A Said-faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

NetChaplain

Nov 21, 2018
I believe it’s not commonly understood that an “apostate” is one who only professes to be in the faith but in truth has yet to be saved, i.e. reborn. Of all who profess to “confess Jesus is Lord” (Ro 10:9), there will always be some (“a little leaven”) who only “honor Me with their lips (confess); but their heart is far from Me (Mat 15:8). They “profess they know God; but in works they deny Him” (Tit 1:16). These are those James wrote of that “may say you have faith,” but “have no works” (Jas 2:17, 18).

No “works,” or in other words no “fruit of the Spirit!” Works, which is the Sprit’s fruit, cannot exist within man apart from faith, for faith always manifests works, thus all faith-professors will inevitably see for themselves whether or not they are in the faith by their lifestyle (Mat 12:33); and by the Spirit (Rom 8:16).

Apostates, for long periods of time can maintain the “tare” position, even “until the harvest” (Mat 13:30); and it is this hypocrisy that outwardly appears to be in the Body of Christ (Mat 24:24), but eventually is seen by all. These are the ones Scripture writes of, that fall or depart only from the doctrine of Grace, never having received the truth of Grace (2Ti 3:7; 4:3, 4); who have only received its knowledge but not its truth imparted (Heb 10:26), which is “the engrafted Word, which is able to save your souls” (Jas 1:21).

I think one of the most encouraging confirmations of being in Christ that can be enjoyed is being ever aware that “God works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure” (Phl 2:13). This is inwardly manifested by noticing the prevalence of the ongoing desire or “will” to put God first, which aids us in repeatedly “putting off the old man” as it shows itself in its erroneous tempting’s, of which we need not to be “anxious” (Phl 4:6), but rather “cast” whatever it concerns us with “on Him” (1Pe 5:7), entrusting all to Him!

Mar 4, 2020
I believe it’s not commonly understood that an “apostate” is one who only professes to be in the faith but in truth has yet to be saved, i.e. reborn. Of all who profess to “confess Jesus is Lord” (Ro 10:9), there will always be some (“a little leaven”) who only “honor Me with their lips (confess); but their heart is far from Me (Mat 15:8). They “profess they know God; but in works they deny Him” (Tit 1:16). These are those James wrote of that “may say you have faith,” but “have no works” (Jas 2:17, 18).

No “works,” or in other words no “fruit of the Spirit!” Works, which is the Sprit’s fruit, cannot exist within man apart from faith, for faith always manifests works, thus all faith-professors will inevitably see for themselves whether or not they are in the faith by their lifestyle (Mat 12:33); and by the Spirit (Rom 8:16).

Apostates, for long periods of time can maintain the “tare” position, even “until the harvest” (Mat 13:30); and it is this hypocrisy that outwardly appears to be in the Body of Christ (Mat 24:24), but eventually is seen by all. These are the ones Scripture writes of, that fall or depart only from the doctrine of Grace, never having received the truth of Grace (2Ti 3:7; 4:3, 4); who have only received its knowledge but not its truth imparted (Heb 10:26), which is “the engrafted Word, which is able to save your souls” (Jas 1:21).

I think one of the most encouraging confirmations of being in Christ that can be enjoyed is being ever aware that “God works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure” (Phl 2:13). This is inwardly manifested by noticing the prevalence of the ongoing desire or “will” to put God first, which aids us in repeatedly “putting off the old man” as it shows itself in its erroneous tempting’s, of which we need not to be “anxious” (Phl 4:6), but rather “cast” whatever it concerns us with “on Him” (1Pe 5:7), entrusting all to Him!
In my honest opinion, works don't prove to God we have faith. Rather, God can recognize what true faith is without us lifting a finger.

Rather, our works prove ourselves to other people if we are striving to impress others. James talks a lot about people showing their faith to each other, but never actually mentions that God requires works:

James 2:8
18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

And people are justified singularly by faith in Christ through which they access the grace of God.

Romans 5:1-2
1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

NetChaplain

Nov 21, 2018
In my honest opinion, works don't prove to God we have faith. Rather, God can recognize what true faith is without us lifting a finger.
Hi and thanks for the instructional reply! You're right about God not needing proof. As you've mentioned, He knows. Works are for others to see and assume with the advantage of not doubting that He is in us and so be used of Him (Mat 5:16). And you're right that just because the fruit of the Spirit seems to be seen in our walk, it doesn't confirm to others we're reborn (saved). Only those whom we know personally and spend sufficient time with can be presumed (but not confirm) they're in the faith; but only God knows for certain of everyone, for we cannot know another's mind and heart as He does.

[QUOTE="Runningman, post: 4560233, member: 294652]Rather, our works prove ourselves to other people if we are striving to impress others. James talks a lot about people showing their faith to each other, but never actually mentions that God requires works:

"James 2:8
18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.[/QUOTE]
To me, "show me your faith without works" is in the sense that faith cannot be manifested to others without works, i.e. one cannot have faith and not show it by works, for faith is not idle and cannot be "hidden" (Mat 5:15), which is the purpose of works (fruit of the Spirit), to show faith.

[QUOTE="Runningman, post: 4560233, member: 294652]And people are justified singularly by faith in Christ through which they access the grace of God.

Romans 5:1-2
1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.[/QUOTE]
We're in agreement here, being justified only by grace in Christ. Some misunderstand "justification" in thinking works makes one righteous, instead of being made righteous allows one to be used in good works.

Wanted to mention the word "justification" has two primary meanings: 1) to make one righteous; 2) to show one is righteous.
Jas 2:24 is exemplary here: "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." In this passage the sense of "works" is in the latter definition, as faith justifies (show or manifest) one, and works justifies (show or manifest) faith.