Advent Activities

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I found this great advent of kindness calendar. Are there other things you would add to this list?
What are other ways, big or small, that you can give to your neighbours/community/friends/family?
78817510_2717480401646494_2993331316113539072_o.jpg

E

EliBeth

Hello to you, @laughingheart! 🙂 I've seen your great posts around the forum, but don't think I've ever actually engaged with you. This was another great one! There were a couple of things the advent calendar picture reminded me that I need to be doing.

One thing I would add to the list, and it's something I hope to do this month, is to visit the patients at a Nursing Home. You don't even have to know any of the residents personally. You could really, truly make someone's day by just showing up and giving them a little attention. You could read some in a book (my preference is the Bible😊), sing a song or two and invite them to sing along (you could have printed lyrics), carry a couple of coloring books and crayons...there are so many things you could do!

My favs (ones that stood out to me) were probably #s 9 & 23. I remember one year when I was a child we lived in the city and my Dad got McDonalds gift cards for the trash picker-upper men ("sanitation crew" sounds better) whose route we were on. Anyway, it was kind of a big eyeopener to me that everyone has value and should be appreciated.
Another thing my Dad taught me was leaving secret Shmily notes for people we love to find. Shmily stand for See How Much I Love You.

I hope your December is filled to the brim with joy and cheer! ☃️🕯️✝️

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Hello to you, @laughingheart! 🙂 I've seen your great posts around the forum, but don't think I've ever actually engaged with you. This was another great one! There were a couple of things the advent calendar picture reminded me that I need to be doing.

One thing I would add to the list, and it's something I hope to do this month, is to visit the patients at a Nursing Home. You don't even have to know any of the residents personally. You could really, truly make someone's day by just showing up and giving them a little attention. You could read some in a book (my preference is the Bible😊), sing a song or two and invite them to sing along (you could have printed lyrics), carry a couple of coloring books and crayons...there are so many things you could do!

My favs (ones that stood out to me) were probably #s 9 & 23. I remember one year when I was a child we lived in the city and my Dad got McDonalds gift cards for the trash picker-upper men ("sanitation crew" sounds better) whose route we were on. Anyway, it was kind of a big eyeopener to me that everyone has value and should be appreciated.
Another thing my Dad taught me was leaving secret Shmily notes for people we love to find. Shmily stand for See How Much I Love You.

It is so nice to meet you EliBeth. I love your ideas. There used to be a local group that would get together on a Sunday afternoon and sing during their church service. It was a nice time. It sounds like your dad was a great example and a special man. What a blessing to have such a father.
Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your ideas.

E

EliBeth

Yes, he has taught me quite a bit.
You're so welcome, laughingheart!

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
Thanks for your post. May we be blessed with solemnity
and reverent peace in this season of preparation of the
coming of our Lord Jesus.

M

MegMarch

Some friends, my son, and I have sang Christmas carols at a retirement home for the past couple of years. It is always hilarious, and I met an older lady who is a believer. I went back to visit her in hopes of cheering her spirit during the holidays. I think I was more blessed than she was as she would tell me stories about her boyfriend in the home. :ROFL:

M

MegMarch

Some friends, my son, and I have sang Christmas carols at a retirement home for the past couple of years. It is always hilarious, and I met an older lady who is a believer. I went back to visit her in hopes of cheering her spirit during the holidays. I think I was more blessed than she was as she would tell me stories about her boyfriend in the home. :ROFL:
*have sung

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Advent activities... I will be opening a few more doors in my Advent Calendar room.

Yeah, a whole room dedicated to my Advent Calendar. See I have this weird friend who got me a strange gift...

It could be worse though. It could ALWAYS be worse. One year this other weird friend got me a different kind of Advent calendar.

What a sugar-holic nightmare that was! I had to get a blender and rig up a blend-and-chug apparatus to get over the 11:59:59 barrier.