77 generations

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 2, 2011
why is Mary 65? and joseph 64? i thought it was a count of Generations?

yet Ruth and Boaz are 30?

Check the link, they go through a fairly comprehensive review of the old testament
lineages, explain why some were left out (physically, not morally) and have a much better
graphic of the table and other explanations. I think there was an attempt to link David to
33 and Jesus to 33 x 2 (66). I am not saying I agree with it, but it is an interesting
perspective -- comments please after reviewing the following web site:

Reference (link): Bible Generations

By the way, after a study that might bring you through this weekend or so, don't get hung
up on lineage and genealogy.

The point is, JESUS IS THE NEW CREATION and the end of vain lineages and genealogies,
we are now called to be BORN AGAIN, and GRAFTED INTO, as ADOPTED children and JOINT
HEIRS
of the most High.

A

AnandaHya

DA I'll check it out but I doubt I will agree with it. the point is not genealogy but the number 66 versus 77.

yes and it is important to remember Jesus always :)

"The point is, JESUS IS THE NEW CREATION and the end of vain lineages and genealogies,
we are now called to be BORN AGAIN, and GRAFTED INTO, as ADOPTED children and JOINT
HEIRS of the most High."

May 2, 2011
sorry but the count is 40 according to Matthew....

Matthew 1

The Genealogy of Jesus Christ

1 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham:...

17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations,
from David until the captivity in Babylon are .............. fourteen generations,
and from the captivity in Babylon until the Christ are .fourteen generations.
14 x 3 = 42 ...

The earlier post was simply showing an expository on how some generations, though they
were listed in the Old Testament, are actually left out ...

is this more a MORAL than a PHYSICAL / lineage issue? ... you decide ...

again, the web site does a good job listing verse references and laying out the scheme of
their approach to get to 66.

May 2, 2011
DA I'll check it out but I doubt I will agree with it.

The point is not genealogy but the number 66 versus 77.

yes and it is important to remember Jesus always :)

I think you did a good job showing 77 for Luke and how we can get to 77 books of the bible
if the Apocrypha listed were included *(note the Tyndale, Geneva and King James indeed
included these books).

I simply offered the idea that Isaiah has 66 chapters, and is divided into 39 and 27. When
I did that, I then looked for a way to link 66 books to 66 generations, just as you did with 77.
Simply a matter of completeness in this short study. Thanks for bringing the topic up.

A

AnandaHya

Matthew genealogy break down...

1. Abraham 2. Isaac 3. Jacob 4.Judah 5. Perez 6. Hezron 7. Ram 8. Amminadab 9. Nahshon 10 Salmon 11. Boaz (Rahab) 12. Obed (Ruth) 13. Jesse 14 David

15. Solomon 16. Rehoboam 17. Abijah 18. Asa 19. Jehoshaphat 20 Joram 21. Uzziah 22 Jotham 23. Ahaz 24. Hezekiah 25. Manasseh 26. Amon 27. Josiah
28 Jeconiah (babylon)

29 Shealtiel 30. Zerubbabel 31 Abiud 32 Eliakim 33. Azor 34. Zadok 35. Achim 36. Eliud 37. Eleazar 38. Matthian 39 Jacob 40. Joseph

And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus who is called Christ.

now look at Luke....

77. Jesus 76. Joseph/Mary 75. Heli 74. Mattihat 73. Levi 72. Melchi 71. Janna 70 Joseph 69 Mattathiah 68 Amos 67 Nahum 66. Esli 65. Naggai 64. Maath 63. Mattathiah 62. Semei 61. Joseph 60. Judah 59. Joannas 58. Rhesa 57. Zerubbabel 56. Shealtiel 55. Neri 54. Melchi 53. Addi 52. Cosam 51. Elmodam 50. Er 49. Jose 48. Eliezer 47. Jorim 46. Matthat 45. Levi 44. Simeon 43. Judah 42. Joseph 41. Jonan 40. Eliakim 39. Melea 38. Menan 37. Mattathah 36. Nathan (notice NATHAN is the son of David being traced NOT Solomon)

35. David 34. Jesse 33. Obed 32 Boaz 31. Salmon 30. Nahshon 29. Amminadab 28. Ram 27. Hezron 26. Perez 25. Judah 24. Jacob 23. Isaac 22. Abraham

(now this is not listed in Matthew but can be found in Genesis)

21. Terah 20. Nahor 19. Serug 18. Reu 17. Peleg 16. Eber 15. Shelah 14. Cainan 13. Arphaxad 12. Shem 11. Noah 10. Lamech 9. Methuselah 8. Enoch
7. Jared 6. Mahalalel 5. Cainan 4. Enosh 3. Seth 2. Adam 1. God

21 plus 41 = 62 according to Matthew

why is the chart on the website missing Cainan and God for the first 33? it would make that at least 34 even if you did not count GOd into it all.

sorry it would take too long to address all the unbiblical things said on that website. (yeah I'm a fast reader but I'd rather read the Bible and talk about what is written there in...

