Adult people advice?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Sooo im 17 and im basically done with school it wont take long to finish at all. Not only that but i have a pretty decent job and my sister wants me to move in with her and get an apartment so that's the plan atm. What i want to know is pretty broad honestly, but if older or more responsible people could help with bank advice and maybe college stuff i dont need super specific stuff mainly baeic tips so I'm not being confused and stuff lol. Preciate any help i get and thank youuuu God bless.

T

Tinuviel

Do you have parents or people who know you who could give this advice? It might be helpful if the person knows you. I'm in the same position myself, so I won't hazard any advice ;). Go with God.

Aug 2, 2009
Save as much as you can. Put it in the bank. Choose a bank that is established and reputable. Stay away from Wells Fargo! (they scammed millions of customers out of their money). Put aside a small amount every paycheck for yourself. When you have enough of this small amount saved up, buy yourself something nice. Out of your paycheck you should have a portion of bills, savings for emergencies and future (house, kids), a little towards major purchases, and a little for yourself.

You should ideally have at least 6 months of living expenses saved up as your emergency fund in case you lose your job. It will take some time to save that much, but once you do, make sure you keep at least that much put away. You will also need funds for other "emergencies" like car repairs and/or unforseen expenses.

Good luck. I really wish someone had told me all this when I was younger.

p.s. Don't put more on your credit card than you can pay off every month! Otherwise the interest you owe will grow so fast that you may end up in bankruptcy before you can pay it off, and if you have bad credit from missed or late payments you will have a hard time getting a loan for a car or a house. Don't fall for the minimum payment trap. That's how they nail you with interest!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2009
Just to be clear, your take-home pay form each paycheck should be divided into these parts:

1. Bills (rent, utilities, tuition, car payment, car insurance, health insurance)

2. Living expenses (food and gas)

3. Savings (for future house, family nest egg, future kids' college tuition, and for emergencies like car repairs)

4. Spending money for yourself (you can just appoint a percentage of your paycheck and keep track of it instead of opening a separate account for this)

5. Investments (optional for now since you're just starting out) - CD's, Retirement account (IRA), mutual funds, brokerage account

Last edited:

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Thanks so far everything seems to be fairly helpful thanks and God bless any college crap anyone? Im so lost on this idek what to do lol

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Do you have parents or people who know you who could give this advice? It might be helpful if the person knows you. I'm in the same position myself, so I won't hazard any advice ;). Go with God.
Well i do have people i could talk to but they just tell me what they want me to do exactly for example my Mom says i should be an engineer but i think that sounds lame and boring lol

Y

Yahweh_is_gracious

Well i do have people i could talk to but they just tell me what they want me to do exactly for example my Mom says i should be an engineer but i think that sounds lame and boring lol
For the most part, it is boring, but it pays well enough that you can afford to do things that aren't boring. However, engineers have to take a LOT of math in school and other classes that use a LOT of math...and when you've graduated and are an engineer, you never do the math. Engineering studies are not easy, and if you stick with it, it is a LOT of homework.

I can give a bit of college advice since I've been in college since 1997:

Figure out what you like to do and what you're good at and pick a college major based on that. Many if not most college students change majors once or twice, and that's okay. For the first 2 years of college, almost everyone takes the same stuff anyhow, so the credits will transfer between programs.

Speaking of the first two years of college, you get a better quality education for those basic classes at a much cheaper price at a junior or community college, plus it's a nice transition from high school to college. Being 18 and walking into Chem 101 in a lecture hall with 500 students can be overwhelming for some students. If you get those 2 years done at a small college, you might have a good idea what your major will be, and when you get to a proper University, you're taking classes that are directly related to your major, not intro classes taught by graduate students who can't speak English.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
For the most part, it is boring, but it pays well enough that you can afford to do things that aren't boring. However, engineers have to take a LOT of math in school and other classes that use a LOT of math...and when you've graduated and are an engineer, you never do the math. Engineering studies are not easy, and if you stick with it, it is a LOT of homework.

I can give a bit of college advice since I've been in college since 1997:

Figure out what you like to do and what you're good at and pick a college major based on that. Many if not most college students change majors once or twice, and that's okay. For the first 2 years of college, almost everyone takes the same stuff anyhow, so the credits will transfer between programs.

