Will Bad People Burn Forever?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 3, 2014
The Bible says that those who do not make it have to go into ever lasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.
This means that whatever happens to the devil also happens to those that do not make it.

Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Now take a look at the devil's death sentence. It says exactly what happens to the devil:

Eze 28:17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
Eze 28:18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

As you can see in Ezekiel 28:18 the devil is turned to ashes from the inside out. Anything that is turned to ashes no longer exists.
It is the punishment that is everlasting, not the way that the punishment is carried out.
It is my opinion that 'everlasting fire' likely means everlasting judgment.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
The Bible says that those who do not make it have to go into ever lasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.
This means that whatever happens to the devil also happens to those that do not make it.

Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Now take a look at the devil's death sentence. It says exactly what happens to the devil:

Eze 28:17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
Eze 28:18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

As you can see in Ezekiel 28:18 the devil is turned to ashes from the inside out. Anything that is turned to ashes no longer exists.
It is the punishment that is everlasting, not the way that the punishment is carried out.
I think the fire is eternal, but those who burn are burnt up instantly;

Malakyah 4:1-4,"For, behold, the day comes that will burn like an oven; and all the proud, yes, and all who do wickedly, will be stubble--the day that comes will burn them up, says Yahweh of hosts; and it will leave them neither root nor branch. But for you who reverence My Name, the light of righteousness will arise with healing in its wings; and you will go out, leaping like calves released from the stall. And you will tread down the wicked; for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I will do this, says Yahweh of hosts. Remember the Law of Mosheh My servant, which I commanded through him in Horeb for all Israyl, with the statutes and judgments."

The devil, false prophet, beast may have more torment;

Rev 20:10, "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

Sep 16, 2014

I have put the ashes of my mother in a cemetery vault. They are real. The vase is not empty. She wanted her ashes spread across a beloved lake, but I read that was illegal. We looked at her ashes, put them back in the vault. Even secular scientists realize a law of physics that matter can't be destroyed, but is converted to other forms. In the spiritual realm the matter of the redeemed is converted into matter that is indestructible, eternal, immortal. Jesus exhibited that sort of matter when He passed though a wall after His resurrection. Her ashes still testify to her immortality in Christ.

Sep 16, 2014

Malakyah 4:1-4,"For, behold, the day comes that will burn like an oven; and all the proud, yes, and all who do wickedly, will be stubble--the day that comes will burn them up, says Yahweh of hosts; and it will leave them neither root nor branch. But for you who reverence My Name, the light of righteousness will arise with healing in its wings; and you will go out, leaping like calves released from the stall. And you will tread down the wicked; for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I will do this, says Yahweh of hosts. Remember the Law of Mosheh My servant, which I commanded through him in Horeb for all Israyl, with the statutes and judgments."

Rev 20:10, "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."
If ashes of a mortal being remain to be trampled upon, they are still existing. However much those ashes are divided, they are still in existence somewhere.

Dec 3, 2014

I think that 'for ever and ever' means until the end of the age. The age actually ends after the Great White Throne Judgment.
Usually if something seems contradictory or doesn't make sense or doesn't match with another verse, then it is usually caused by a word (or words) that were translated from the manuscripts that could have been stated more clearly. Sometimes it's an idiom or phrase that is not clear. I'm not saying that this is the case with Revelation 20:10, but as I understand it, 'for ever and ever' means 'age' in this case.

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever G165.

G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future): - age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end). Compare G5550.

Jun 4, 2014
I think that 'for ever and ever' means until the end of the age. The age actually ends after the Great White Throne Judgment.
Usually if something seems contradictory or doesn't make sense or doesn't match with another verse, then it is usually caused by a word (or words) that were translated from the manuscripts that could have been stated more clearly. Sometimes it's an idiom or phrase that is not clear. I'm not saying that this is the case with Revelation 20:10, but as I understand it, 'for ever and ever' means 'age' in this case.

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever G165.

G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future): - age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end). Compare G5550.
This is us, is it not?

Dec 12, 2013
The smoke of their torment ascends FOR EVER before the throne of God........if they were burnt up then for ever would not be applicable and or accurate......For EVER means exactly that....for ever!

Dec 3, 2014
I have put the ashes of my mother in a cemetery vault. They are real. The vase is not empty. She wanted her ashes spread across a beloved lake, but I read that was illegal. We looked at her ashes, put them back in the vault. Even secular scientists realize a law of physics that matter can't be destroyed, but is converted to other forms. In the spiritual realm the matter of the redeemed is converted into matter that is indestructible, eternal, immortal. Jesus exhibited that sort of matter when He passed though a wall after His resurrection. Her ashes still testify to her immortality in Christ.
But I think that what Ezekiel 28:18 is saying is that the devil will be dead, not suffering for the eternity.

Dec 3, 2014
If ashes of a mortal being remain to be trampled upon, they are still existing. However much those ashes are divided, they are still in existence somewhere.
You do realize that if the devil is turned to ashes that it basically means he is dead, right?

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013

G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
Yeah I definitely see that as possible. That is why I did not definitively say, but "may"

Thank you for posting the definition as it helps to learn!

Dec 3, 2014
The smoke of their torment ascends FOR EVER before the throne of God........if they were burnt up then for ever would not be applicable and or accurate......For EVER means exactly that....for ever!
Rev 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

The 'smoke' does rise for ever and ever. Also check the definition of ever in 'for ever and ever'.

G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'

prove-all

May 16, 2014
i do not believe say, a 20 year old person can be decieved by the devil,

also blinded eyes by God, who he did not call at this time , be punished forever in pain.

those mortals that are destored, can never ever return, and that will be forever punishment

nogard

Aug 21, 2013
I thinking eternally inflicting torture on, for example, a 12 year old African boy who lived on the streets all his life before dying of hunger, never once hearing about Jesus, is a bit overkill, don't you?

E

ELECT

Where int the bible say man was created eternal ?

Dec 12, 2013
Rev 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

The 'smoke' does rise for ever and ever. Also check the definition of ever in 'for ever and ever'.

G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
Not sure what you are saying as the text is clear.....the SMOKE of THEIR TORMENT ASCENDS FOR EVER AND EVER before the throne is clear!

Dec 12, 2013
I thinking eternally inflicting torture on, for example, a 12 year old African boy who lived on the streets all his life before dying of hunger, never once hearing about Jesus, is a bit overkill, don't you?
1. God hath dealt to every man a measure of faith (the ability to believe)
2. Day unto day and night unto night utters SPEECH and testifies of God
3. The invisible things of God have been revealed namely his power and GOD HEAD so that they are without excuse....

Obviously it will be hotter for someone who knew the truth but rejected, even so...LOST is LOST and if the example you cite leaves this world without acknowledging Jesus it will be the lake of fire to pay......!

May 2, 2014

No, People don't burn forever. There are few passages where eternal is wrongly translated that are used to promote this idea. The Scriptures are clear the dead will be destroyed, John 3:16 eternal life or perish.

20 But the wicked shall perish; And the enemies of the LORD, Like the splendor of the meadows, shall vanish. Into smoke they shall vanish away. (Psa 37:20 NKJ)

May 2, 2014

G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
If you look at that passage you'll find it's talking about people who are alive, not dead.

K

Kerry

You must understand the flip side to that message. You mean that I can rob steal and kill and live it up in this life and get all the women I want and I just have to burn for few a days and it's over. It is exactly what the atheist preach just with out the few days of burning.