A Matter of Life and Death!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Richie_2uk
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Richie_2uk

Guest
A Matter of Life and Death!
Theodore Epp


(James 3:1-6) 1. Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. [SUP]2. [/SUP]We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. [SUP]4 [/SUP]Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. [SUP]5 [/SUP]Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. [SUP]6 [/SUP]The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.


Consider a few parallels that a fire has with words spoken by the tongue:
1. It hurts,
2. it spreads,
3. it consumes.
but it can have a good use under control.


It only takes one false or bitter word to hurt deeply. In fact, the hurt may be so deep that recovery is impossible.
Just as fire spreads, so do spoken words. Some people are always willing to listen to destructive words about others, and they spread the words further so the damage becomes even more extensive.


Just as fire consumes, so do words spoken by a tongue that is out of control. Fire will destroy anything combustible that lies within its path. Words, too, have been known to destroy careers and lives. This is especially seen in the news media when political viewpoints are at stake.


We who know Jesus Christ as Saviour need to think solemnly about this matter so our tongues are not used to the disadvantage of others. Proverbs 18:21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit"


Think of it! The power of death and life reside in the tongue. And the last phrase of this verse especially applies to those who spread gossip: "Those who love it will eat its fruit."
"Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles" (Prov. 21:23).
 
Being a teacher, I used to worry about teachers being judged more harshly since I know we all "see as in a glass darkly" and speak that which we believe God has revealed to us. And since I know there is no teacher with all "perfect and pure" words, I wonder if it isn't our motive for teaching that will be judged. Some teach to gain a following, to put forth their own unscriptural agenda, to gain financial support, and other selfish reasons.

I am so glad that I am under His mercy as I teach, and He knows that I am faithful to what I believe is true. Even though I still have much to learn, my teaching will gain depth and deeper truths as I keep studying the Word. But if we all waited until we knew we were absolutely perfect in our teaching, wouldn't there be a spirit of pride then?