- Apr 18, 2013
Hummm...I’m still trying to figure out how to get our emotions back. Do we just rest and wait for the download of joy, peace, etc. Because that seems to be my preferred method? Lol
When I keep talking about studying the scripture, I don't mean that just reading your Bible will solve all your problems.
The act of just reading the Bible will solve MANY problems... as it clears our minds, and helps to refocus us.
But the Bible also gives us practical insights into things to DO.
The Bible says you need time with God in prayer, time with God in the scripture, time with other believers in fellowship, time with loved ones... and it even says you need to MANAGE and PRIORITIZE all that time. The bible says we have emotions that can be weakened or injured, and we need to be careful of our feelings, and our hearts. The Bible says we have physical bodies that have to be taken care of, or we end up weakened spiritually and emotionally. (That's why Satan tempted Jesus when he'd been fasting and physically weakened.)
Using the Bible Wisely:
1. If you are feeling burned out, it might be good BIBLICAL advice to first check on your physical body... maybe see a doctor, and make sure your body is ok.
(The Bible says the state of our body can affect our emotions.)
2. If you are feeling burned out, it might be good BIBLICAL advice to reevaluate whatever things are sucking up all your time and energy... and maybe cut out some things.
(The Bible talks about managing our time, and prioritizing things.)
3. If you are feeling burned out, it might be good BIBLICAL advice to spend extra time with close friends and family, and shore up some emotional support you may be missing.
(The Bible talks about us getting lonely, and God gives us friends and family for a reason.)
4. If you are feeling burned out, it might be good BIBLICAL advice to just slow down and gets some REST.
(The Bible talks a lot about rest. We need both physical rest and spiritual rest.)
5. If you are feeling burned out, it might be good BIBLICAL advice to think through any relationships that are damaging your emotions and your heart.
(The Bible talks a lot about our hearts, and about bad relationships, and about protecting our hearts.)
6. If you are feeling burned out, it might be good BIBLICAL advice to get counsel from a wise Christian who knows your situation, and that you can trust, like a pastor.
(The Bible talks about taking advantage of the wise counsel of others. God doesn't give others wisdom arbitrarily, on a whim; God gives wisdom to others so WE can go to them for help when we're in need.)
These are just a few bits of simple, practical advice from scripture on the topic of BURNOUT.
This is why we study the Bible, it is full of genuinely useful, practical advice.
- Show all