502 Years Ago Today..................................

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
....................................something very important happened :)

Aug 9, 2013
Happy Reformation! To my Calvinist brothers May be it a Serious thought provoking one.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
William Booth 1912:
“While Women weep, as they do now, I’ll fight; while children go hungry, as they do now I’ll fight; while men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now, I’ll fight; while there is a poor lost girl upon the streets, while there remains one dark soul without the light of God, I’ll fight, I’ll fight to the very end!”

General Booth is on of my favorite modern evangelists/missionaries. He and his wife were instrumental in founding the Salvation Army. And taking the Good News to the streets.

Faith and works should travel side by side, step answering to step, like the legs of men walking. First faith, and then works; and then faith again, and then works again--until they can scarcely distinguish which is the one and which is the other.

- William Booth

No sort of defense is needed for preaching outdoors, but it would take a very strong argument to prove that a man who has never preached beyond the walls of his meetinghouse has done his duty. A defense is required for services within buildings rather than for worship outside of them.

- William Booth

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @calibob, those are some important thoughts and admonishments from William Booth, but did you mean to post them in this thread? If you did, in what way do you see them relating to the OP's 502nd Reformation Day remembrance?

Thanks!

~Deut

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Hello @calibob, those are some important thoughts and admonishments from William Booth, but did you mean to post them in this thread? If you did, in what way do you see them relating to the OP's 502nd Reformation Day remembrance?

Thanks!

~Deut
I just noticed @Kingdom_Mystic had a booth quote and I founs his messages quite profound for a 19th century Methodist renegade that brought the message to the mean streets of London considering the mainstream attitudes in those days.

That's all. I've worked closely with the Salvation Army in their outreach programs. In Vegas we started a Bible study for the homeless when it was often 110+ outdoors. They came for the Air conditioning and received living water in the process.

M

morefaithrequired

Dont get me wrong. I respect the guy. He had the courage and conviction to speak his mind. The Church needed reforming and still does.
I just think it is a shame what happened as a result of his protest. All these Denominations and splinter groups. Everyone claiming to own the truth.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Dont get me wrong. I respect the guy. He had the courage and conviction to speak his mind. The Church needed reforming and still does.
I just think it is a shame what happened as a result of his protest. All these Denominations and splinter groups. Everyone claiming to own the truth.
Better than a state ran corrupted theocracy. In my thread called Thank God for denominations I made the argument that denominations may just be the best method used by God during these modern dark ages.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
^Interesting thought.

Diversity is fine. Dissention is not.

I think if human beings take the reins too much and their wills are exalted above the will of the Lord...he'll make a way for HIS body...not theirs.

I haven't done enough study into denominations and stuff (nor do I particularly care to). I'm pretty closed to the modern "church"...it's just a little too big for me to fully understand what is and what is not the Lord. All I know is I'm VERY against certain things but idk why really except they hurt me. They're wrong but I don't know how.

Some human made doctrine though that is innocent error I feel like that can be overlooked. It's like when people talk about what they don't really know out of enthusiasm and get carried away.

So many sermons where it's like I'm pretty sure they are speaking what the Lord would have and then there's like a gap of just "them" and then right back to it. I can't exactly discount the human element or where people sort of just get carried away in what is at best private revelation and at worst...allowing their fleshly mind to speak. Both forgivable offenses on my end.

It's willful rebellion that is an issue or at worst, deliberate subversion.

I don't particularly know why I mentioned all that but it's a strange night and I thank you for the OP and your post @Roughsoul1991

Saw 3 people post about it today other places and it was enough to give me encouragement that something productive occurred. Leastways that may "potentially" be celebratory in some fashion.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
^Interesting thought.

Diversity is fine. Dissention is not.

I think if human beings take the reins too much and their wills are exalted above the will of the Lord...he'll make a way for HIS body...not theirs.

I haven't done enough study into denominations and stuff (nor do I particularly care to). I'm pretty closed to the modern "church"...it's just a little too big for me to fully understand what is and what is not the Lord. All I know is I'm VERY against certain things but idk why really except they hurt me. They're wrong but I don't know how.

Some human made doctrine though that is innocent error I feel like that can be overlooked. It's like when people talk about what they don't really know out of enthusiasm and get carried away.

So many sermons where it's like I'm pretty sure they are speaking what the Lord would have and then there's like a gap of just "them" and then right back to it. I can't exactly discount the human element or where people sort of just get carried away in what is at best private revelation and at worst...allowing their fleshly mind to speak. Both forgivable offenses on my end.

I don't particularly know why I mentioned all that but it's a strange night and I thank you for the OP and your post @Roughsoul1991

Saw 3 people post about it today other places and it was enough to give me encouragement that something productive occurred. Leastways that may "potentially" be celebratory in some fashion.

I can't exactly discount the human element or where people sort of just get carried away in what is at best private revelation and at worst...allowing their fleshly mind to speak. Both forgivable offenses on my end.

Agreed. My simplest explanation is if churches can agree on the core beliefs of Christianity then all other theological debate is in my opinion forgivable as in shouldn't be treated as outcasts as each group is searching and trying to discover the truth of scripture.

But groups like Jehovah Witnesses that twist the Bible in so many ways is far from core beliefs and should be separated from.

give me encouragement that something productive occurred. Leastways that may "potentially" be celebratory in some fashion.
We see the fruit from many denominations. The results of the reformation wasn't by accident. God has a plan for the church and his current methods obviously involves diversity. This by no means shows that the Bible isnt accurate but that humans are still living in a fallin world where we struggle with mind, body, and soul to understand the divine and to comprehend many scriptures that go against our very nature and thoughts. Even the early church fathers didn't all 100% agree on theological subjects.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Truth can be found in or out of a Church. Sometimes one is slapped by the truth and some may toil for years seeking it. A church is simply a group of “believers” and at best a beacon in a dark world.

Gatherings of Christians in Scripture seems to have sprung up in houses first, and even now many churches begin this way, as bible study/prayer meetings. No matter where Christians meet Scripture says that, “it is impossible to please God, without faith,” and that those that worship Him, “Must worship Him in Spirit and truth.”

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Martin Luther not John Calvin is representative of the reformation. Calvin is really unremarkable in church history.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dec 12, 2013
When I seen the title of the thread, I thought you were going to talk about the birth of my neighbor Hahahah ;)