12 Biblical tests of a prophet

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

IQ

OK I am VERY con-fuzed...How can a person have a prophecy and not be a prophet? Isn't that the definition of a prophet? One who prophesies?
As far as I can see the Biblical tests of a prophet are fairly simple
Test 1
1Jn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1Jn 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1Jn 4:3 And every spirit that confesses not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Therefore any prophet that does not confess that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh can be eliminated - while those that confess He is come in the flesh are still in the running.

Test 2
Mat 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

The persecution of the prophets is so well documented that it does not bear belaboring with supporting scripture. Therefore, it can be predicted that what they are commanded to say will not be pleasant to hear and will likely offend many, if not all, of those who hear or hear of it. It will not just be counter-cultural to the general population but even to the majority of believers.

Test 3

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree brings forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree brings forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that brings not forth good fruit is cut down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Good fruit is the fruit of the spirit -

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Evil fruit is likely the opposing characteristics
hatefulness, hard-hardheartedness , rebellion, impatience, harshness, meanness, fearfulness, pride and excess

Test 4

1Co 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
1Co 14:30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
1Co 14:31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
1Co 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Therefore let any who claim to prophesy be confirmed by others who, being otherwise unaffiliated, agree.

Test 4

2 Peter 2

The Rise of False Prophets

1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves. 2 Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned; 3 and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

Therefore those who are known as being mainly after the money and/or pursuing sensuality are not and have not been of the truth. Beware of their teachings and their influence.

There is my 2 cents.
God Bless you all.

A

AnandaHya

:) nice IQ, thanks for the checklist ;)

Feb 16, 2011
I believe Jesus came in the flesh. Born of the virgin Mary. Was a man and was God.

E

eternally-gratefull

OK I am VERY con-fuzed...How can a person have a prophecy and not be a prophet? Isn't that the definition of a prophet? One who prophesies?
one does not have to be a prophet to prophesy. God can use a gift in whoever he wants. we do not need to be an evangelist to spread the gospel. or a teacher to teach. nor do we need to be a prophet to prophesy.

E

eternally-gratefull

James 2: 19 You believe that God is one. You do well ; the demons also believe, and shudder.
Amen! Believing is just ONE of the proofs. If one does not believe this we can automatically count them out. But just saying one does believe this does not make one a prophet. there are other things which MUST be considered.

L

Laodicea

[FONT=&quot]Here are the twelve tests of a prophet. [/FONT]

Test Number One: Deuteronomy 18:21-22:

"And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the Lord hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him."

Test Number Two: Numbers 12:6
"And he said, hear now my words: if there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream."

Test Number Three: Numbers 24:4 and 16
"He hath said, which heard the words of God, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open...He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:"

Test Number Four: Daniel 10:17
"For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me."
Another test of a true prophet is that they have no breath while in vision. In other words, they don't breathe. According to scripture, this is one of the miracles God performs to identify a genuine prophet. While in vision, they don't breathe.

Test Number Five: Daniel 10:18
"Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me."
Before a vision, a prophet may be very weak in physical strength. But when taken in vision, a true prophet will suddenly receive supernatural strength.

Test Number Six: Jeremiah 28:9
"The prophet which prophesieth of peace, when the word of the prophet shall come to pass, then shall the prophet be known, that the Lord hath truly sent him."
A true prophet absolutely does not lie. His predictions will be one hundred percent fulfilled.

Test Number Seven: 2 Peter 1:20
"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."
A true prophet does not give his own interpretation of scripture. Every prophecy he or she proclaims will agree with already established truth. If they receive new light, it must agree with the old light God has already given.

Test Number Eight: 2 Peter 1:21
"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."
So, a true prophet prophesies in the name of the Lord, not in his own name. A true prophet will manifest the fruits of that same spirit because he or she speaks through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Test Number Nine: 1 Corinthians 14:3
"But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."
In other words, a true prophet gives direction to God's true church. And a true prophet's messages will cover all of these three areas: Edification -- to instruct morally; Exhortation -- this means to strongly advise; and Comfort -- to soothe in distress or sorrow, to console. All of these three things will be exemplified by a true prophet.

