Who are in your opinion false teachers and why?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Donkeyfish07

With all due respect, doesn't this just show how religion is aimed at the weak, and these men are exploiting that fact?
We are all weak if we do not establish and keep a connection with God.....that's real and tangible......satan has a target on all of our backs.....Heck, he's got half the world believing he and God neither one exist and that we mutated from monkeys that randomly mutated from some undefined goo......Why does he get away with stuff that obviously ridiculous? Because he's smarter than we are, we are no match for him intellectually. Anything he can do to keep us separated from God. Because when that happens, he becomes powerless

R

RachelBibleStudent

ok about paul washer...

first of all i see a distinction between heresy and error...i believe some of washer's teachings are in error...but the error is not extreme enough to constitute heresy...which i define as salvation jeopardizing error...

my main objection to paul washer is that i find him legalistic...when you mix legalism with calvinism you get 'lordship salvation'...a doctrine that i have found is appealing primarily to the self righteous who love to hear 'shocking messages' against those awful teenagers...but very discouraging to christians who struggle with sin... in the same way luther was discouraged and made to doubt his salvation by roman legalism...'lordship salvation' also leads many christians to mistakenly question their salvation and election...

i excuse 'lordship salvation' doctrine in some other preachers because they make up for it elsewhere in their theology...such as john macarthur who has been a major patron of biblical creation science...but washer basically makes what i consider to be a doctrinal error into the centerpiece of his entire teaching...

my other big doctrinal objection to washer's teaching is that he has taken the doctrine of total depravity to an extreme that even most modern calvinists won't espouse...in one of his sermons he basically invokes the doctrine of total depravity to find a baby guilty of -hypothetical- sin that was never actually committed... now the bible shows the sins that we are condemned for...actual sin commited by us and original sin inherited in our flesh from adam and eve...but nowhere does the bible suggest that we are held guilty for -hypothetical- sin...

basically in washer's hands total depravity has become an excuse for accusatory misanthropy...everyone is diabolically wicked because paul washer can imagine them doing wicked things...

finally i have one more thing against washer as a teacher but it isn't directly doctrinal and i am not going to discuss it...i just pray for him regarding that issue...

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
To the extent a teacher points to himself or to you and not to Jesus Christ...to that extent he is a false teacher.

M

Mammachickadee

A false teacher is, to put it simply, a teacher who teaches that which is false. If a person adds to or takes away any portion of proper doctrine he is a false teacher and is to be avoided. Some earmarks of false teachers are:
1. those that do not agree that God is provident in all things
2. someone who makes an obvious misinterpretation of the Bible
3. someone who puts his a twist on the Bible to make a point without God's glory being the intention
4. someone who is continually controversial with useless babblings and an unbiblical claimed solution
5. someone who in any way, shape, or form takes a stance that is directly in violation of God's holiness, love, justice, mercy, salvation, and expectations

L

leonardronaldo

ok about paul washer...

first of all i see a distinction between heresy and error...i believe some of washer's teachings are in error...but the error is not extreme enough to constitute heresy...which i define as salvation jeopardizing error...

my main objection to paul washer is that i find him legalistic...when you mix legalism with calvinism you get 'lordship salvation'...a doctrine that i have found is appealing primarily to the self righteous who love to hear 'shocking messages' against those awful teenagers...but very discouraging to christians who struggle with sin... in the same way luther was discouraged and made to doubt his salvation by roman legalism...'lordship salvation' also leads many christians to mistakenly question their salvation and election...

i excuse 'lordship salvation' doctrine in some other preachers because they make up for it elsewhere in their theology...such as john macarthur who has been a major patron of biblical creation science...but washer basically makes what i consider to be a doctrinal error into the centerpiece of his entire teaching...

my other big doctrinal objection to washer's teaching is that he has taken the doctrine of total depravity to an extreme that even most modern calvinists won't espouse...in one of his sermons he basically invokes the doctrine of total depravity to find a baby guilty of -hypothetical- sin that was never actually committed... now the bible shows the sins that we are condemned for...actual sin commited by us and original sin inherited in our flesh from adam and eve...but nowhere does the bible suggest that we are held guilty for -hypothetical- sin...

basically in washer's hands total depravity has become an excuse for accusatory misanthropy...everyone is diabolically wicked because paul washer can imagine them doing wicked things...