Speaking of the first two years of college, you get a better quality education for those basic classes at a much cheaper price at a junior or community college, plus it's a nice transition from high school to college. Being 18 and walking into Chem 101 in a lecture hall with 500 students can be overwhelming for some students. If you get those 2 years done at a small college, you might have a good idea what your major will be, and when you get to a proper University, you're taking classes that are directly related to your major, not intro classes taught by graduate students who can't speak English.
Thanks and yea i know i am pretty good at math i just dont care for it and career wise i dont care much for money honestly i can be average and happy. I just want to do something useful and not just by the worlds standsrds but to glorify God and something i enjoy or at least can stand i dont want to do math i dont want to sit at a desk constantly typing stuff lol. No offence to people who like that stuff it's just not for me. I just want an enjoyable job that can, at the least, provide for me ,assuming i have a mid sized family just in case, and isn't completely useless in the grand scheme of things like i know how much time people spend working i don't want to waste it is all. And college helo is always appreciated i suck at making plans i tend to just wing it xD.

T

Tinuviel

Just to be clear, your take-home pay form each paycheck should be divided into these parts:

1. Bills (rent, utilities, tuition, car payment, car insurance, health insurance)

2. Living expenses (food and gas)

3. Savings (for future house, family nest egg, future kids' college tuition, and for emergencies like car repairs)

4. Spending money for yourself (you can just appoint a percentage of your paycheck and keep track of it instead of opening a separate account for this)

5. Investments (optional for now since you're just starting out) - CD's, Retirement account (IRA), mutual funds, brokerage account
And some to give back to God :)

D

Depleted

Sooo im 17 and im basically done with school it wont take long to finish at all. Not only that but i have a pretty decent job and my sister wants me to move in with her and get an apartment so that's the plan atm. What i want to know is pretty broad honestly, but if older or more responsible people could help with bank advice and maybe college stuff i dont need super specific stuff mainly baeic tips so I'm not being confused and stuff lol. Preciate any help i get and thank youuuu God bless.
Back in the olden days, I didn't even know I needed banking advice until my first pay check and I didn't have an account to put it into. (And then my first bill, and I realize no one taught me how to write a check. :eek:)

Back in those days, I had to go to a library to find out how. Now there is the Internet.

But here is the stuff I had to learn in a hurry:
-- Rent should never be more than 25% of your net pay. (Nowadays they say 33%, but you really want it 25%, because you need to save for those times when there is no paycheck.)

-- Yes, balance your checkbook once a month. It is tedious, boring, and frustrating, but it also tells you when you thought you paid the gas bill, but you accidentally paid the electric bill that amount. The electric company has no problems with you giving more than they asked, but the gas company gets perturbed when you didn't pay enough.

-- Cooking -- 375 for one hour! (That works for chicken legs, chicken breast, and pork chops, most of the time. At least you won't die from food poisoning, but got to mention, the chicken breast may be over done, so drier than a bone. lol) Also works for a medium sized baked potato.

-- You want one basic cook book, one oven thermometer, measuring cups, measuring spoons, one cast iron pan well seasoned (because when something burns, you really want to not worry about how hard you scrub it), basic pots and pans (preferably a nice set, so you don't have to keep buying a new set every 5-20 years and they usually sell them together), sharp knives that can be resharpened, (stainless steel and enamel knives cannot be resharpened), the doohickey that sharpens knives, at least 8 spoons, forks and knives for flatware, and a full serving for plates and cups.

-- Pay bills on time. Pay rent on time. 10% for God (tithe or give to others, doesn't matter which), and 10% for you in case of emergency.

-- Have fun! That one is important, because these are the memories I have now.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Back in the olden days, I didn't even know I needed banking advice until my first pay check and I didn't have an account to put it into. (And then my first bill, and I realize no one taught me how to write a check. :eek:)

Back in those days, I had to go to a library to find out how. Now there is the Internet.

But here is the stuff I had to learn in a hurry:
-- Rent should never be more than 25% of your net pay. (Nowadays they say 33%, but you really want it 25%, because you need to save for those times when there is no paycheck.)

-- Yes, balance your checkbook once a month. It is tedious, boring, and frustrating, but it also tells you when you thought you paid the gas bill, but you accidentally paid the electric bill that amount. The electric company has no problems with you giving more than they asked, but the gas company gets perturbed when you didn't pay enough.

-- Cooking -- 375 for one hour! (That works for chicken legs, chicken breast, and pork chops, most of the time. At least you won't die from food poisoning, but got to mention, the chicken breast may be over done, so drier than a bone. lol) Also works for a medium sized baked potato.

