Abstain from ALL appearance of evil

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lady4Him

Feb 18, 2017
In light of the new ‘Beauty and the Beast’ movie, I would like to discuss something else. I’m in no way condoning what is happening in this movie, homosexuality is wrong, no argument there, just wanting to draw our attention to other things as well. Some may consider this a harsh truth, others may agree, while some may disagree, but I feel it needs to be said. 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 mentions holding to the things that are good and staying away from evil. Verse 22 says to abstain from ALL things evil, so why are we just focusing on the sin in this movie? Why not the rest in our movie collection? Why we are not bothered by other sinful activities in these movies? Why is the CHRISTIAN population numb to the evil in horror movies? Why do we embrace violence, murder, sexual immorality, and demonic powers, etc. All of these are sin. It says to abstain from ALL appearance of evil, not just what you feel you should stay away from. The psalmist said “I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes” (Psalm 101:3). We live in a wicked world, no avoiding that. Sometimes evil will appear before our eyes but to purposefully partake or to focus on it is another matter. I’m just wondering why we harp on one sin, but embrace others? I do not support this movie by the way and I’m not defending it. I don’t agree with it, it’s wrong what’s happening, but I just don’t understand why that’s the only thing that’s getting the attention when other movies and tv shows Christians tend to watch have the same thing plus more evil activity in them.

Huglife

Aug 15, 2016
One of the reasons I dont like that movie is because I dont like the actor :p

But I agree with you on that statement

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Why is the CHRISTIAN population numb to the evil in horror movies?
I do not really care for horror movies...

the darkness does seem to be increasing in the entertainment industry.

Huglife

Aug 15, 2016

Horror movies are just evil. Most of them are, at any rate. They just seem so perverted with it. there is a thing as going to far with them, but they dont really care about now do they

Dec 12, 2013

Evil men and seducers will wax worse and worse......

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
In light of the new ‘Beauty and the Beast’ movie, I would like to discuss something else. I’m in no way condoning what is happening in this movie, homosexuality is wrong, no argument there, just wanting to draw our attention to other things as well. Some may consider this a harsh truth, others may agree, while some may disagree, but I feel it needs to be said. 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 mentions holding to the things that are good and staying away from evil. Verse 22 says to abstain from ALL things evil, so why are we just focusing on the sin in this movie? Why not the rest in our movie collection? Why we are not bothered by other sinful activities in these movies? Why is the CHRISTIAN population numb to the evil in horror movies? Why do we embrace violence, murder, sexual immorality, and demonic powers, etc. All of these are sin. It says to abstain from ALL appearance of evil, not just what you feel you should stay away from. The psalmist said “I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes” (Psalm 101:3). We live in a wicked world, no avoiding that. Sometimes evil will appear before our eyes but to purposefully partake or to focus on it is another matter. I’m just wondering why we harp on one sin, but embrace others? I do not support this movie by the way and I’m not defending it. I don’t agree with it, it’s wrong what’s happening, but I just don’t understand why that’s the only thing that’s getting the attention when other movies and tv shows Christians tend to watch have the same thing plus more evil activity in them.

1. The homosexual political agenda has done more in the last decade to upend our culture than other particular sin issues depicted in movies... thus a strong reaction from people.

2. The movie is from Disney, which has a reputation for clean family movies, therefore anytime Disney produces something questionable in the "family genre", people get upset.

3. This particular story has long been an innocent sort of fairy tale, and people are reacting adversely to it suddenly containing homosexuality... with likely probability it's been done on purpose as part of the gay political movement.

4. Why do we get LESS UPSET about TV shows depicting the same sin issues to an even greater degree?

Maybe because this particular story line was originally very innocent, and people feel an innocent story has been co-opted by gay politics.

Last edited:

Lady4Him

Feb 18, 2017
1. The homosexual political agenda has done more in the last decade to upend our culture than other particular sin issues depicted in movies... thus a strong reaction from people.

2. The movie is from Disney, which has a reputation for clean family movies, therefore anytime Disney produces something questionable in the "family genre", people get upset.

3. This particular story has long been an innocent sort of fairy tale, and people are reacting adversely to it suddenly containing homosexuality... with likely probability it's been done on purpose as part of the gay political movement.

4. Why do we get LESS UPSET about TV shows depicting the same sin issues to an even greater degree?

Maybe because the storyline was originally very innocent, and people feel an innocent story has been co-opted by gay politics.
Yeah I get that, I wasn't saying anything against the original story, perhaps I should've reworded that.

Lady4Him

Feb 18, 2017

I don't watch them myself. I used to watch them quite a bit, but the Lord began showing me how much evil is really in them.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Oh no, please tell me there's not homosexuality in the new Beauty and the Beast movie. My daughter and I loved the animated Disney version, and were looking forward to seeing this.