A

AnandaHya

I think you did a good job showing 77 for Luke and how we can get to 77 books of the bible
if the Apocrypha listed were included *(note the Tyndale, Geneva and King James indeed
included these books).

I simply offered the idea that Isaiah has 66 chapters, and is divided into 39 and 27. When
I did that, I then looked for a way to link 66 books to 66 generations, just as you did with 77.
Simply a matter of completeness in this short study. Thanks for bringing the topic up.
hmmm yes Isaiah has 66 chapters...are you implying there is a link? one book for each generation?....

don't know, will have to study and pray bout it.

wasn't Isaiah a court royal prophet at the king's court?

S

Scotth1960

why are there 66 books in the Bible and not 77?

its a question that I've been wondering for a while and i don't know perhaps one of you have the answer of why the canonized scriptures only have 66 books. since you know the number 6 is one less then 7 which 7 is suppose to represent God's perfection. you see the 7 candlesticks the 7 churches, 7 spirits of God, etc.

I read someone where that God gave each book in the OT a number so that when people copied it they would not miss a single word. that there were built in patterns to help make sure the transmission of His message stayed true to form.

for example everyone knows we have 10 commandments. mmmm.... numbers and names are the hardest to decipher.
It is only Protestantism that says there are only 66 books. Eastern Orthodoxy has 76 or 77 books, depending upon whether 4 Maccabees is accepted in the Scriptures, or only in an appendix. There is some difference between Orthodox Bibles; the OSB doesn't include 4 Maccabees; the RSV and the NRSV Bibles have 4 Maccabees.
I don't believe there has yet been an Ecumenical Council to decide this matter, so that Orthodox Christians whether or not 4 Maccabees should be read as Scripture. At any rate, it's a theologoumenon (spiritual opinion), and not a matter of dogma either way, whether or not 4 Maccabees should be accepted in the Deuterocanon. In Erie PA USA Scott R. Harrington
PS
Isaiah 7:14 in the RSV and NRSV can be considered heretical and a false translation; other than that verse, the RSV is an accurate Bible. It's better than the NRSV, which goes too far afield into politically correct inclusive (gender neutral) language. Go figure!

A

AnandaHya

It is only Protestantism that says there are only 66 books. Eastern Orthodoxy has 76 or 77 books, depending upon whether 4 Maccabees is accepted in the Scriptures, or only in an appendix. There is some difference between Orthodox Bibles; the OSB doesn't include 4 Maccabees; the RSV and the NRSV Bibles have 4 Maccabees.
I don't believe there has yet been an Ecumenical Council to decide this matter, so that Orthodox Christians whether or not 4 Maccabees should be read as Scripture. At any rate, it's a theologoumenon (spiritual opinion), and not a matter of dogma either way, whether or not 4 Maccabees should be accepted in the Deuterocanon. In Erie PA USA Scott R. Harrington
PS
Isaiah 7:14 in the RSV and NRSV can be considered heretical and a false translation; other than that verse, the RSV is an accurate Bible. It's better than the NRSV, which goes too far afield into politically correct inclusive (gender neutral) language. Go figure!

hmmm going have to see if I can get a copy or read it online.

May 2, 2011
Matthew genealogy break down...

why is the chart on the website missing Cainan and God for the first 33? it would make that at least 34 even if you did not count GOd into it all.

sorry it would take too long to address all the unbiblical things said on that website. (yeah I'm a fast reader but I'd rather read the Bible and talk about what is written there in...

Again, I am NOT promoting or validating the web site, just saying that SOME People out
there wanted to make 66 Generations to match their 66 book Bible. as to why 'God' is not
in their lineage, I believe the lineage is from ADAM.

I also believe a key to highlight is, that the book of Matthew shows a great shortfall in
generations counted, (42) even though the website might claim 66, there may be even
more depending how one counts.

