1 Corinthians 4:5 - Judge Nothing ( though we are capable of judging all things?)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
In light of a few threads, I felt it necessary to remind some of this, (possibly overlooked) TRUTH...

1 Corinthians speaks a bit on teachers and THE FOUNDATION....

There are many teachers, but there are also a lot of yeast being added to THE FOUNDATION as well...

When one is called to be HIS DISCIPLE and to ¨go¨...

What is it that we are supposed to do?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
In light of a few threads, I felt it necessary to remind some of this, (possibly overlooked) TRUTH...

There are many teachers, but there are also a lot of yeast being added to THE FOUNDATION as well...

Depends on the specific context, but usually it means to share the Good News of Salvation whenever the Lord gives us opportunity. He wants to use us as His lighthouses to shine forth the glorious hope that is within us. He will use us as long as we are willing to be used. It does not mean that everyone has to run out into the jungle.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
Depends on the specific context, but usually it means to share the Good News of Salvation whenever the Lord gives us opportunity. He wants to use us as His lighthouses to shine forth the glorious hope that is within us. He will use us as long as we are willing to be used. It does not mean that everyone has to run out into the jungle.
Yes and in connection to 1 Corinthians 3, I have two questions. I guess before moving on to 1 Corinthians 4 and not judging anything but leaving these certain things to the ONE who judges what we can not fully and completely judge since we do not know the heart of all men, and since we, can not know the outcome of all men...

What is the FOUNDATION?
And what would be considered (manmade) material added to the FOUNDATION?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Yes and in connection to 1 Corinthians 3, I have two questions. I guess before moving on to 1 Corinthians 4 and not judging anything but leaving these certain things to the ONE who judges what we can not fully and completely judge since we do not know the heart of all men, and since we, can not know the outcome of all men...

What is the FOUNDATION?
1 Corinthians 3
3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

I also think of this as the Core Gospel, or the Good News.

My belief is that it consists of...

1.) Deity of Jesus.
Philippians 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

2.) Jesus condescended, came down from Heaven.
Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

3.) Paid the price for man's sin with His lifeblood
Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

4.) He arose and now sits in Heaven as the eternal King of Glory.
Philippians 2
2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth;
2:11 And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Our part is to simply confess that we, like everyone else, was born with a sin nature and we need Jesus. We then make the choice to completely surrender to His free offer of love, mercy, and grace which is only made available by the Blood of Jesus. He is the only way. We must come to Him by faith, just as we are. He does the rest. I believe that we are given the Holy Spirit at the time of salvation the comfort, strengthen and guide.

I belief most anything added to this amounts to wood hay and stubble. Be careful of all the denominal distinctives floating around these days.

Mar 28, 2016

What is the FOUNDATION?
I would offer. The foundation is the good ground of faith. God revealing his will to mankind.

Manmade material are things made by men or the things accredited to flesh (carnal what the eyes see).. Which could be the oral traditions as false doctrine. Like building a temple as if God did live in one built with corrupted human hands as the will of men. Things to draw attention to themselves for self edification rather than edifying God not seen.

The man in Mathew 7 who performed works but was not led by the Spirit. He was called a worker of inequity . He performed the works according to his own name (self edify) . Which is powerless. Again if the person does become saved it had nothing to with the corrupted things of mankind . We walk by faith and do not make other believers into gods in the likeness of man and follow after their teaching . That would represent the pagan foundation. Men lording it over the faith of others.

Teaching us we can plant the seed and water it. But if there is any growth it does not come from the hand of mankind .

Then we know not to look at any man as the one Good Master, our father in heaven. The same Good Master "our unseen God" that Jesus the Son of man looked to rather than doing the will of the flesh . (not as I will but Father) performing meat of the word. The food the disciples knew not of. God working in us to both will and perform the good foundation of his word

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

What is the relationship of the Title of the OP and the comment posted above? Want to be sure what you are asking about before I answer

Jan 17, 2020
I think the foundation is Christ without the human extras. That is, things scripture does not speak of. But might help spread the gospel. But they must pass the test of love as the motive.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
What is the relationship of the Title of the OP and the comment posted above? Want to be sure what you are asking about before I answer
Miknik5 decided to start with chap 3 instead of chap 4. Chapter 3 is about the Foundation we are to build upon.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
There should be only one element of manmade material added when preaching THE GOSPEL...
and that is LOVE for the souls of men..

