About the book of Job

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
It's not known where Uz is, but based on the fact that he lived to be super-old and made sacrifices without a priest, and other cultural factors, it's widely accepted that he was a gentile.
BlueLetterBible - "Uz, the Land Of: where Job lived (Job 1:1; Jer 25:20; Lam 4:21), probably somewhere to the east or south-east of Palestine and north of Edom. It is mentioned in Scripture only in these three passages."

To the East . . . that likely means Gentile.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I've never thought about it.

I'm guessing that they also know about the NT and that we claim as children of Jehovah the whole bible including their part.

I would love to have a long talk with a true old Jewish man. Can you imagine the insight on the first five books....because they live them daily!

I would love to sit down with a European Jew that survived WW2.
What a history lesson!

Don't kid yourself they know what we claim and believe.
Some feel superior still and we as Gentiles are as peasantsto them.....lol
Yes, yes . . . and YES! I would love to sit and listen.

iTheophilus

Oct 28, 2021
But consider…. We have a distinct advantage over Job. Job was actually a type of who a born again Christian is today. We have the knowledge of the truths of God's Word that Job didn’t have. In Job’s time, Christ had not yet walked the earth and suffered the crucifixion. Jesus has given those who follow Him power and authority over Satan. Job lacked the power and authority to expel Satan from his life; yet Job never turned his back on God.

"Oh, that my words were written! Oh, that they were inscribed in a book! That they were engraved on a rock With an iron pen and lead, forever! For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth; And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, That in my flesh I shall see God, Whom I shall see for myself, And my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me! - Job 19:23-27 (NKJV)

Just a little bit more to say if I may. Job didn’t even have the power of the Holy Spirit to put Satan in his place… So when things get a little rough, that‘s the time we need to think back on Job and the suffering that he went through, and it‘s an example for each one of us today. I think perhaps God had a purpose in allowing Job to be attacked by Satan—to encourage us to stay faithful to our God and endure to the end. Job loved God through thick and thin. How can we not do the same? Jesus walks by our side and He will always lighten our load so that we can bear whatever comes our way. He will never leave us nor forsake us.

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
But consider…. We have a distinct advantage over Job. Job was actually a type of who a born again Christian is today. We have the knowledge of the truths of God's Word that Job didn’t have. In Job’s time, Christ had not yet walked the earth and suffered the crucifixion. Jesus has given those who follow Him power and authority over Satan. Job lacked the power and authority to expel Satan from his life; yet Job never turned his back on God.

"Oh, that my words were written! Oh, that they were inscribed in a book! That they were engraved on a rock With an iron pen and lead, forever! For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth; And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, That in my flesh I shall see God, Whom I shall see for myself, And my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me! - Job 19:23-27 (NKJV)

Earth shaking and heart lifting are those words Job spoke.... PTL!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Just a little bit more to say if I may. Job didn’t even have the power of the Holy Spirit to put Satan in his place… So when things get a little rough, that‘s the time we need to think back on Job and the suffering that he went through, and it‘s an example for each one of us today. I think perhaps God had a purpose in allowing Job to be attacked by Satan—to encourage us to stay faithful to our God and endure to the end. Job loved God through thick and thin. How can we not do the same? Jesus walks by our side and He will always lighten our load so that we can bear whatever comes our way. He will never leave us nor forsake us.
amen I note in the very end a great example of Christianity everything he had lost he found more in the end

“So the Lord blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.

He had also seven sons and three daughters. And he called the name of the first, Jemima; and the name of the second, Kezia; and the name of the third, Keren–happuch. And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren.

After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons' sons, even four generations. So Job died, being old and full of days.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭42:12-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

through tribulations into glory

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:18‬ ‭

one key to getting through sufferings is having a firm hope of what God has promised in the gospel

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Earth shaking and heart lifting are those words Job spoke.... PTL!
I think that I'm the odd man out, here. I've never been inspired by Job. I'm certainly not an expert on the man, but I have read the book of Job several times. If you can think of it, is there a passage that really grabs your heart? Maybe your thoughts and inspiration will rub off and onto me. Maybe? I hope so. :D

soberxp

May 3, 2018
I always thought someone would mistakenly understand Job's story.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
I appreciate all that you wrote . . . Truly.

As I have read Job, I struggle to see how he did [not] sin. I feel that if I said the things that Job said about (and to) the Lord, I'd be shaking in my proverbial boots. In fact, I am bothered by many of the things that Job said . . . they really rub me wrong.

Have you ever felt that way about Job?
I perfectly understand him but I'm not in his situation. He lost everything and he had a really special relation to God according to the Bible.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Good! I am glad that my experiences bring you smiles, for this is the full intention of the Lord. His ways are not our ways, meaning that we see His ways as backward. Such as, the death of His Saints is beautiful. That's quite a concept, considering that the vast majority of Christians fear their deaths, including myself. That said, I am learning to anticipate my death, even submitting my physical flesh to whatever form of death he has chosen. I know that regardless of how I die, it will be worth it. I've had a foot within the Door of Heaven and I can attest that how we die is absolutely irrelevant. That said, I sure hope that I do not endure the kind of torture that some of our prisoners of war have endured. My former uncle . . . 7 years in Vietnam. It is inconceivable what that man lived through.

But, I'm not sure that I view the Devil as my enemy. Instead, I view the Devil as a bolt of lightning that fell from the sky because of the Circumcision of Christ. I never, never think about the Devil and his possible impact on my life. I have no fear of Satan, but instead, I have True Fear of the Lord.

Luke 10:17-18 KJV - "And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. 18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."

"Absolutely," does that make sense? :)
We often have to fight our own demons or our internal demons

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Ok
One thing to remember...Job was third party to a " bet" between God and satan.