I try to teach my kids to use the apple test, because completely avoiding everything bad in life is unrealistic. What's the apple test? If you were hungry and your only apple had a bad spot on it, would it be ok to eat it? Yes- just cut off the bad spot. But if you had an apple that was mostly bad with one good spot, would it be ok to eat it? No- throw the entire thing away. This applies to choosing friends, movies, books, games, whatever. If the bad is small enough to ignore, and you can ignore it, its ok.

I watch criminal minds because of the good I get out of it. I see the heros who risk their lives to keep us safe. It really touches my heart how much they sacrifice. I see the dark side, the very dark side. And by seeing such contrast, I recognize how behavior starts out small and where it leads. And I want to be nothing like these evil people displayed before me! I do not want to be revengeful, self-centered, and spiritually filthy.

I want to know how criminals think so that I can better protect my family. I want to be able to recognize potentially dangerous people before it's too late so that I can get out of their path. I know warning signs to watch for in boys who will eventually date my daughter. I get good things out of the show. But I certainly do not take joy in seeing murders, even though I know they're fake. And I don't understand how just that part is entertaining to some people.

I dont see the good in watching demon possessed movies. They don't scare me, but I don't understand why some like being scared. And why play video games where you murder people and steal their cars? I know I like MARIO on Nintendo, and he squashes mushroom guys and Bowser, but it is not the same as realistic killing with blood squirting out. Yes, those who are attracted to evil things like that should not call themselves Christians.

I get rooting for the main character. When I watch nature shows, and a lion is catching a zebra, I think "Come on lion you can get em." But when a zebra is the main character I think "Go zebra, get away from that lion!" I get it, I really do, but. I don't get rooting for the main character when he is not on the side of good and is commiting evil. If that's the case, how can you not stop and question yourself?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
Why DO people like horror movies?I think they like to feel secure while the person In the movie scene Is going through.
Kind of sadistic.

Feb 18, 2017
Honestly, I am more worried about the Christian who judges what others are doing and thinking.

I can go and watch a movie like this and be entertained, Simple as that. I can dismiss the junk and just have a nice time.

It's the believer who can't see this and JUDGE this who have the real problem.

Feb 18, 2017
Abstain from all appearance of evil? It is amazing how we have lost the true meaning of this statement.

All evil is NOT sin. Evil is trying to make everybody think we don't sin. Evil is thinking we are sinning less than everybody else. Evil is judging everybody else by their sin. Evil is thinking we are a little bit better than the other person. Evil is quitting a sin, and then judging someone else by the sin we just quit.

Evil is ALL of our problem. The Lord Jesus Christ..............Died for ALL of our sin.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2016
Why DO people like horror movies?I think they like to feel secure while the person In the movie scene Is going through.
Kind of sadistic.
Yup. I'd say that is the case for every person who watches a horror flick. They are sadists.....all of them....even their pets are sadists....

D

Depleted

Basically, I know the difference between fiction and reality. Harry Potter isn't a real person. This not-real-person really couldn't raise a broomstick by saying Up correctly. The Ice Queen isn't a real person either. Aswan is neither real nor a person. Harold Flin is a nice man, but not real.

There's a joy in watching or reading fiction. Quite possibly because its not real, but we're will to suspend belief to read or watch it. Pretty cool imaginations.

Feb 18, 2017
Yup. I'd say that is the case for every person who watches a horror flick. They are sadists.....all of them....even their pets are sadists....
I am right in the middle of Making a very deep and meaningful post.........and you make me spit coffee all over the screen. AGAIN.

That was funny.

Lady4Him

Feb 18, 2017
I just want to know where we draw the line.

Feb 18, 2017
Basically, I know the difference between fiction and reality. Harry Potter isn't a real person. This not-real-person really couldn't raise a broomstick by saying Up correctly. The Ice Queen isn't a real person either. Aswan is neither real nor a person. Harold Flin is a nice man, but not real.

There's a joy in watching or reading fiction. Quite possibly because its not real, but we're will to suspend belief to read or watch it. Pretty cool imaginations.
I agree. By most peoples standards we are to stick our heads in the sand and not enjoy(rightly) anything.

Sing Kumbaya and be embarrassed when we pee..........this is the Way!

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Follow your own convictions and don't place them on others, is a good position to hold. This isn't a "we" issue, this is a "me" issue. What do you feel you should be doing? Do just that, but for some people the line is not the same. You may be okay with drinking a small glass of wine, but to others they want nothing to do with it. They cannot condemn you, and you neither them. Each must follow their own convictions within the liberty we all share.

Feb 18, 2017
Well we ain't going to draw the line for Hollywood. So draw the line from His mind for YOU. If YOU can't handle it......don't go.

It doesn't mean I can't handle it though. I can watch a lot of garbage and dismiss what I need to dismiss.....but there was one joke in there or one piece of truth I grabbed.

Last edited: