10 Concise Reasons to Remember the Sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
GentleReformation.Com - Used with permission
9 JULY 2018
Ten Concise Reasons to Remember the Sabbath

Having enjoyed yesterday another Sabbath, where my soul was rejuvenated and my heart made glad, I thought I would encourage you with ten concise reasons (five coming from the Old Testament and five from the New) as to why you should honor the Lord's Day.
First and foremost, remembering the Sabbath is a command. From the first week of creation (Gen. 2:3-4), to the formalizing it in the Ten Commandments (Ex. 20:8-11), to the prophets urging the people to honor it (Jer. 17:27), the Sabbath Day is a command given to God's people.
The Sabbath offers rest to you. The word Sabbath means "rest," the fourth commandment calls people to rest from their labors on this day (Ex. 20:10), and it is a promise that God will give rest to his people (Ex. 35:2).

The Sabbath is a sign of spiritual realities. In Exodus 31:12, the Lord told Moses to instruct the people, "Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you." The Sabbath is a sign of wonderful blessings the Lord desires to give to his people.

In particular, the Sabbath is a sign promising redemption. In the two places in the Bible where the Ten Commandments are listed (Ex. 20:1-17; Deut. 5:6-21), dual acts of God are given as reasons for observing the Sabbath. The first act is the creation of the world (Ex. 20:11) and the second is redemption from slavery (Deut. 5:15). The One who made the world, then watched mankind plunge itself into sin and slavery, promises via the Sabbath that he will redeem his people.

The Sabbath prophesied that Christ would bring this redemption. The prophet Isaiah, as he looks ahead to the age of Christ, equates the Sabbath Day with the Day of the Lord (or the Lord's Day), and anticipates great blessing to those who observe it faithfully.
If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath,
from doing your pleasure on my holy day,
and call the Sabbath a delight
and the holy day of the Lord honorable;
if you honor it, not going your own ways,
or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly;
then you shall take delight in the Lord,
and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth;
I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father,
for the mouth of the Lord has spoken. (Is. 58:13-14)​
In the Old Testament, the term "day of the Lord" was used to signify a visitation of the Lord to bring judgment on his enemies and deliverance to his people. Isaiah is seeing the Sabbath become an ultimate time of victory and blessing for the Lord and his people.
Jesus kept the Sabbath. As the New Testament opens up with the gospel accounts, we see that our Lord Jesus observed the Sabbath himself (Luke 4:16), told us he was Lord of the Sabbath (Matt. 12:8), and taught the day was made for us (Mark 2:27). Knowing that Jesus kept it gives us both precept and example to do likewise.

Jesus used the Sabbath to preach and bring redemption. Jesus was most active on the Sabbath, to the Pharisees' chagrin and to his Father's delight. He preached and taught on this day (Mark 1:21, 6:2; Luke 4:14-15). And he especially healed on the Sabbath, bringing restoration to such people as the man with the withered hand (Matt. 12:9-14), the demon-possessed man in Capernaum (Luke 4:31-37), the woman bent double for 18 years (Luke 13:10-17), the man suffering from dropsy (Luke 14:1-6), the man born blind (John 9:1-17), and the man who had been an invalid for 38 years by the Pool of Siloam (John 5:1-17). The One that the Old Testament Sabbath signified would come bringing redemption has arrived!

By virtue of his death and resurrection, the Lord transformed the day of rest to the first day of the week. The Old Testament Sabbath was on the last day of the week. Yet with Christ being crucified on Friday, in the grave throughout Saturday (the Jewish Sabbath), and being raised early Sunday morning, we see that the old Sabbath with its shadows and sacrifices died with Christ. But Christ was raised on the first day of the week to show his victory over sin, death, and Satan, fulfilling what the Sabbath Day promised. Sunday then marks a new Christian Sabbath, or the Lord's Day, as he defeated our enemies and delivered us from our sins.

Repeatedly in the New Testament, the Lord indicates that the first day of the week is now the new holy day for Christians. We see this a number of times in the New Testament.
  • When Jesus appeared to his disciples on the first day of his resurrection, Thomas was not there. To overcome his doubts, Jesus appeared to him a week later on Sunday and Thomas worshiped the risen Lord (John 20:24-28).
  • Pentecost is the day the Lord sent the Holy Spirit to the church (Acts 2:1-4). Pentecost was an Old Testament feast day celebrating the first fruits of harvest, and it derives its name from the number 50. By coming fifty days after the Passover, or "on the day after the Sabbath" (Lev. 23:11), clearly Pentecost fell on the first day of the week. The Lord sending his Spirit to the church and reaping a gospel harvest on the first day of the week is significant of his desire for worship and preaching to occur on this day.
  • The New Testament testifies that the early church began meeting on this day for worship, preaching, giving, and prayer (Acts 20:1 1 Cor. 16:1-2; Rev 1:10).
The Lord's Day points us to the great coming Day of the Lord. Hebrews 4:9 tells us that "there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God." Every time we gather as the church for worship on the Lord's Day, we should be reminded, examined, and prepared for the great day of judgment and consummation that yet awaits us as Christ will return (Matt. 25:31-46).
With these reasons in mind, how we should set the Lord's Day apart for worship, rest, mercy, and preparation for heaven to take place!