Test Number Ten: Isaiah 8:19-20
"And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."
God gives a clear distinction between false prophets and true prophets here -- between the works of hellish darkness, and the works of heavenly light.
How could it be any plainer? God says, "To the law," what's the law? It is the ten commandment law of God, " . . . and to the testimony . . ." What's the testimony? The "testimony" is the rest of scripture. " . . . If they speak not according to this word [the 10 commandments and the Bible], it is because they have no light in them."

Test Number Eleven: 1 John 4:1-3
"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they, are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is in the world."
A true prophet believes in the incarnation of Jesus Christ, and will never question the fact that Jesus came in man's fallen nature, in our fallen flesh. The Bible says any person, or church, claiming that Jesus Christ came to this earth in any other way, than in the fallen flesh that you and I have, is the spirit of antichrist.

Test Number Twelve: Matthew 7:15-16
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. . ."
In other words, look at what their ministry produces. If all they produce is a good time, with theme parks and water slides, and all they spend their time doing, is telling people to send them money, on the authority of the Word of God, that person is a false prophet.

These are 12 tests from the Bible for anyone claiming to be a prophet. I know that there are some people on christian chat that claim to be prophets what I would like to know is if they are willing to be tested by the Bible if they are true or not? If not the why not?
To be a prophet is not a light thing.

Jul 12, 2012
Test Number Six: Jeremiah 28:9
"The prophet which prophesieth of peace, when the word of the prophet shall come to pass, then shall the prophet be known, that the Lord hath truly sent him."
A true prophet absolutely does not lie. His predictions will be one hundred percent fulfilled.
I think this should prompt us take the challenge, and search for the "peace" part of all scripturally recorded prophets.
...which are usually presented as speaking mostly of doom.

B

BarlyGurl

HOW ABOUT HEARING THIS....

YOU HAVE A READING PROBLEM.

Daniel 10:17 does not say he never breathed, it says he was OUT OF BREATH, as in BREATHLESS as in HAVING EXERTED HIMSELF.

IT IS TRANSLATED THAT WAY IN EVERY VERSION.

P

Powemm

Jesus is the Son of man who came in the flesh ... Think about this... He came in the flesh stating who He is and who it is that sent Him... the very son of man did this .... how many believed it? Are we so sure we will?

L

Laodicea

:)
HOW ABOUT HEARING THIS....

YOU HAVE A READING PROBLEM.

Daniel 10:17 does not say he never breathed, it says he was OUT OF BREATH, as in BREATHLESS as in HAVING EXERTED HIMSELF.

IT IS TRANSLATED THAT WAY IN EVERY VERSION.
Daniel 10:17
(17) For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

Looks like he did not breathe while in vision, that is one proof of a true prophet because only God could have someone in vision, not breathing, but yet still alive.

W

webchatter

I don't even know any prophets & am not one either , I see this original post Is over a year old, but since it was revived I can add a couple more verses.
Jer.18
1-"the word which came to Jerimiah from the Lord saying,-
7-"At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck upand to pull down, and to destroy it,
8-If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil thatIi thought to do un to them.
9-And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it.
10- if it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.
To me this explains why Jonah wasn't stoned for prophecying that ninevah would be destroyed. He was not a false prophet, God just changed His mind because the people repented.
Also the 1st verse in the thread above which is a reprint of the original post=Duet.21-22 said not to be afraid of prophets who speak in the name of the Lord presumptuously. Some prophets have a hard time interpreting God's visions into words I suppose, so this means they do make errors, don't be afrid of them. Since we can never know if God changed his mind eithe, I guess we have to know their fruits in daily life 1st to test them.
I was always taught prophets had to be 100% correct. I found out I was wrong. From Scripture.

