What was the LAW that was added?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
And what does Jesus tell us spirit is? Let's read....

John 6
[63] It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

And what words did Jesus speak that He said would give life? Let's read some more Gramps....

Matt.19
[16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
[17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
[19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

So once again....Paul was right when he said the following....

Rom.7
[10] And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

The laws of God DO give LIFE! The Laws of God DO SAVE!

The letter of the Law does not give life. Only the Spirit gives life.

You are falling into the error of the Pharisees. You are turning your back on the Lord Jesus and instead following after the Law.

The Law is our schoolmaster who brings us to Christ. Christ is the One who gives Life.

After we come to Christ we don't go back to school. We stay in Christ.

E

Eccl12and13

The letter of the Law does not give life. Only the Spirit gives life.

You are falling into the error of the Pharisees. You are turning your back on the Lord Jesus and instead following after the Law.

The Law is our schoolmaster who brings us to Christ. Christ is the One who gives Life.

After we come to Christ we don't go back to school. We stay in Christ.

You are correct. But your problem is, is that you do not know WHICH law it was that was to be a schoolmaster to the people.

ALL of God's laws were not the schoolmaster. ONLY one law were the people kept under. And that law was only to be around until Christ came and died on the cross. When He died that law was no longer needed.

I have directed you to 2 post that explains what I have just said in great detail.

And such are 2 old sayings;

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

And I guess you REALLY cannot teach an old dog new tricks!

M

marianna

Freedom in Christ
1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. 2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace - Galatians 5

E

Eccl12and13

Freedom in Christ
1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. 2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace - Galatians 5
I have no problem with quoting or reading scriptures. But quoting scriptures without an explanation edifies no one!

This post is about the law of God that was added to His already existing laws. This fact was proven with scriptures.

Do you have anything you would like to add or ask concerning the topic?

N

nathan3

I don't get this thread .

E

eternally-gratefull

Eternally Grateful, may I interrupt you for a moment?:)

Are You Saved? <
Justified freely by the grace which is through Christ. Sealed by the spirit who is my guarantee until the day of redemption. Given the rightiousness of Christ, Complete in Christ. Not under condemnation, because I have faith in Christ. Washed by the blood of the lamb.. Etc etc.. These are what I have.. so Yes I am saved.

M

marianna

Justified freely by the grace which is through Christ. Sealed by the spirit who is my guarantee until the day of redemption. Given the rightiousness of Christ, Complete in Christ. Not under condemnation, because I have faith in Christ. Washed by the blood of the lamb.. Etc etc.. These are what I have.. so Yes I am saved.
Did you take part in the poll?:)

Are You Saved? <

E

eternally-gratefull

You are correct. But your problem is, is that you do not know WHICH law it was that was to be a schoolmaster to the people.
that would be all of them

ALL of God's laws were not the schoolmaster. ONLY one law were the people kept under. And that law was only to be around until Christ came and died on the cross. When He died that law was no longer needed.
Again, it would be all of them.

The commands prove we need Christ, because no one can be perfect. and all have sinned.

The levitical law showed that blood needed to be shed to have forgiveness of breaking the law of the commands.

The passover is replaced by communion. Instead of remembering being freed as slaved of egypt, we remeber being freed from the world and penalty of death

I could go on and on

I have directed you to 2 post that explains what I have just said in great detail.

And such are 2 old sayings;

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

And I guess you REALLY cannot teach an old dog new tricks!

Well it obvious you are not led by the schoolmaster, Because you somehow think you can still save yourself, even though as Paul said, the law proves you are dead because of sin

E

Eccl12and13

that would be all of them

Again, it would be all of them.

All of God's laws could not have been the schoolmaster, for God's word tells us the laws that were the schoolmaster are no more. But if that were the case why would Paul tell us not to keep company with those that break God's laws. If there are no laws there can be no transgressions. But we know there is still transgressions, so that means there are yet laws of God that continue to be broken.

God's word has already proven that the law that was added was that of the Levitical Priesthood.

And it was that law of the Priesthood which was the schoolmaster. Let's read.....

Gal.3
[19] Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

The law that was added was only to be around until the death of Christ. Let's continue....

[21] Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

Paul already told us in Heb. the the law of the Priesthood could not make the comers there unto perfect. So which law is it that Paul is speaking about above? That same law of the Priesthood. Let's read more....

[23] But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
[24] Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Again.....which law is being spoken of? The one that God added...that of the Priesthood. That was the law that the people were under. That was the law that was their schoolmaster. Let's continue....

