A way of escape?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 24, 2019
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide an escape, so that you can stand up under it.

I am a driver. On New year's eve, when I got to work they told me i was "spare".
A more experienced driver who had a lot of deliveries said to me "you're taking my run out tonight" and tried to give me the keys for the van.
I resisted him, because I wanted to laugh and joke with the staff in the yard.
When I got to work I just wanted to get home and read some sermons to encourage my faith.
But because I didn't take "the way of escape" I laughed and joked with the men at the yard and forgot about the sermons and went home and started drinking.
About 11pm I googled taxi numbers to get a taxi into town and, care-free, spend my rent-money.
I phoned the first one and found myself in a conversation with a Brazilian Christian lady who lived in London, who, after listening to my drunken nonsense, said to me "wouldn't it be better to take a shower and go to bed".
Praise God!
I went to bed.

Practice taking the way of escape!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Practice not drinking when you get home.. (y)

Feb 24, 2019
Practice not drinking when you get home.. (y)
Thanks for the good advice.
'Practice' might well be the key.
The trigger for my drinking these days is usually always unbelief.
I cannot guarantee not falling into unbelief. Even just a few hours of the wrong environment and company can get me there - (old habits die hard!).
But, I might be able to 'Practice', more and more often, making my response the re-kindling of my faith rather than beer.
I will certainly give it a try.

I was thinking a good bumper-sticker might be something like 'Jesus is my ice-cream' (comfort-food).

Feb 24, 2019
I'm new to this sort of web-site and I'm only just beginning to find my way round, so I've posted a few things in the wrong places by mistake. I've also been on here when I've been drinking beer which I regret and repent of.
I've only just realized this is a personal-blog forum (posted 'way of escape' here by mistake.) and I've never blogged before, but I'm going to give it a try.

So, I just bumped into a new neighbor who I gave a bible to the other day.
He asked how I was so I told him I was joy-filled with faith in Jesus at the moment, and showed him a picture of my new 'Jesus' T-Shirt.
We got into a conversation about belief and I told him most Christians don't REALLY believe.
He seemed a bit offended saying his grandparents went to church all their lives, and asked if I was telling him they didn't REALLY believe.
I asked him to imagine he was playing sport on a beach with friends. Suddenly he gets a phone-call from his sister telling him a tidal-wave is coming and begging him to get off the beach. And then asked how someone would know whether he REALLY believed his sister's message. He laughed and said he got it, and shook my hand, and said atheists always point to the fact that Christians are still playing football!

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
I'm new to this sort of web-site and I'm only just beginning to find my way round, so I've posted a few things in the wrong places by mistake. I've also been on here when I've been drinking beer which I regret and repent of.
I've only just realized this is a personal-blog forum (posted 'way of escape' here by mistake.) and I've never blogged before, but I'm going to give it a try.

So, I just bumped into a new neighbor who I gave a bible to the other day.
He asked how I was so I told him I was joy-filled with faith in Jesus at the moment, and showed him a picture of my new 'Jesus' T-Shirt.
We got into a conversation about belief and I told him most Christians don't REALLY believe.
He seemed a bit offended saying his grandparents went to church all their lives, and asked if I was telling him they didn't REALLY believe.
I asked him to imagine he was playing sport on a beach with friends. Suddenly he gets a phone-call from his sister telling him a tidal-wave is coming and begging him to get off the beach. And then asked how someone would know whether he REALLY believed his sister's message. He laughed and said he got it, and shook my hand, and said atheists always point to the fact that Christians are still playing football!
"Hang in there...:)

Feb 24, 2019
Just read another Alexander Maclaren sermon on BibleHub. I am working through the ones on 1 Peter at the moment, having recently finished all the ones on John and Matthew.
As soon as I finish one I want to read it again. They are such an overflow of nutritious faith-food.

He has such a clear understanding of the gospel and each sermon helps to bring me a little closer to his God-given clarity.

It is the first thing I do every morning and it always fully charges my battery of faith before I go out into the world.

I implore you and beg you to read 2 or 3 of his sermons which are stored as "Maclaren" under 'Commentaries' on Bible-Hub in the hope they will bring to you the same surge of immense joy and faith that they bring to me.

Not every food is to everyone's taste, but, as I find these exceptional, I urge you to give them a try.