finally i have one more thing against washer as a teacher but it isn't directly doctrinal and i am not going to discuss it...i just pray for him regarding that issue...
well how can a gospel discourage a 'Christian' in the first place? I think that's what he meant and urged everybody who claims to be Christian, to examine themselves and test themselves upon the Word, whether they will stand or not.
if you meant the 'hypothetical sin' story that he told is the story where he said if a baby is grabbing a watch, and that baby has a power of 30 year old, I never heard him saying that baby will be judged by that hypothetical sin. He was explaining how potentially wicked every human being can be if they are not disciplined and has the power to do so. But again, didn't see that he was stating that that baby are judged by that potential wickedness.
Blessings

Oct 31, 2011
Luk_6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

According to scripture, this thread is going about answering this question in the wrong way. At the same time we are to be able to spot the false teachings we hear.

I think most false teachers can be spotted by watching how Jezebel taught and stay away from that. We have a long thread about Jezebel. It is when scripture is quoted, but the meaning twisted. Jezebel quoted scripture to Ahab to convince him it was fine to bring in false Gods. Satan quoted scripture when Jesus was tested before His ministry.

We see it every day right here. Here are some of their false teachings: "We are not under law" does not mean that we are protected from law by Christ, it means we don't have to listen to it. We are new covenant people means, not what scripture tells us about the first covenant of works, but it means all former covenants are done. Being a Judaizer does not mean advocating Jewish customs as a requirement to being a Christian, it is anything to do with Jewish customs. There is a lot of Jezebel teaching in the church. It is false teaching.

A

AgeofKnowledge

In my understanding, the number one hallmark of a false teacher is a heretical heart that produces heresy.

Heresy connotes doctrinal deviation from the fundamental truths taught by Scripture and the orthodox Christian church, and active propagation of the same.

That said, genuine teachers often don't have a perfect or complete understanding. If the person has the gift of teaching imparted to them by God, a good renewed heart, and continue to seek the truth and share it to the best of their understanding weighing, testing, and correcting themselves with a right scriptural exegesis as they proceed; then let's not disrespect them by calling them false teachers but rather offer correction with a right heart of our own when they get something wrong.

Think of pastors behind the iron and bamboo curtains of the 20th century that had to make do with twenty pages of Matthew or John. Seriously.

L

leonardronaldo

Luk_6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

According to scripture, this thread is going about answering this question in the wrong way. At the same time we are to be able to spot the false teachings we hear.

I think most false teachers can be spotted by watching how Jezebel taught and stay away from that. We have a long thread about Jezebel. It is when scripture is quoted, but the meaning twisted. Jezebel quoted scripture to Ahab to convince him it was fine to bring in false Gods. Satan quoted scripture when Jesus was tested before His ministry.

We see it every day right here. Here are some of their false teachings: "We are not under law" does not mean that we are protected from law by Christ, it means we don't have to listen to it. We are new covenant people means, not what scripture tells us about the first covenant of works, but it means all former covenants are done. Being a Judaizer does not mean advocating Jewish customs as a requirement to being a Christian, it is anything to do with Jewish customs. There is a lot of Jezebel teaching in the church. It is false teaching.
if you continue on, you will find in that same chapter:
43 “For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For from thorns men do not gather figs, nor from a bramble bush gather they grapes.
45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil; for of the abundance of his heart his mouth speaketh.
46 “And why call ye Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not the things which I say?
47 Whosoever cometh to Me, and heareth My sayings and doeth them, I will show you to whom he is like:
48 He is like a man who built a house and dug deep and laid the foundation on a rock; and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house and could not shake it, for it was founded upon a rock.
49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that built a house without a foundation upon the earth, against which the stream beat vehemently, and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”

Just like in matthew chapter 7.

john832

May 31, 2013
this is practically verbatim from Arnold Murray, one of the worse false teachers out there.
Who is Arnold Murray? I am not familiar with him.

S

Share55

There's a lot of talk about false teachers. Who are in your opinion false teachers and most important why ?
This should be biblical based.
False teachers are those who take the Word of God and twist it to fit their meaning and defame the name of the Lord or omit/add to His Word.
Often you will find them on social sites like facebook or in discussion groups such as this one.

You shall know them by their fruits but they seek to draw away those who are not strong in the Word of God which is why we are told to study God's word to show thyself approved and to seek God diligently in all things. They often have a spirit of dissension when called out seeking to discredit but also beware of the Jezebel spirit who 'calls herself a prophet' when she is not. They invite others like themselves to spread more lies and hypocrisy. I seen this man call the congregation forward so he may bless them with the spirit of tongues but blessings come from God and he told the people it was necessary for them to be able to commune with God.