-- You want one basic cook book, one oven thermometer, measuring cups, measuring spoons, one cast iron pan well seasoned (because when something burns, you really want to not worry about how hard you scrub it), basic pots and pans (preferably a nice set, so you don't have to keep buying a new set every 5-20 years and they usually sell them together), sharp knives that can be resharpened, (stainless steel and enamel knives cannot be resharpened), the doohickey that sharpens knives, at least 8 spoons, forks and knives for flatware, and a full serving for plates and cups.

-- Pay bills on time. Pay rent on time. 10% for God (tithe or give to others, doesn't matter which), and 10% for you in case of emergency.

-- Have fun! That one is important, because these are the memories I have now.
Cooking is light work i got 5 sisters i know how to cook xD. And i don't think the tithe is really a thing like...it's complicated not gonna get into it now anyway i give money it's just not 10% and the rent thing me and my sister are splitting it and ill be paying about $500 a monthish and i make about $280 a check so about $1120 a month is that good? Or no? I mean thats almost half but idk. And i can go without money for myself or a pretty small amount so i dont think that matters much. Annnnnnnddddd how much is enough monthly for groceries? I thought $250? Me and my sister might split it so that should be enough right? Then again there's only two of us and we will be working alllll the time basically so like i dont know how to adult.....

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Adulting is about 35% what you planned, 35% things happening that you didn't plan on and 45% how you react to the unexpected things. Yes I know that adds up to more than 100%, so some of the stuff you planned might have to be foregone. That doesn't mean you shouldn't plan - by all means do make plans for your life - but if things happen that interfere with your plans, don't give up. Roll with it instead.

All the best things in my life have caught me by surprise.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Adulting is about 35% what you planned, 35% things happening that you didn't plan on and 45% how you react to the unexpected things. Yes I know that adds up to more than 100%, so some of the stuff you planned might have to be foregone. That doesn't mean you shouldn't plan - by all means do make plans for your life - but if things happen that interfere with your plans, don't give up. Roll with it instead.

All the best things in my life have caught me by surprise.
Yea that makes sense but that's all faith once it deals with anything future or not expected so im not too worried just wanna have a decent head knowledge of things i hsve to do is all thank you.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Two more things...

1. You will probably never feel like "Okay, I have made it, I am now an adult." There is no magical point at which you turn a corner in your life and become an adult. We're all just making this life up as we go. Some do better than others, but we're all just doing the best we can. You are an adult when you are paying your own bills I guess, but you will probably never feel like you are officially an adult now.

2. Start a retirement fund now. I recommend a Roth IRA because the tax man doesn't take a big bite out of it when you retire, but that's your choice. Even if you just start a 401k going, start it now. The later you start, the more meager your golden years will be.

I wish somebody had told me that when I was a teenager. My retirement will not be completely destitute, but it will probably be more meager than I could wish.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
And the obligatory xkcd comics:

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Two more things...

1. You will probably never feel like "Okay, I have made it, I am now an adult." There is no magical point at which you turn a corner in your life and become an adult. We're all just making this life up as we go. Some do better than others, but we're all just doing the best we can. You are an adult when you are paying your own bills I guess, but you will probably never feel like you are officially an adult now.

2. Start a retirement fund now. I recommend a Roth IRA because the tax man doesn't take a big bite out of it when you retire, but that's your choice. Even if you just start a 401k going, start it now. The later you start, the more meager your golden years will be.

I wish somebody had told me that when I was a teenager. My retirement will not be completely destitute, but it will probably be more meager than I could wish.
Well being an adult isn't just about having a job or bills being an adult for me would becoming a man and sadly i have a long way to go to get there. Thanks for the advice man I'm sure it will help.

L

LandryM

One of the best things I did when I started working and got a job was to put a portion of every paycheck into a savings account. And I also use Stash to invest and get a higher interest rate on my savings. I think I made like $4 in 4 months just from stashing $25 from each paycheck.

L

LandryM

As for college, try not to freak out about it. I have no idea why we are expected to know what our career should be at 17-18 years old. I'm 22 and spent 5 years in college and now I have completely changed my mind about my career. Got into my job and just didn't like it. Now I work in a call center for an insurance company and like it way more. My advice is start at a community college and get an associates by doing all your general ed. requirements. Then after you have some more experience in the college scene, you can start to feel out what you want to specialize in and start taking those courses. Take advantage of electives to get an idea of what you like and have more interest in. Once you have an associates, you can go to a University and take mostly degree-related courses since you have your general ed out of the way already. And if you change your mind and want to switch majors, don't sweat it. You have your whole life ahead of you. No reason to think you have to make up your mind at 17. Plenty of 50 year old go back to college for something brand new. It is by no means off limits to explore something new.