A difference?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Talljake

Jul 17, 2022
So my question is:

Is there a difference between hell, the bottomless pit, and the lake of fire?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
So my question is:

Since hell gets thrown into the lake of fire, they are definitely different things.

Hell is otherwise known as Sheol, the holding place for the dead; both the righteous and unrighteous expected to go there.

The lake of fire is said to be created for Satan and his angels (Matthew 25:41) Then He will say to those
on His left,
‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

The bottomless pit may be associated with a place called Tartarus. This Greek word is translated
as “hell” and is used only once in Scripture, in 2 Peter 2:4. It refers to the place where “angels who
sinned” are reserved in chains of darkness for judgment
. <= from gotquestions

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
So my question is:

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭6:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭20:13-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Hell or “ Sheol “ is a place for the spirits of the wicked to be tormented until the judgement at the end of this world. At the judgement he’ll will give up e wry one trapped in it all that had died and been sent there and then hella purpose will have ended it will be destroyed in “the lake of fire “

the lake of fire is an image of this

“but the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. …But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:7, 10, 12-13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the fire will come to destroy this creation it will all be burned up even death and hell which became part of this creation because of sin

The lake of fire will destroy this creation death and hell are part of it so they are thrown into the fire that Jesus came to save us from

“and to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭1:7-9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

his fire will destroy all that’s wicked even hell and will leave his promise we look for Peter was explaining after the lake of fire destroys everything

“And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (everything was destroyed in the lake of fire he was casting it all into just before this )

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭21:1-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

hell is different from the lake of fire , the bottomless pit is most specifically referenced regarding the beast that rises up before the end and nonone can get out of hell until he destroys the barrier according to Jesus so I’d say also it’s different from hell and more soecific to the beast appearing not once but twice but being held in a bottomless pit between those time periods when he destroys upon earth

And all of the events surrounding his appearances on earth all of course the chaos and destruction happening under his reign …..being understood allegorically according to ot prophecy much more than literal images of future events

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
So my question is:

While translators may have missed the mark on some things with the word hell…. It really is the religious doctrines and teachers that have exacerbated the definition of hell, based on Greek mythology and used it as a fear motivation rather than using Jesus Christ as love motivation.

The Hebrew word “sheol”…...and the Greek words “hades”, “gehenna”, “katakaio”, and “tartaros”… have all been translated as the English word HELL …and Hell as being that of eternal torment….but they are not the same.

The word “hades” from the Greek, was used as a counterpart to the Hebrew word “sheol” and is more accurately defined as a state of being rather than a place.

Gravedom is a word coined by E W Bullinger, and is a great word for hell; it is the state, reign or time of being in the grave. ….not the grave itself, which employs the Greek word (qeber). I am speaking of the time when one takes his last breath, until the return of our savior Jesus Christ…..when he returns, first, for the Church of the Body, and later when He returns as King of Kings

We must disregard the meaning that is placed on the word hell today. The Bibles’ definition is…. “the state of being when one dies,” it’s a continuing state until the resurrection.” That’s it ….it is that simple, and that defined in the Bible.

Sheol (Hebrew) Old Testament and Hades (Greek) New Testament are basically the two words, both meaning grave or gravedom.

Sheol is translated grave 31 times, hell 31 times, and pit 3 times.

Hades is translated hell 10, times and grave 1 time.

Interpreters Dictionary of the Bible (1962 vol. 1 p788) states

“The English word “hell” has taken on the mythological Greek meaning associated with the pagan idea of an underworld where the dead continue to live on in torment.”

The standard for truth in defining words has got to come from the Bible itself, not from the meaning(s) attached to it, which is where the confusion comes in.

In Greek mythology.... Hades was the god of the underworld and his name came to represent this fictitious place that we understand as Hell. The Septuagint was a second century B.C. Greek translation of the Old Testament, and in it…. the word Hades was chosen as the counterpart to the Hebrew word “Sheol”.

As is done with “Sheol”, many English versions of the Bible erroneously translate the Greek word “Hades” as hell... rather than grave.

(As E. W. Bullinger states “The Old Testament is the fountain-head of the Hebrew language. It has no literature behind it. But the case is entirely different with the Greek language. The Hebrew word “Sheol” is divine in its origin and usage. The Greek “Hades” is human in its nature and come down laden with centuries of development, in which it has acquired new senses, meaning and usages.”

NOWHERE in the Old Testament is the abode of the dead regarded as a place of punishment or torment. The concept of an infernal “hell” developed in Israel only during the Hellenistic period.

As believers we must use the Bible’s interpretation of itself, to define words within the Word.

Clearly there is no justification to the eternal torment, which has been advocated throughout Christendom today. Whether we translate it or transliterate it, we must give it the meaning that God purposed; everything else outside the Word of God must be discarded.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The word “perish” Gr: (apollymi) means to utterly destroy; annihilate. That’s what happens to those who reject Jesus Christ and all those previous to the Grace administration who were evil and rejected God…..

It’s not eternal torment ….it’s total consuming….by fire

Gehenna” (geenna) A Greek word for the Hebrew “valley of Hinnom” which was a city dump outside of Jerusalem.

When Christ would address this, He was illustrating that garbage thrown into the gehenna would be burned up. No one listening to Jesus would believe that that the garbage would continue to exist in the fire ….without being consumed. This is the place of everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord spoken of in 2Th 1:9 ….It refers to the fire of judgment in which the wicked will one day be consumed. It is called “the lake of fire” in the book of Revelation where fire will bring the ultimate annihilation of the devil and his hosts.

The last two words translated HELL are Katakaio and Tartarous.

Katakaio” is used in Hebrews_13:11 regarding the sacrificial beasts that were burned outside the camp.

Heb 13:11 For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.

This same word is used in Matthew_3:12

Mat 3:12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Neither Chaff nor beasts burn forever………… they burn up and are gone …

Tartarous is used once and translated hell in II Peter_2:4 it refers to the place of imprisoned evil sprits ……not a place of torment for sinners.

2Pe 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So my question is: Is there a difference between hell, the bottomless pit, and the lake of fire?
The Lake of Fire is Gehenna, which is eternal Hell. Sheol/Hades, Tartarus, and the Bottomless Pit are not eternal Hell.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The KJV mistranslated a number of different words into hell, which was a mistake.

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018
So my question is:

Lake of fire not underground.Lake of fire is in the heavens.

Zech 14
12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
So my question is:

We English speakers would know each as Hell. They are hot, cause torments and nobody wants to bee there.
Revelation says death and Hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
When the spiritual dead are judged the whole hopelessness of people that were in hell will go to the lake of fire. These will consist of all who try to get saved by any means other than complete faith in Christ.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Don’t forget to throw the “outer darkness” in there.
The Lake of Fire, Gehenna, Eternal Hell, would be in "outer darkness". It would see that there is a region outside of space reserved for the Lake of Fire (which presently exists but does not have any occupants). On the other hand. Sheol/Hades, Tartarus, and the Bottomless Pit are near the core of the earth.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Honestly, my main concern is with my being an heir to the Promise. I know what my future holds and where my celestial self will spend eternity. For me, this is the focus of my life.

:)