1997 film, The Apostle, with Robert Duvall and June Carter Cash

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Was interested in discussing it and was wondering what others think of it.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I don’t like this movie because it was made in 1997 and it promotes Protestantism.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I don’t like this movie because it was made in 1997 and it promotes Protestantism.
How so? What did you see that you felt promotes Protestantism?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Truth is often stranger than fiction. I think what I like most about this movie is it's pretty out there but I can see the things it depicts actually happening.

The lead character, Sonny, was a complicated man. On the one hand he was a dedicated Christian by all outward appearances, with a desire for winning souls. The opening scene for example where he prays for the man and woman in the car wreck. On the other hand, he doesn't really seem to have been really transformed by Christ. To me this contrast is what makes it so interesting.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I saw it when it came out.... I thought it was a rather dark movie.... a little disjointed, but viewable.
I read somewhere that it sort of mimicked Robert Duvall's up-bringing. I think he was raised in a pentecostal "Holy Roller" kind of environment...

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I saw it when it came out.... I thought it was a rather dark movie.... a little disjointed, but viewable.
I read somewhere that it sort of mimicked Robert Duvall's up-bringing. I think he was raised in a pentecostal "Holy Roller" kind of environment...
It is dark, no question about it but that's what makes it believable to me. He was clearly a troubled soul trying to do what he thought was right, but unfortunately his dark side often got the better of him.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
It is dark, no question about it but that's what makes it believable to me. He was clearly a troubled soul trying to do what he thought was right, but unfortunately his dark side often got the better of him.
Yes... it was believable, certainly. The acting was definitely top notch, and I have liked pretty much everything I've seen Duvall in. I personally just don't terribly enjoy dark movies.... an example was "There Will be Blood".... it was a well made, well acted movie, but I simply don't care for it, because of it's dark nature... personal preference. "No Country for Old Men" is similar, to a much lesser degree. While it had many dark moments, overall it was a good movie, in my opinion.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Yes... it was believable, certainly. The acting was definitely top notch, and I have liked pretty much everything I've seen Duvall in. I personally just don't terribly enjoy dark movies.... an example was "There Will be Blood".... it was a well made, well acted movie, but I simply don't care for it, because of it's dark nature... personal preference. "No Country for Old Men" is similar, to a much lesser degree. While it had many dark moments, overall it was a good movie, in my opinion.
I watched No Country for Old Men. I don't really remember what it was about but it was by the Coen brothers so I'm sure it was plenty dark. I don't really care for that degree of darkness. Stuff like Fargo, that exceeds my darkness tolerance level.