B

BarlyGurl

I don't even know any prophets & am not one either , I see this original post Is over a year old, but since it was revived I can add a couple more verses.
Jer.18
1-"the word which came to Jerimiah from the Lord saying,-
7-"At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck upand to pull down, and to destroy it,
8-If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil thatIi thought to do un to them.
9-And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it.
10- if it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.
To me this explains why Jonah wasn't stoned for prophecying that ninevah would be destroyed. He was not a false prophet, God just changed His mind because the people repented.
Also the 1st verse in the thread above which is a reprint of the original post=Duet.21-22 said not to be afraid of prophets who speak in the name of the Lord presumptuously. Some prophets have a hard time interpreting God's visions into words I suppose, so this means they do make errors, don't be afrid of them. Since we can never know if God changed his mind eithe, I guess we have to know their fruits in daily life 1st to test them.
I was always taught prophets had to be 100% correct. I found out I was wrong. From Scripture.
God didn't change His mind... the prophecy was a conditional warning... God didn't change His mind... HE KEPT HIS WORD! You have a reading problem, I would recommend you get some help with that.

B

BarlyGurl

:)

Daniel 10:17
(17) For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

Looks like he did not breathe while in vision, that is one proof of a true prophet because only God could have someone in vision, not breathing, but yet still alive.

Repeat... you have a reading problem. I am not going to paste an assortment of translations for time and space considerations. IF you have any interest at all in correctly interpreting this passage, the texts are available at your fingertips on the net. If you are just intersted in being obstinent and contentious in your error... it's your problem not mine. peace

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laodicea

I have studied it and the error is not mine.

W

webchatter

baby Gurl, maybe you should pray about your rudeness.
I can read well ty. I guess you just don't understand what God meant 2 times when he said "I will repent", in Jer. 18 in my post/quote above. It depended on whether or not the people/nation prophesied about, owuld repent themselves. Do you get it now?
Why all the anger, to you claim to be a prophet?

L

Laodicea

Repeat... you have a reading problem. I am not going to paste an assortment of translations for time and space considerations. IF you have any interest at all in correctly interpreting this passage, the texts are available at your fingertips on the net. If you are just intersted in being obstinent and contentious in your error... it's your problem not mine. peace
Daniel 10:17 KJV
Daniel 10:17 YLT
(17) And how is the servant of this my lord able to speak with this my lord? as for me, henceforth there remaineth in me no power, yea, breath hath not been left in me.
Daniel 10:17 LITV
(17) For how can the servant of this my lord speak with this my lord? For as for me, there is no power left in me; yea, there is no breath left in me.
Daniel 10:17 ASV
(17) For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither was there breath left in me.

No breath =Not breathing. God's people are instructed to test people who claim to be prophets because there are many false prophets, 1 John 4:1. A prophet having a vision and not breathing and having supernatural strength is showing it is from God, because Satan could not make a person not breathe and yet be alive and have supernatural strength.

B

BarlyGurl

baby Gurl, maybe you should pray about your rudeness.
I can read well ty. I guess you just don't understand what God meant 2 times when he said "I will repent", in Jer. 18 in my post/quote above. It depended on whether or not the people/nation prophesied about, owuld repent themselves. Do you get it now?
Why all the anger, to you claim to be a prophet?
Sorry you think I was rude.

I do get it... GOD gave a conditional "threat" with two options allowing for a free will response, the people responded, GOD kept his word. You could try to let that settle in for a minute? To say God changed his mind would be like God decided on some other course of action... which is impossible because God is not a Liar and he watches over His word to perform it.

He didn't change his mind... HIS mind was made up before the prophet uttered the first syllable.

Do YOU get it now?

I am not angry at all, no claims... just a little unimportant no one.

L

Laodicea

Numbers 12:6 KJV
(6) And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.

God speaks to prophets in dreams and visions. Anyone claiming to be a prophet and does not have dreams or visions from God is not a prophet. Hearing voices supposedly from God is not a prophet according to the Bible.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
2corinthians13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established .