I read and reread Job.

Check this out ( and i have never heard this preached), Joe never knew it was Satan doing all that mischief to him and as far as I can tell ,correct me if I'm wrong, God never told him it was Satan. Now fast-forward to the New Testament .
the dynamic is reversed in the New Testament .
Satan is already defeated and he is exposed.
with Job he was not exposed ...and watch this ....Jesus gave us authority over him even though he's defeated.
we have authority over that defeated foe .
you look at the armor of God, the Shield of Faith to quench all the fiery darts of the enemy that means if you're in faith ,Satan cannot get to you .
when you see the darts you can see that he is trying to attack you.

we are the family of God and we have an enemy .
it was different with Job because Job is not a new testament dynamic. Jobe in my opinion represents the destruction of the flesh .
and another thing job represents is the tenacity ,determination, and the single-mindedness of the True Believer.
I would say testimony instead of "bet" regarding the special relationship between God and Job and the fact that Job speaks with his heart.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Thank you, PC. I really enjoyed all of your work above. I think that what I was saying, though, is that it wasn't until after God had unleashed Satan that Job began to unravel, in my opinion. Yes, the Lord had no issues with Job prior to Satan's arrival, but it was after Satan began to do the amazing things he did that Job's attitude was troublesome.

I always feel like I'm hard on Job and think to myself that if I go back and read his thoughts that are directed to the Lord, that I would perhaps feel better about Job . . . I find that I don't (and it doesn't matter which translation I use). My last reading through Job was through the amazing Jewish Tanakh, and sure enough, Job seems so rude to the Lord, almost as if Job had never had any real Spiritual experience with Him. Its as if when the Lord replied to Job that he began to grasp the True reality of God. I can relate to that idea (if that idea is True.) Short explanation:

My earliest memories of life include my "belief" in God and I really believed that my Faith and ideas of Faith were genuine. But, the incredible Spiritual experience that I had within the Arizona desert completely changed my scope of the reality of God. This was the moment that I realized my mud-puddle-like Faith. My Faith was shallow and muddy . . . very unclear. I get the feeling that Job experienced something like that when the Lord began to reply to Job. It was after the Lord replied to the Job that Job's unsavory attitude began to change . . . and there [is] a change. As said, this is precisely what happened to me. I realized that my Faith was not founded upon a solid foundation, but founded on a Gospel that was not complete at all. Absolutely, Job was much more Holy and Righteous than I, I was Truly a piece of sinful trash.

I don't know. I guess I just find it interesting that in all of Job's response . . . he didn't sin. To me, it appears that he sinned, thus I wonder if perhaps there was some sort of human translation error. Having experienced the Lord as I have, to the degree that if I had felt more of His Power, Peace, and Love, that my physical body would have been somehow altered, I cannot imagine having the thoughts that he had about God. Since my experience with Him, I know that it doesn't matter what happens to me in the world, even should I lose ALL things, including my total freedom, I would never speak the things that came from Job's mouth. It is impossible that I would think as he thought. Also, when I read the work of Paul, I can see that he never says anything like what Job had said. Regardless of Pauls being beaten to the point of likely death, being naked, shipwrecked, abandoned by all in the province of Asai, for example, he never said anything like what Job said.

Thanks for reading . . . I love to write and could go on and on about this. I guess that I love our Father so much that it hurts to read of Job's views of Him. Job seemed to have so little Wisdom, Knowledge, and Understanding.

IF I have offended anyone by what I wrote above, please accept my apologies. I am only writing from my heart.
Have you ever read in the Bible God saying please to a human being except to Job?

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
God could have (and should have) destroyed Satan the minute he became the Adversary (ha Satan) of God and man. But for some mysterious reason, he is still allowed to do his evil deeds, which will only get worse until he is cast into the Lake of Fire.
no mysterious reason, he could have done the same with Adam and Eve and started everything again but they were also angels in the story.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Your thoughts:

Do you feel that when Christians speak with active members of the Jewish faith, that we bother them as we reference their written Word? My Lawyer is Jewish, and while I adore this guy, I don't think that he feels the same way about me. I don't think he particularly appreciates it when I have said that I Love the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. But I do!

Thanks for your possible answers. This is new for me!
They shouldn't. Anyway they seemed more interested in the Talmud, in fact there are two Talmuds. And many Jews don't speak Hebrew and many don't know anything about the Torah. Once I spoke with one who was trying to learn Hebrew and the Torah and practising the Shabbat. But he didn't know anything about the word "Nephilim", he thought I was speaking about "Natinim".

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
I've never thought about it.

I'm guessing that they also know about the NT and that we claim as children of Jehovah the whole bible including their part.

I would love to have a long talk with a true old Jewish man. Can you imagine the insight on the first five books....because they live them daily!

I would love to sit down with a European Jew that survived WW2.
What a history lesson!

Don't kid yourself they know what we claim and believe.
Some feel superior still and we as Gentiles are as peasantsto them.....lol
The Talmud seems to be more important. I remember the story of a man who wanted more than the words of his Rabbin, he wanted to know what he did, in fact how he behaved with his wife in bed, so he hide below their bed.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
I think that I'm the odd man out, here. I've never been inspired by Job. I'm certainly not an expert on the man, but I have read the book of Job several times. If you can think of it, is there a passage that really grabs your heart? Maybe your thoughts and inspiration will rub off and onto me. Maybe? I hope so. :D
the dialogue between God and Job starting from JOB 38 to the end (not forgetting 38:3 and 40:7 when God says please to Job, if it's written in your Bible))

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Have you ever read in the Bible God saying please to a human being except to Job?
Job 33:1 - That really is quite an amazing find. I hadn't ever noticed that. I like that point . . . a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.