The Bible says we should not muzzle the ox for is he not worthy of his work.
When the disciples asked Jesus if they should stop the man who was healing people in His name but was not a believer, what did Jesus say?

I like listening to Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, John Hagee and quite a number of the tv evangelists really.
I have heard some make a mistake in their answers and heard at least one apologize for the hasty wrong answer.

Did you read in the OT where God said there would come a day when there would be no more need for preachers, teachers, etc because He would write His Word upon mankinds heart.
Later He said I laugh because mankind still needs to be taught but I will provide for them teachers, preachers etc.

The time is near when even the very elect will be led astray.

L

leonardronaldo

False teachers are those who take the Word of God and twist it to fit their meaning and defame the name of the Lord or omit/add to His Word.
Often you will find them on social sites like facebook or in discussion groups such as this one.

You shall know them by their fruits but they seek to draw away those who are not strong in the Word of God which is why we are told to study God's word to show thyself approved and to seek God diligently in all things. They often have a spirit of dissension when called out seeking to discredit but also beware of the Jezebel spirit who 'calls herself a prophet' when she is not. They invite others like themselves to spread more lies and hypocrisy. I seen this man call the congregation forward so he may bless them with the spirit of tongues but blessings come from God and he told the people it was necessary for them to be able to commune with God.

The Bible says we should not muzzle the ox for is he not worthy of his work.
When the disciples asked Jesus if they should stop the man who was healing people in His name but was not a believer, what did Jesus say?

I like listening to Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, John Hagee and quite a number of the tv evangelists really.
I have heard some make a mistake in their answers and heard at least one apologize for the hasty wrong answer.

Did you read in the OT where God said there would come a day when there would be no more need for preachers, teachers, etc because He would write His Word upon mankinds heart.
Later He said I laugh because mankind still needs to be taught but I will provide for them teachers, preachers etc.

The time is near when even the very elect will be led astray.
TV preachers mostly tend to be pleasing to men, since they are being watched by many unbelieving people too therefore don't want to 'warn or reprove' men with the Word of God. Not all of them though.

Mar 4, 2013
[h=2]Who are in your opinion false teachers and why?[/h]
False teaching is embracing certain portions of scripture in order to deny other portions of scripture. There are numerous reasons why they do that. The big reason, as I see it, would be they want to be popular by not holding others accountable for their actions in the sight of God. Another would be that many people don't want to hear the truth because it's convicting. And of course there are people that gravitate toward a spiritual high, not understanding who the power of the air is. I've even heard preachers ask the song leader to sing down the spirit. I've always questioned that one.

Ephesians 2:2-3 (KJV)
[SUP]2 [/SUP]Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
[SUP]3 [/SUP]Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

presidente

May 29, 2013
That just tells me you never actually sat through a full bible study into one of the book of the bible of your choice Zone, that Murray has taught. .

And if you notice. I try to use a little more class, I don't attack Christians by name. I just ask people to be aware of what people teach, or the lack there of.

Murray does not fit any of what I mentioned in my post for a false teacher. In fact: he teaches all of the Bible. Very few can say they do that. Arnold Murray is one of a very select few, of Christian pastors out there, that actually will take the time, to teach all of the Bible, chapter by chapter and verse by verse.
But you left that little detail out Zone. Like a lot of your arguments, they have wholes in them. They will never be able to hold water.
I've heard a little of his teaching from several years ago. It was pretty warped and twisted the Bible a lot into this conspiracy theory that the Kenites were descendants of Satan, apparently not fully human (counted as animals on the ark it seems), that they infiltrated the Jews and made people think they are Jews. He refers to Kenites in the Old Testament living in the southern part of Israel. If you look it up, though, Moses' Kenite in-laws settled in that area and were considered allies of Israel. God commends a group of Kenites to the Israelites for being faithful to their ancestrial laws, unlike Israel rejecting God's law. They are presented in a fairly positive light when compared to other people-groups.

Murray had all kinds of twisted arguments from the Bible and bizaar arguments from the Strong concordance that might deceive the naive, along with a condescending attitude toward those who disagreed with him.

presidente

May 29, 2013
II Peter warns against false teachers. To me, it seems pretty unlikely that as to whether these people were true followers of Jesus, especially when you compare it with Jude 1. It's not just a matter of getting some doctrine wrong.

A

angelmyst

A false teacher denies Christ...who He is...what He accomplished...what He is going to do.