T

theanointedsinner

what if, Iron Man is being tempted by Satan and Iron Man (in his iron man suit) decides to rebuke the devil, what would happen?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
That should have said
10 Concise Reasons to Remember the Lord's Day.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
It is not required for Christians to observe the Sabbath (Saturday) or "the Lord's Day" (which some think is Sunday). The Lord's Day (starting with the tribulation) WILL be observed by everyone, albeit from different viewpoints.

Rom 14:
5) One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6) He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7) For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8) For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

If your church meets on Saturday, great! If it's Sunday, great! If it's Thursday morning, great!

rlm68

Jul 23, 2018
I don't see observing the Sabbath as something bad or beneficial. I see observing it like a ritual to be wrong. But even those who teach the Sabbath, they feed/water their livestock on those days. So it seems more like a church building ritual, and once church is over, you are working the fields again.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I'm reminded of what Paul said in the 3rd Chapter of Colossians........

1) If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

3) For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Seems to me, rather than focusing on earthly matters, we should be focusing on heavenly matters.......but, now, that may just be me.

Sep 4, 2012
I'm reminded of what Paul said in the 3rd Chapter of Colossians........

1) If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Seems to me, rather than focusing on earthly matters, we should be focusing on heavenly matters.......but, now, that may just be me.
I think you've nailed it. That's all the sabbath was for in the first place - seek the things above, not things on earth.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel that is not binding on Christians under the New Covenant.

*Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Even when Sabbatarians set out to worship on the Sabbath, are they truly "keeping the Sabbath?" To "keep the Sabbath" as it was required in the Old Testament under the Old Covenant would involve compliance with specific regulations (Exodus 16:23; 35:3; Leviticus 23:32; Jeremiah 17:21) that were strictly enforced.

If Sabbath day observances are still required, so would the burnt offerings which went along with them (Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3; Numbers 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13). So no kindling a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath (Exodus 35:3). Every man must remain in his place on the sabbath (Exodus 16:29). No trading (Amos 8:5). No marketing (Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15,19).

These were commanded by God to Israel (Exodus 35:1).

If the seventh day Sabbath is still in affect, then why do not the Sabbatarians seek to obey ALL that the LORD commanded? How can a person keep a certain law when he keeps only part of it?

If the Sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3; and Numbers 15:32-36, anyone who profaned the Sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people.

Who is going to enforce that? The Jewish synagogue? The Seventh day Adventist church? The Government? Since we do not live under a theocratic state as ancient Israel did under the Old Covenant, no Sabbatarian can live consistently under these Mosaic regulations.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Can a demon live in Superman?
And we can tell them that here is only one God. They seem to be involved in polytheism and norwegian mythology frequently.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Given that Superman is a creation of Hollywood...........methinks that speaks for his demonic possession

:)

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
God commanded to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
Jesus said the Sabbath is made for man. It is a time of rest so that we can take time to separate ourselves from the worldly occupations of work, bills, etc... and rest in the full comfort of God that is with us everyday. And on that special day we can release and honor our being with our Father.
Let's not play children's entertainment and give further attention to comic books in a thread about the Sabbath. OK?

7seasrekeyed

I'm reminded of what Paul said in the 3rd Chapter of Colossians........perform

some people want to perform it seems and add to the requirements for salvation

and they 'judge' others the same way...outward appearances

the good news is they simply bring the same type of judgement upon themselves

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
some people want to perform it seems and add to the requirements for salvation

and they 'judge' others the same way...outward appearances

the good news is they simply bring the same type of judgement upon themselves
Wrong thread.

7seasrekeyed

God commanded to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
Jesus said the Sabbath is made for man. It is a time of rest so that we can take time to separate ourselves from the worldly occupations of work, bills, etc... and rest in the full comfort of God that is with us everyday. And on that special day we can release and honor our being with our Father.
Let's not play children's entertainment and give further attention to comic books in a thread about the Sabbath. OK?

that's interesting considering the constant stream of cartoons you manage to fit into every post you make

you can't make this stuff up :rolleyes:

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
that's interesting considering the constant stream of cartoons you manage to fit into every post you make

you can't make this stuff up :rolleyes:
It's a signature. Not a post. :) Do you know the difference? Are you able to respect a thread or are you sitting here refreshing this one so as to derail a thread about the Sabbath, something Jesus taught about, so as to disrespect that part of scripture? Adding: Jesus never repealed the Sabbath. He expounded upon its meaning.