[25] But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

After Christ came and died....there was no longer a need of the laws of the Priesthood. The people were now free of that law that required the killing of animals. When Jesus died, they were no longer under a schoolmaster.

Are there not laws that men continue to break today?

Is not God going to return to punish those that break His laws?

So how can ALL of God's laws have been the schoolmaster?

Are there any scriptures that state ALL of God's laws were the schoolmaster?

Are there any scriptures that state ALL of God's laws have been done away with?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
All of God's laws could not have been the schoolmaster, for God's word tells us the laws that were the schoolmaster are no more. But if that were the case why would Paul tell us not to keep company with those that break God's laws. If there are no laws there can be no transgressions. But we know there is still transgressions, so that means there are yet laws of God that continue to be broken.

God's word has already proven that the law that was added was that of the Levitical Priesthood.

And it was that law of the Priesthood which was the schoolmaster. Let's read.....

Gal.3
[19] Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

The law that was added was only to be around until the death of Christ. Let's continue....

[21] Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

Paul already told us in Heb. the the law of the Priesthood could not make the comers there unto perfect. So which law is it that Paul is speaking about above? That same law of the Priesthood. Let's read more....

[23] But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
[24] Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Again.....which law is being spoken of? The one that God added...that of the Priesthood. That was the law that the people were under. That was the law that was their schoolmaster. Let's continue....

After Christ came and died....there was no longer a need of the laws of the Priesthood. The people were now free of that law that required the killing of animals. When Jesus died, they were no longer under a schoolmaster.

All of Gods Law is the schoolmaster.

Not only that but the bible doesn't say that the Law that is the schoolmaster is no more. The bible says once faith has come and a person comes to Christ they are no longer under the Law. That is a big difference.

That means that Gods Law is never done away with. Just like Jesus said He did not come to destroy the Law, He came to fulfill it. That means all of Gods Law is very much in effect, it is never done away with, it is fulfilled.

If some of Gods Law is done away with then you make the Lord Jesus a Liar. You know that is not the case, so obviously the error lies with you.

Matthew 5:17-20
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

E

eternally-gratefull

Gal.3

The law is not done away with. It still acts as a schoolmaster to us.

The jews should have got it, but they did not because they were not led by the schoolmaster, they thought the law made them holy. And no I am not talking the sacrifices. I am talking ALL of the mosaic law.

Seems your making the same mistake they made.

E

eternally-gratefull

All of Gods Law is the schoolmaster.

Not only that but the bible doesn't say that the Law that is the schoolmaster is no more. The bible says once faith has come and a person comes to Christ they are no longer under the Law. That is a big difference.

That means that Gods Law is never done away with. Just like Jesus said He did not come to destroy the Law, He came to fulfill it. That means all of Gods Law is very much in effect, it is never done away with, it is fulfilled.

If some of Gods Law is done away with then you make the Lord Jesus a Liar. You know that is not the case, so obviously the error lies with you.

Matthew 5:17-20
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Thats interesting. One can be in the kingdom of heaven and sin, How can that be?? Guess the wood hay and straw has meaning!!

I also like the fact that even Jesus admitted the scribes and pharisees were not sinners. As the world would think they were sinners. In fact history shows they were the goody two shoes of their day. No one could look at them and even convict them of sinning. Which was the point jesus was making. Even the most righteous people on earth are still condemned. It is the blood of Christ which makes us clean. Not obeying any law. As James said, if we break even the LEAST of all the commands, we are found guilty of breaking the whole law, and found guilty..

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011

The jews should have got it, but they did not because they were not led by the schoolmaster, they thought the law made them holy. And no I am not talking the sacrifices. I am talking ALL of the mosaic law.

Seems your making the same mistake they made.

2 Corinthians 3:6-8
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

Ministration of death, written and engraven in stones. Thats the entire Law. Not just the changing of the Priesthood. The ministration of death is the schoolmaster to bring us to the One who gives life.

E

Eccl12and13

What set of laws were nailed to His cross? What set of laws ended the moment Christ died?

Col.2
[14] Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Are we still under the laws of the Levitical Priesthood? Must we still obey God's laws of sacrifice?

These laws HAVE been done away with....have they not?

E

eternally-gratefull

What set of laws were nailed to His cross? What set of laws ended the moment Christ died?

