Absolute truth

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 5, 2020
Seems like a two bad words nowadays.

Many people like to think of having or making your own truth.. that statement of 'what's true for you is true for you, but not for me'

Like the illustration of the elephant that a bunch of people get blindfolded and then each touches the elephant. Each person says something different about what they are feeling.

Or a homage to post modernism that is a construction of stairs going nowhere.

Problem with the elephant story.. they are all touching an elephant! Doesn't matter what they think they are touching.. the truth is it is an elephant!

And with the post modernism piece.. look at the foundation of what the piece is built on..

Braces.. supports etc.. that follow true laws of gravity and physics!
Psalm 16:11
You lead me in the path of life; I experience absolute joy in your presence; you always give me sheer delight.

Isaiah 11:2-5
The LORD’s spirit will rest on him – a spirit that gives extraordinary wisdom, a spirit that provides the ability to execute plans, a spirit that produces absolute loyalty to the LORD.
He will take delight in obeying the LORD. He will not judge by mere appearances, or make decisions on the basis of hearsay.
He will treat the poor fairly, and make right decisions for the downtrodden of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and order the wicked to be executed.
Justice will be like a belt around his waist, integrity will be like a belt around his hips.

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
To make a claim that there is an absolute truth is to affirm that there is an objective base for reality. Whether you believe that to be true makes no difference to objective reality.

If I make a claim that absolute truth exists, I am agreeing with both the concept and making an absolute claim at the same time. Therefore, there is no contradiction.

If I claim that no absolute truth exists and at the same time make an absolute truth claim, I contradict myself (reason being is how do I know what I am saying is true if I claim to not know?)
To make a claim that there is an absolute truth is nothing more than expressing a belief, which merely affirms the subjective nature of your claim since you cannot provide any objective data in support of your claim that the absolute truth exists.

However, the lack of objective data to support a claim of absolute truth does not prove that the absolute truth doesn't exist, it merely reflects the objective reality that there is no data to demonstrate the existence of the absolute truth at this time.

While I agree that what I believe to be true makes no difference to objective truth, objective truth that is not self evident is subjective.

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
To make a claim that there is an absolute truth is nothing more than expressing a belief, which merely affirms the subjective nature of your claim since you cannot provide any objective data in support of your claim that the absolute truth exists.

However, the lack of objective data to support a claim of absolute truth does not prove that the absolute truth doesn't exist, it merely reflects the objective reality that there is no data to demonstrate the existence of the absolute truth at this time.

While I agree that what I believe to be true makes no difference to objective truth, objective truth that is not self evident is subjective.
But in order to provide "objective data" one would have to conclude that truth is definable in terms of data. When we start talking about data, we bring truth into the realm of the scientific. So to use the term "data" is misleading since truth is an abstract concept that cannot be defined in scientific terms.

And actually, objective truth can be proven since every time you make a statement that can be proved or disproved, you are referring to an objective referent. This proves that inside everyone, there an acceptance that objective truth (or reality) exists since by it, we measure everything else.

Going back to what I said earlier, the only question that matters is this: Does objective truth exist? Yes or no. Nothing else matters.

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
I'd argue, that furthermore, if objective truth does in fact, exist, it must be grounded within an objective reality.

What is the source of truth? It must be grounded in an absolute entity that gives birth to every constant known to humanity, including science.

I'd like to leave you with this interesting video. I think it speaks to the existence of an all-powerful, all-knowing creator who Himself is the source of all truth.

Take care.

Natasha91

Apr 27, 2019
Seeing absolute truth is like seeing a car. We can look at it and agree it is there and not understand anything about it except that it runs. To understand the car you need to know how the maker made it.

We see life and death, but to understand it we need to learn from the one who made it.
Agreed. Absolute truth is a concept we may have trouble understanding because our minds are finite. We cannot understand the mind of God, nor should we try to. Our job is simply to trust that His Word is true. And when we do that, we become free to do the work He has called us each to do.

Natasha91

Apr 27, 2019
I'd argue, that furthermore, if objective truth does in fact, exist, it must be grounded within an objective reality.

What is the source of truth? It must be grounded in an absolute entity that gives birth to every constant known to humanity, including science.

I'd like to leave you with this interesting video. I think it speaks to the existence of an all-powerful, all-knowing creator who Himself is the source of all truth.

Take care.
Very interesting! I'll admit, it is difficult at times to quickly come up with an adequate response when questioned about this, especially as it pertains to science. We know the truth, now let us all become more practised at defending it. Thank you for sharing!

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
Does objective truth exist? Yes or no. Nothing else matters.
Well, the reason I asked if you could define the nature of the absolute truth is because it is another false positive of ancient philosophy liken to the philosophical doctrine of ex nihilo nihil fit. While ex nihilo nihil fit simply translates that "from nothing comes nothing", with this being a generally understood fact of our known and observed universe you might even say it is an objective fact.

However, I ran across an article on-line about this subject which says:
"In order to understand absolute or universal truth, we must begin by defining truth. Truth, according to the dictionary, is “conformity to fact or actuality; a statement proven to be or accepted as true.”
however, the article doesn't define 'absolute truth' but it was defined by an previous post as being something which is true at all time and in all places.

Since I define truth as being no lie by nature, IMO truth is "a statement of fact, either known or seen which contains no inaccurate or false data." While I consider my definition of the truth as being no lie to be an objective truth at all times and in all places by some, that doesn't make it an absolute truth.

However, in the GotAnswers article it made the following claim:
A person cannot logically say, “There is no God” (even though many do so), because, in order to make such a statement, he would need to have absolute knowledge of the entire universe from beginning to end. Since that is impossible, the most anyone can logically say is “With the limited knowledge I have, I do not believe there is a God.”