A Little about Lust

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shawntc

Senior Member
May 7, 2010
729
11
0
Lust is a powerful sin. If you're a person, not living in a third-world country, and with the slightest access to the outside world, you're probably locked in an ongoing battle with lustful desires. I'm no exception to the rule. Western society has gotten to the point where it's impossible to not run across some kind of temptation - be it on the Internet, TV, or even in real life.

Without going too much into detail, lust is a bit like a drug. When we entertain dirty thoughts or outright engage in some form of sexual immorality, our bodies produce feel-good hormones. Fun fact, drugs do that too. That's what makes them addicting. The more we give in to sexual temptations, the more we feed this unstated dependency or addiction.

I have found that in order to combat lust you need to be a bit more extreme in handling the sources of temptation. Indeed, Jesus used remarkable imagery:

Matthew 5:27-30: "You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

I would not advise literally dismembering yourself, since you can still be blind and deaf and yet lust after people. The gist of it is that when it comes to lust, it's best to not take chances. Cut every source of temptation. Make sure to avoid any situation where you might end up being tempted. There are some sins where you perhaps don't need to be so on-guard. If a person walks by and drops a $100 bill I may be tempted to take it and run, but I will probably try to give it back to them. If a scantily-clad woman walks by, chances are good my eyes are going to fall on her for a few seconds, maybe longer if I'm not attentive. There's a significant difference there.
 

Attachments

  • Photo0461.jpg
    Photo0461.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 396
  • Photo0448.jpg
    Photo0448.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 372
  • Photo0452.jpg
    Photo0452.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Photo0453.jpg
    Photo0453.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Photo0455.jpg
    Photo0455.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 363
  • Photo0457.jpg
    Photo0457.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 339
  • Photo0459.jpg
    Photo0459.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 411
okay, you got me. I thought I was the only one. but can lust make you want to fanatise about having sex with both genders... and I mean really dirty thoughts... do we all have or had those
 
ForReal;bt3257 said:
okay, you got me. I thought I was the only one. but can lust make you want to fanatise about having sex with both genders... and I mean really dirty thoughts... do we all have or had those

I don't think everyone has dirty thoughts about people who are the same gender as theirs, at least I haven't. But yes, everyone has dealt with lustful thoughts at some point or another. And yes, I suppose lust can cause you to think of others of the same gender as you, if your sexual orientation allows it. A lot of Christians don't like to discuss it, but it's a real and present part of life. Some are better than others at handling such thoughts and desires.
 
Oh, this is so convicting! There is this boy whom I used to go to school with, and I liked him a lot. when I left the school, I still liked him. It has been 2 years and I still like him. I was disappointed when I thought I would never see him again... then I dreamed about him. In my dream he rescued me from this other boy who was raping me. I have never imagined 'making love with him' >.< but I do imagine us getting married etc. I think it is kind of for the better that I never see him again, but I am heartbroken. Any help, shawntc?
 
myoceanrat;bt3262 said:
Oh, this is so convicting! There is this boy whom I used to go to school with, and I liked him a lot. when I left the school, I still liked him. It has been 2 years and I still like him. I was disappointed when I thought I would never see him again... then I dreamed about him. In my dream he rescued me from this other boy who was raping me. I have never imagined 'making love with him' >.< but I do imagine us getting married etc. I think it is kind of for the better that I never see him again, but I am heartbroken. Any help, shawntc?

Honestly, I think I'm the wrong person to ask about such things. I don't do well with matters of the heart. But I will say this, at least: pray for wisdom and God will give it to you (James 1:5). Then think about what you should do, and do it. If you end up doing the right thing, great! If not then at least you know what not to do.