786 socks

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

levi85

Jul 2, 2013
Friends i brought 2 pair of socks, now i see its written 786, 786, heard this number is used by muslims
Should i use this socks for daughter or not?
God bless!

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Friends i brought 2 pair of socks, now i see its written 786, 786, heard this number is used by muslims
Should i use this socks for daughter or not?
God bless!
I'm not sure why you posted this in the forum for suggesting ideas to improve CC.
I'm not sure where 786 has to do with anything. But numbers occur in the world, naturally. To think a number needs to be avoided is superstition, not biblical teaching. It's just a number.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
It's only a number, nothing else. :) But if it makes you uncomfortable, don't wear the socks..

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Levi, I appreciate your desire to please God. I respect this about you. However, I think we need to cast down imaginations, meaning is there anything in the bible concerning socks or this number? To me...it seems if He doesn't speak on it, we should not fret on it. I agree with blue_, though, if it pricks your conscience get different socks, as it may ease your mind and concerns.

M

Miri

This is why Levi is worried I think.

https://themuslimvibe.com/faith-islam/why-is-the-number-786-symbolic-in-islam

The number 786 that many Muslims from the Sub-Continent use to signify “in the name of Allah, the ever merciful, the ever compassionate,” is derived from an ancient system of Arabic numerology called abjad. This system of numerology has a long history dating back to the Urgarty manuscripts 1500 years before the birth of Jesus (a). In this system each letter is assigned a certain number between 1 and 1000. For instance the alif is ascribed the number 1, the ya’ is ascribed the number 10, the qaaf is ascribed the number 100, and the ghayn is ascribed the number 1000.

The numbers related to the words are then added and one reaches a number signifying the word. For instance the Arabic word ‘Ali is: 70 (ayn) + 30 (lam) + 10 (ya) = 110. You can calculate the following numbers equaling 786 below:

There are a few traditions from the Imams (a) regarding the amjad system of numerology. For instance it has been reported that Imam Rida (a) said: “The first thing that Allah created for mankind to learn were the mu’jam letters.”

Levi I would say that it’s entirely up to you. If you feel uncomfortable about then don’t wear them. Over here some people won’t wear anything with 13 or 999 on them. But that is more of a superstition rather than a religious thing.

I can understand why you may feel uncomfortable with socks praising Allah.

But on the other hand maybe you could keep them, maybe even wear them and use them as an opportunity for evangelism. Use them to explain who the true God of mercy, love and compassion is.

God bless you Levi which ever you feel most comfortable doing. I think sometimes we over here in the West, don’t fully understand the pressures you may face.