What I see is ... that some Generations were CUT OFF from the tree of life

A

AnandaHya

DA I'm going to chalk this up to "Ask God in Heaven if I remember" category :)

A

Abiding

To brainy for me..77 oatmeal and raison cookies.
Thats all i wanna count. :)

May 2, 2011
[SIZE=+1]Anan, FYI, per an earlier post, the reference to the '24' books
and after that is a summary of the Orthodox, Catholic and
Protestant books. I hope this rounds out this study for now.
Feel free to ask anything else about this topic, but I don't want
to dwell on lineage too much, and the topic of the Canon is a
good one for another thread (I think there may be some ongoing).

The Canon of Hebrew Scripture recognized 10 books less than the
Canon of the Greek Septuagint. The Law contained the Pentateuch
of Moses. The Prophets include the Former Prophets that are part of
the Historical Books, the Major Prophets, and the Prophets of the
Book of the Twelve. The Writings comprised a body of wisdom
literature, history, poetry, and songs. The Masoretic Hebrew Text
developed from the eighth through tenth century AD confirmed the
Canon of Hebrew Scripture.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2] .............JUDAISM [/SIZE] [SIZE=+2]
Law
[/SIZE][SIZE=+2] .....Prophets [/SIZE] [SIZE=+2] ...Writings [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]
Genesis
[/SIZE] ..........Joshua .........................Psalms
Exodus ...........Judges ......................... Proverbs
Leviticus .........Samuel (2)...................Job
Numbers
.........Kings ...(2)...................Song of Songs
Deuteronomy
..The Twelve ...................Ruth
.......................Isaiah ..........................Lamentations
.......................Jeremiah ......................Ecclesiastes
.......................Ezekiel .........................Esther
............................................................Daniel
............................................................Ezra-Nehemiah

............................................................Chronicles (2)

[SIZE=+1] The 24 Books of Judaism are equivalent to the 39 Books common to
all Christian Old Testaments, for Samuel, Kings, Chronicles, and
Ezra-Nehemiah were each divided into two parts in the Christian
canons, and the one Book of the Twelve Minor Prophets was split
into twelve books, one for each prophet. The above
table lists the
Book of Daniel with the Prophets, as found in the Dead Sea Scrolls,
instead of the Writings, as found in the Masoretic texts.
[/SIZE]

This is the origination of the TWENTY and FOUR MEN in REVELATION:

Revelation 4:4
And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four
and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of
gold.

Revelation 4:10
The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him
that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

Revelation 5:8
And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down
before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which
are the prayers of saints.

Revelation 11:16
And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces,
and worshipped God,

Revelation 19:4
And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down and worshipped God that sat
on the throne, saying, Amen; Alleluia.

[SIZE=+2] CHRISTIANITY [/SIZE] [SIZE=+2]
ORTHODOX
[/SIZE][SIZE=+2]............CATHOLIC ..........P[/SIZE][SIZE=+2]ROTESTANT
[/SIZE]Pentateuch ............Pentateuch .........Pentateuch
Genesis ....................Genesis ................Genesis
Exodus .....................Exodus .................Exodus
Leviticus ..................Leviticus ...............Leviticus
Numbers ................. Numbers ..............Numbers
Deuteronomy .......... Deuteronomy [SIZE=+1].......Deuteronomy

[/SIZE]Historical Books .Historical Books [SIZE=+1].Historical Books
[/SIZE]Joshua ..................Joshua ..................Joshua
Judges ..................Judges ..................Judges
Ruth
......................Ruth .....................Ruth
I Samuel
................I Samuel ..............I Samuel
II Samuel ...............II Samuel .............II Samuel
I Kings
...................I Kings ................ I Kings
II Kings .................
II Kings ............... II Kings
I Chronicles
............I Chronicles ..........I Chronicles
II Chronicles
...........II Chronicles .........II Chronicles
I Esdras (A)
Ezra .......................Ezra ......................Ezra
Nehemiah
...............Nehemiah .............Nehemiah
Tobit
......................Tobit
Judith .....................Judith
Esther .....................Esther ...................Esther
Maccabees I ............Maccabees I
Maccabees II ...........Maccabees II
Maccabees III

Wisdom Books ....Wisdom Books ....Wisdom Books
Job
........................Job .......................Job
Psalms (151)
..........Psalms (150) .........Psalms (150)
Proverbs .................Proverbs ...............Proverbs
Ecclesiastes ............Ecclesiastes ...........Ecclesiastes
Song of Songs .........Song of Songs .......Song of Songs
Wisdom ..................Wisdom
Sirach .....................Sirach

Prophets ...............Prophets ................Prophets
Isaiah .....................Isaiah ......................Isaiah
Jeremiah
................Jeremiah ..................Jeremiah
Lamentations ..........Lamentations ........... Lamentations
Baruch ....................Baruch
Letter of Jeremiah