A list of inspired and non-inspired books mentioned in the Bible that are not part of our canon.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Jesus, Paul and Peter quoting the man Enoch does not mean they are quoting the book. That is how oral traditions work :)
Amen and those statements are also in other pre Christian Jewish writings not only the book of Enoch

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
One Maccabees should be in the Old Testament, no question about that.
a yeah I think a lot of people forget that there are about 350 years between Malachi and Matthew

a some of those writings are a historical account of what happened in and around Jerusalem and to the Jewish people during those lost times scriptirally

for instance the Maccabean books while they aren’t the same as scripture they are an accurate account of the events that happened to the Jews and caused the revolt

awe see things like Antiochus epiphanes sacrifice the pig in Gods temple to Zeus , and the slaughters that occurred in those times many events recorded in books like those from that period hold accounts of events prophecied in the Bible

So what some consider “ gnostic “ texts still have a lot of value in reading such as your saying the Maccabean records they still hold a lot of true information regarding historical events which help in some prophetic timelines for someone who’s studying or wondering about certain prophecies

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Yes, I know :)2 Peter‬ ‭3:18~

Some parts of his letters are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable
people distort, as they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
amen

as they do the rest of the Scriptures,

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
One should rise to meet their teachers :geek:
Such a false teaching troubkemaker 😀

“And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.

But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: but one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭10:39-42‬ ‭KJV‬‬

ps I would only joke like that with you dear sister

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Such a false teaching troubkemaker 😀

“And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.

But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: but one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭10:39-42‬ ‭KJV‬‬

ps I would only joke like that with you dear sister
I have long been averse to housework :ROFL:

I knew you were having me on ;)

I have been working on this panel :D

Proverbs 17:14 + 17
And made additions/alterations/edits to this one :)

Isaiah 40:6B-8

Mem

Sep 23, 2014

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Very clever. Which reminds me: why do we always stand corrected? Is it an etiquette faux pas to sit corrected?
I would think it is because sitting represents authority and power. Like a "sitting" judge.

Mark 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
All the books mentioned in John 21:25

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I would think it is because sitting represents authority and power. Like a "sitting" judge.

Mark 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Indeed. I have learned my lesson and will henceforth stand corrected to the glory of God.

James47

Room Moderator
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
I could be wrong, I have been before , Well brace your self , Your wrong lol Its a complete list of all type of books mentioned or used in scripture. Make of it what you wish . When most people speak on lost books etc its usally the Apocrypha

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Introduction:
1. There are quite a few inspired books referenced in the Bible that we do not possess today because the Holy Spirit realized we did not need them as part of the canon.
2. There are also a number of uninspired books references or even quoted in the Bible.

I. Uninspired civil and historical record books mentioned or quoted in the Bible:

1. The Book of Wars of the Lord: "Therefore it is said in the Book of the Wars of the Lord," Num. 21:14
  2. The Book of Jasher: "So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, Until the nation avenged themselves of their enemies. Is it not written in the book of Jashar? And the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day." Joshua 10:13
  3. The annals of Jehu: "Now the rest of the acts of Jehoshaphat, first to last, behold, they are written in the annals of Jehu the son of Hanani, which is recorded in the Book of the Kings of Israel." 2 Chronicles 20:34
  4. The treatise of the book of the Kings: "As to his sons and the many oracles against him and the rebuilding of the house of God, behold, they are written in the treatise of the Book of the Kings. Then Amaziah his son became king in his place." 2 Chronicles 24:27
  5. The record book of records, Book of the Chronicles of Ahasuerus: "Now when the plot was investigated and found to be so, they were both hanged on a gallows; and it was written in the Book of the Chronicles in the king's presence." ... "During that night the king could not sleep so he gave an order to bring the book of records, the chronicles, and they were read before the king." Esther 2:23; 6:1
  6. The Acts of Solomon: "Now the rest of the acts of Solomon and whatever he did, and his wisdom, are they not written in the book of the acts of Solomon?" 1 Kings 11:41
  7. The Sayings of Hozai: "His prayer also and how God was entreated by him, and all his sin, his unfaithfulness, and the sites on which he built high places and erected the Asherim and the carved images, before he humbled himself, behold, they are written in the records of the Hozai." 2 Chronicles 33:19
  8. The Chronicles of David: "Joab the son of Zeruiah had begun to count them, but did not finish; and because of this, wrath came upon Israel, and the number was not included in the account of the chronicles of King David." 1 Chronicles 27:24
  9. Jude quotes from two uninspired books that were widely read during the first century:
    1. Testament of Moses: in Jude 9

