2 Corinthians 2 -- Why obedience to Jesus will always triumph

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ZNP

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2020
51,512
10,732
113
1 But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness. 2 For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?

This book is the New Testament, it is a legal document concerning our inheritance. There are many testimonies and experiences of the servants of God that are not part of the New Testament. So I wonder why we care about Paul delaying his coming to Corinth? The Bible is the living word of God it is as valid today as the day it was spoken or written. Right now I’m not that concerned that Paul delayed his coming to Corinth, but I am much more interested in why Jesus is delaying His coming. I am holding this word that “in Him is the yes and amen”. I agree with chapter one that the Lord’s promised return is not some frivolous promise or an empty promise that He won’t fulfill. In chapter 1 Paul said he was an apostle of Jesus Christ, that means he is a sent one of Jesus Christ. If the Lord sends you to Corinth you don’t “decide with myself” not to come, Jonah tried that and it did not work very well. So the way I read this is that Paul is speaking “in Christ”. When the Lord comes He doesn’t want to make you sorry. If He comes and you are sleeping and not watching you will be sorry.

3 And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.

The word written, the apostle’s fellowship with us, is given to us so that when the Lord returns we all would have joy. This is the point of the ministry, that we all would be saved and rejoice at the Lord’s coming.
 

Attachments

4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you. 5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all. 6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many. All of us have sinned.

We all can worry that at the Lord’s return we will be put to shame.

7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow. 8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.

This is how the Body of Christ is built and knit together. We deal with the sins and offenses that must happen, but it is a process that involves the restoration to the fellowship.

9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things. Once again, we want the Lord to come and to be found in Him in joy.

Simple question: were you obedient in all things? The context of this word is not about judging others but about forgiving and loving each other. The Lord commanded us to love one another.