
Hey, you were quoting me when you said it. I didn't understand what was going on.

Mar 21, 2011

The Bible should be interpreted IN CONTEXT. If the context demands a literal interpretation, the interpretation is literal. If not literal, symbolic, typological, allegorical, figurative, parabolic, or some other way of correctly interpreting Scripture. The Bible has different literary forms, and we should respect the different forms and ways of speaking the writers of the Bible used. Not everything is literal. So, when Jesus said of Himself, "I am the door", He did not literally mean He is a wooden plank with a knob in the middle!

Take care!
THIS!

Wow, I agree with Scott :)

Feb 14, 2011
We've been over this in another thread. Do we have to go through it again?

I can have a personal moral code, without thinking that morals are inherently woven into the fabric of the universe.

You have your personal moral code, peter has his own moral code,paul his his own moral code, and mary has her own moral code,and every body else have their own moral code,so its all relevant. No one can be wrong and no one can be right.
If somone steals your money; He is not wrong,according his moral code its fine.
If your girl cheats on you; she is not wrong, it is her moral code,not yours.

''wakeup''.

J

jewgrass7

This is my contributing opinion and I hope that it helps out.The bible and christianity have brought me to this conclusion.The literal passages that I believe are paramount to my salvation give me the faith that God sent his very own spirit to this earth and used the miracle of child birth to facilitate his agenda, which is reconciling mankind to God himself and providing this wonderful gift of salvation by faith that God put his spirit in a real human body named Jesus Christ having the full essence of man and the full essence of God in every way simultaneously.The penalty could only be paid by a human being, yet the penalty of death could only be defeated by the perfectly righteous and sinless spirit of God himself.If you can believe that this happened for you as well as for everyone else in this world then you will without a shred of doubt be saved.Matthew 24:32-34 are my favorite symbolic verses because they tell me that I am living in the 120yr generation that will not pass away until all prophecies are fullfilled and we witness the coming of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ.I know this is true because the fig tree has always been symbolic for the nation of Israel in the bible (JOEL 1:7 and HOSEA 9:10) in which the Lord made it very clear that Abraham,Isaac,and Jacob were the beginning of the nation of Israel. May 14, 1948 the nation of Israel was born for the second and last time in one day believe it or not.Because of this miraculous mile marker in our history we can anticipate our redemption by knowing that God has given us the season of his return, so start to look up my brothers and sisters because your promise of eternal salvation is imminent!!! I HOPE THIS BLESSES ANYONE WHO READS IT. I love you and God bless you all.

P

Peanutbutterfinger

This isn't even about all the moral and ethical atrocities that the OT God ordered to be committed, this is just about statements of fact that are just flat out wrong.

Whales being fish, the Earth being a flat disc, the moon emitting it's own light.

What do you do with that?

Well a Whale is a type of fish. Where in the bible does it talk about the earth being a flat disc. And the moon does have it's own light because when the sun and the moon is out, you can see both

S

Slepsog4

1. The Bible does not use modern scientific taxonomy. It uses simple observation. Fish live in water... so do whales... connection.
2. God prepared this particular creature for his purpose.
4. The Bible nowhere says the earth is flat. Some of the texts you referenced were visions
5. The text does not say the moon gives "its own" light. Again from simple observation it does in fact shine.

C

Charlamane

This isn't even about all the moral and ethical atrocities that the OT God ordered to be committed, this is just about statements of fact that are just flat out wrong.

Whales being fish, the Earth being a flat disc, the moon emitting it's own light.

What do you do with that?

Those people that God had destroyed were sacrificing their babies alive on burning alters to their gods, and that's just one of the horrors they were committing. They were entirely and irretrievably corrupt. They were poisonous trees in an orchard that were poisoning all the trees around them. They were simply cut down and thrown into the fire, as Jesus explained later. It also says later in the OT that God had been watching them for generations before He decided they simply had to go. As far as scientists deciding a whale is a mammal and not a fish? They got fins and a flipper? Apparently God calls them fish, so I'll go with that, especially figuring He's the one that made them; He can call them what He wills. ;)

Last edited:
N

Nancyer

This is really splitting hairs, isn't it? It never occurred to me that God EVER described His earth as flat. I don't recall the Bible calling it a whale, just a great fish. And don't forget, Eve never ate an "apple", she ate fruit she wasn't supposed to. Don't know what kind of fruit but what does it matter? What does any of this matter? Isn't there a bigger picture going on? Context and God's message are the point, not whether this thing was fish or a whale, an apple or a plum (or a fruit we've never heard of because God said it was forbidden so it no longer exists...).

If your going to pick out these little teensy bits to quibble over you'll never find the true meaning because you'll look right at it and not see it. I'm so sorry.

I pray God opens your heart as well as your eyes and you see His all encompassing love for us above all else.