We are supposed to be innocent as doves and wise as serpents.

However, those who claim to be teachers, when they have already judged and have a preconceived idea of the one they are trying to teach, they can no longer effectively preach THE GOSPEL...

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Believers judge according to the word of God. Believers know they will be judged according to the word of God. In essence believers don't judge unto condemnation but they do teach the word of God which delineates between truth and error.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Matthew 7
7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye?
7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

As far as judgement of persons, it must start with self, and there it must end. As far as Doctrines, we must contend for the Faith.

Jude 1
1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

P

pottersclay

Wouldn't the foundation be as Jesus told peter? That Jesus is the son of God and upon that rock the church shall be built.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Wouldn't the foundation be as Jesus told peter? That Jesus is the son of God and upon that rock the church shall be built.
Yes.

1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Mar 4, 2020
The foundation that is built upon is Jesus. Not all people understand scripture the same way, but if there is one thing we should all be able to agree on then it's that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

All other theologies are secondary to that truth in Christianity because without the foundation of Christ no one has a chance.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Judge - Not Judge - Righteous Judgment

Judge Not - Matthew 7:1
Often misinterpreted: Many religious sects use Matt 7:1 to keep people from passing any judgment on anyone. The context of the passage doesn't teach to avoid judging altogether.

Judge Righteous Judgment - John 7:24
The problem isn't one's judgment, but, failing to: ""judge righteous judgment.""

Rom 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
(NOTE: We need be mindful not to pass judgment in areas we're also guilty)

We need a righteous standard to "judge righteous judgment,".

John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
(NOTE: True & eternal judgment rests upon: (A) Receiving Christ ministry of reconciliation or (B) Rejecting Christ sin payment & resurrection. And applying love, encouragement & forgiveness when we do)

Two distinct types of judgement:

Discerning righteous judgment which we are exhorted to practice. And passing condemnation which we are warned not to do.

Post is My Opinion Only.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
Judge - Not Judge - Righteous Judgment

Judge Not - Matthew 7:1
Often misinterpreted: Many religious sects use Matt 7:1 to keep people from passing any judgment on anyone. The context of the passage doesn't teach to avoid judging altogether.

Judge Righteous Judgment - John 7:24
The problem isn't one's judgment, but, failing to: ""judge righteous judgment.""

Rom 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
(NOTE: We need be mindful not to pass judgment in areas we're also guilty)

We need a righteous standard to "judge righteous judgment,".

John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
(NOTE: True & eternal judgment rests upon: (A) Receiving Christ ministry of reconciliation or (B) Rejecting Christ sin payment & resurrection. And applying love, encouragement & forgiveness when we do)

Two distinct types of judgement:

Discerning righteous judgment which we are exhorted to practice. And passing condemnation which we are warned not to do.

Post is My Opinion Only.
When we judge something that is off, we are troubled by it...that is all...we try to restore the one who is off, just like what happened in the last part of Acts 18 into Acts 19...

But we do not judge unto condemnation...
Thank you...
Your opinion is my opinion as well...

Nov 16, 2019
What is the FOUNDATION?
The foundation is Christ, the Cornerstone.
All of us are the building blocks placed on top of the Cornerstone, rising up to be the Temple of God.
But some teachers are adding blocks to the temple that won't make it through the cleansing fire of the Judgment at the end of the age.
Those parts of the temple will be purged out by fire as wood, hay, straw, and stubble.

Only the imperishable will pass through the Judgment safely to become the reward for the laborer.
That's why teachers should be careful how they build.
Each man's work in building the temple of God will be revealed as to whether it is hay and stubble, or precious stones that can withstand the fiery Judgment to come.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020

To be a disciple we need to act as God does and do what he requires.