Col.2
[14] Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
That was not a law that was nailed to us. it was the penalty of the law which was nailed. The ordinance against us was that we all have sinned and fall short. And the penalty of sin is death. He who committed no sin was made sin for us. Why? so he could take our punishment. He took the condemnation due us, and was condemned himself on the cross.

Are we still under the laws of the Levitical Priesthood? Must we still obey God's laws of sacrifice?
what does that have to do with salvation? NO ONE WAS EVER SAVED BY IT. Your point is invalid, because it would have to assume people at one time were saved by it. and now they are not.

Christ did not take the levitical law and nail it. The levitical law showed that man is a sinner, and to make redemption for the penalty of sin (which is death) an innocent lamb had to be sacrificed. But it never took away the penalty of sin. Only Christ could. as the lamb of God who took away the sin of the world (the penalty of)

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011

Col.2

These laws HAVE been done away with....have they not?

The verse says the handwriting that was against us, which was contrary to us.

The Levitical Priesthood was never against us, nor contrary to us. It just fell short because the Levitical Priest fell short.

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

You see? Gods Law, the 10 commandments is what is against us because God is Spirit and we are carnal, flesh people.

We are saved against God's Wrath by the Blood of His Son.

I've never heard anyone say "Yay, we don't have to sacrifice animals anymore, Thank God for that, now we can go back to the 10 commandments without all that shedding of blood". It doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

God's Laws don't go away. Blood is still required for the atonement of your soul.

E

eternally-gratefull

The verse says the handwriting that was against us, which was contrary to us.

The Levitical Priesthood was never against us, nor contrary to us. It just fell short because the Levitical Priest fell short.

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

You see? Gods Law, the 10 commandments is what is against us because God is Spirit and we are carnal, flesh people.

We are saved against God's Wrath by the Blood of His Son.

I've never heard anyone say "Yay, we don't have to sacrifice animals anymore, Thank God for that, now we can go back to the 10 commandments without all that shedding of blood". It doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

God's Laws don't go away. Blood is still required for the atonement of your soul.
6 Now when these things had been thus prepared, the priests always went into the first part of the tabernacle, performing the services. 7 But into the second part the high priest went alone once a year, not without blood, which he offered for himself and for the people’s sins committed in ignorance; 8 the Holy Spirit indicating this, that the way into the Holiest of All was not yet made manifest while the first tabernacle was still standing. 9 It was symbolic for the present time in which both gifts and sacrifices are offered which cannot make him who performed the service perfect in regard to the conscience— 10 concerned only with foods and drinks, various washings, and fleshly ordinances imposed until the time of reformation.
11 But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come,[a] with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation. 12 Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, 14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? 15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

16 For where there is a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 17 For a testament is in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives. 18 Therefore not even the first covenant was dedicated without blood. 19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, 20 saying, “This is the blood of the covenant which God has commanded you.”[b] 21 Then likewise he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle and all the vessels of the ministry. 22 And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
23 Therefore it was necessary that the copies of the things in the heavens should be purified with these, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ has not entered the holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; 25 not that He should offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood of another— 26 He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. 27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, 28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

E

episkopos

When you read further up the chapter you find that reference is made to a pre-existing covenant (before the law that is)-The law and covenant are used interchangeably. Of course sin came into the world way be for the the law that was added- old covenant/commandment
Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passes upon all men, for that all have sinned:
After man had been separated from God by sin, God had an ultimate plan to reconcile with us which is entailed in the new covenant. However only people of a certain caliber- people of faith- could benefit what the new covenant had to offer. Abraham was a man who had what it took.

Romans 1-3 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?. For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory;but not before God. For what saith the scripture? ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS COUNTED UNTO HIM FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
So that the new covenant is actually the covenant God made with Abraham and his seed -This is the covenant that existed before the law.
Abraham immediately obeyed the Lord. This first and great principle is somehting that every believer needs to accept
- Abrahamic Success
Abraham and the believer today should have a lot in common (hence his seed) and the above principle
is one of many criteria for self evaluation as Christians. 2 Corinthians 13:5 "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; pove your own selves...."

However before the seed of Abraham or people who had his faith, hence the initiation of God's ultimate plan, there had had to be the Law- almost like an improvisational plan, which was ADDED- to do something about the already existing sin.

- A clear and easy-to-read guide on foundational Christian doctrines, it contains, among others, a lucid exposé on the infallible authority of the Scriptures, a clear teaching on the first principles of the doctrines of Christ and a necessary foundation for God's people.

Dag Heward-Mills - Dag Heward-Mills