• i. "But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”" (Jude 9)
  • ii. The Testament of Moses was written about 10 AD and it Correctly predicted Jesus would come in 29 AD based upon the chronology of the Septuagint (LXX) and the prophecies of Dan 9:24 (70 weeks = 490 years) and Dan 2 that the kingdom of God would come during the 4th (Roman) empire.
  • iii. The Testament of Moses, also known as the Assumption of Moses, is not inspired.

1. The book of Enoch: in Jude 14

• iv. Enoch lived before the flood but the book of Enoch dates to about 150 BC and many fragments of the book have been discovered in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
  • v. "It was also about these men that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones"" Jude 14, see also Gen 5:18, 21ff
  • vi. It is important to differentiate between that man Enoch the prophet and the uninspired pseudepigraphal book of Enoch of 150 BC.

II. Bible quotations of oral prophecies by inspired prophets, for which we have no other record:

• 1. The prophet Enoch:
  • a. Enoch lived before the flood but the book of Enoch dates to about 150 BC and many fragments of the book have been discovered in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
  • b. "It was also about these men that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones"" Jude 14, see also Gen 5:18, 21ff
  • c. It is important to differentiate between that man Enoch the prophet and the uninspired pseudepigraphal book of Enoch of 150 BC.
  • d. The oral or written prophecies of Enoch who lived before the flood must have been recorded by a later prophet of the Bible and the information passed into oral tradition.
  • e. It is very unlikely if not impossible to think that Enoch’s oral or prophecies from before the flood survived down to the first century.

III. Inspired books mentioned in the Bible that are not part of our canon:
  1. The Chronicles of Samuel, Nathan, Gad: "Now the acts of King David, from first to last, are written in the chronicles of Samuel the seer, in the chronicles of Nathan the prophet and in the chronicles of Gad the seer" 1 Chronicles 29:29
  2. Samuels book: "Then Samuel told the people the ordinances of the kingdom, and wrote them in the book and placed it before the Lord." 1 Samuel 10:25
  3. The records of Nathan the prophet: "Now the rest of the acts of Solomon, from first to last, are they not written in the records of Nathan the prophet, and in the prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite, and in the visions of Iddo the seer concerning Jeroboam the son of Nebat?" 2 Chronicles 9:29
  4. The Prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite: "Now the rest of the acts of Solomon, from first to last, are they not written in the records of Nathan the prophet, and in the prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite, and in the visions of Iddo the seer concerning Jeroboam the son of Nebat?" 2 Chronicles 9:29
  5. The Treatise of the Prophet Iddo: "Now the rest of the acts of Abijah, and his ways and his words are written in the treatise of the prophet Iddo." 2 Chronicles 13:22
  6. Paul's inspired letter to the church at Laodicea: "When this letter is read among you, have it also read in the church of the Laodiceans; and you, for your part read my letter that is coming from Laodicea." Colossians 4:16 (Since three early manuscripts do not contain the words "at Ephesus" in Eph 1:1, some have speculated that the letter coming from Laodicea was in fact the letter of Ephesians. Apostolic Fathers also debated this possibility.)
  7. Paul's first letter to Corinth, that predated the present "1 Corinthians"? "I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people" (1 Corinthians 5:9) (This could merely be a reference to the present letter of 1 Corinthians.)

IV. Genuine divine books mentioned in the Bible located in the heavens:

1. The Book of Remembrance: "Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another, and the Lord gave attention and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the Lord and who esteem His name." Malachi 3:16
  2. The Book of Life: Dan. 12:1; Phil. 4:3; Rev. 20:12; 22:19
  3. The Book of Judgment: Dan. 7:10; Rev. 20:12
  4. The book with seven seals: "I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a book written inside and on the back, sealed up with seven seals." Revelation 5:1
  5. Book in angel's hand: Then the voice which I heard from heaven, I heard again speaking with me, and saying, "Go, take the book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the land." Revelation 10:8

V. Bible quotations of secular, uninspired writings:

1. Uninspired Athenian poet: "for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.'" Acts 17:28

By Steve Rudd:​
Have you listed the Book of Life?