Advent, Do You Celebrate It?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ThereRoseaLamb

Well-known member
Jan 17, 2023
9,232
5,157
113
I know we have a big usually over Christmas and if it should be celebrated. In one of the threads @Lynx mentioned that Christmas is commercialized because we drive it with consumerism. Not his exact words but pretty sure that was his point. My parents are both unwell this year and aren't able to do a big Christmas like they did in years past and I don't have the heart for it.

I was watching a Youtube video where she was talking about Advent and preparing our hearts for when Christ came as a baby to earth. I didn't celebrate this growing up. I know a candle is lit each Sunday before Christmas day. Does anyone else celebrate Advent or any other traditions for the season and if so what are they?
 
Yes amen.. He came died for the worlds sin... do we not sing praise Him daily? Why? He came died for the worlds sin. To know 1 day is like a thousand years and a thousand years ilke one day. So to think for them all the angels .. what all stopped shouting praising 3 days later? Don't agree with the day? Praise GOD do something else for Him... should do this everyday . its not the correct day .. what matters to me.. is when I think about that day.... how can I not praise HIM. Man did not make the days He did. Do you know how many find Christ on Xmas? Yeah that does not get shared.
 
I know we have a big usually over Christmas and if it should be celebrated. In one of the threads @Lynx mentioned that Christmas is commercialized because we drive it with consumerism. Not his exact words but pretty sure that was his point. My parents are both unwell this year and aren't able to do a big Christmas like they did in years past and I don't have the heart for it.

I was watching a Youtube video where she was talking about Advent and preparing our hearts for when Christ came as a baby to earth. I didn't celebrate this growing up. I know a candle is lit each Sunday before Christmas day. Does anyone else celebrate Advent or any other traditions for the season and if so what are they?

never been an Advent person, but if anyone wants to, go for it?

always great to worship. no matter how anyone does it..
 
  • Like
Reactions: BillG and Dino246
I don't make a habit of celebrating made up holidays, every day is Jesus day for me, but I do like all the pretty lights and music.

Maybe I'll check out an Orthodox church this year, they seem much more reverential and on point.


 
I don't make a habit of celebrating made up holidays, every day is Jesus day for me, but I do like all the pretty lights and music.

Maybe I'll check out an Orthodox church this year, they seem much more reverential and on point.




Beautiful music, thank you for sharing.
 
I tend to find a new devotional for the Advent Season every year, so I have something read and think about. This year I found one with C.S. Lewis quotes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
I tend to find a new devotional for the Advent Season every year, so I have something read and think about. This year I found one with C.S. Lewis quotes.

that will be a good one! lewis has some good quotes!
 
I tend to find a new devotional for the Advent Season every year, so I have something read and think about. This year I found one with C.S. Lewis quotes.

Humm I will have to look that up! That was my grandmothers favorite writer.
 
never been an Advent person, but if anyone wants to, go for it?

always great to worship. no matter how anyone does it..

I agree, I have been looking for a way to make the season more Christ focused. More peaceful and less stressful.
 
  • Like
Reactions: gb9
I know we have a big usually over Christmas and if it should be celebrated. In one of the threads @Lynx mentioned that Christmas is commercialized because we drive it with consumerism. Not his exact words but pretty sure that was his point. My parents are both unwell this year and aren't able to do a big Christmas like they did in years past and I don't have the heart for it.

I was watching a Youtube video where she was talking about Advent and preparing our hearts for when Christ came as a baby to earth. I didn't celebrate this growing up. I know a candle is lit each Sunday before Christmas day. Does anyone else celebrate Advent or any other traditions for the season and if so what are they?

I hope your parents have had long and happy lives.
The reason to celebrate the advent season is because it begins the reason for having hope of eternal happy life in heaven.
My parents taught me to die with grace and considered it a great blessing that they died in their own home.
Because their deaths were not unexpected but rather were overdue considering they were in their 90s,
every time I visited them from out of state I realized it might be the last time and considered it a blessing when they passed
without experiencing pain or senility. The size of the celebration does not matter as long as one's heart is prepared.
(Yes, my dad and I were both Boy Scouts and Christians :^)
I am celebrating Christmas with Scripture and song on the Mining Music for Biblical Nuggets thread if you care to join me.
:love:
 
I know we have a big usually over Christmas and if it should be celebrated. In one of the threads @Lynx mentioned that Christmas is commercialized because we drive it with consumerism. Not his exact words but pretty sure that was his point. My parents are both unwell this year and aren't able to do a big Christmas like they did in years past and I don't have the heart for it.

I was watching a Youtube video where she was talking about Advent and preparing our hearts for when Christ came as a baby to earth. I didn't celebrate this growing up. I know a candle is lit each Sunday before Christmas day. Does anyone else celebrate Advent or any other traditions for the season and if so what are they?

Me, I celebrate the resurrection, resurrected Jesus daily. Not Christmas, not new years, not Easter, not Halloween, not even my birthday. And I am not religious at all. I believe God, I see from God and learn new from God whenever I get it wrong, and I have gotten it wrong many a times Phil 3:11-15. God has and remains faithful patiently, Wow woe is me Isaiah 6:1-7
The power for the new life offered to all is in the risen Son Jesus for me to be at rest. Standing in trust to God even in any and all troubles I get along the way. Not having to know how, why or when anymore, taken, taking all thought captive the obediende of Christ. 2 Cor 10
 
Me, I celebrate the resurrection, resurrected Jesus daily. Not Christmas, not new years, not Easter, not Halloween, not even my birthday. And I am not religious at all. I believe God, I see from God and learn new from God whenever I get it wrong, and I have gotten it wrong many a times Phil 3:11-15. God has and remains faithful patiently, Wow woe is me Isaiah 6:1-7
The power for the new life offered to all is in the risen Son Jesus for me to be at rest. Standing in trust to God even in any and all troubles I get along the way. Not having to know how, why or when anymore, taken, taking all thought captive the obediende of Christ. 2 Cor 10



My Comment:
"advent" was established by Rome, not Jesus Christ. I chose to follow HIM and HIM only.
Jesus and the 12, observed what are called "Jewish" days, but they are God's Holy Sabbaths.

I have not observed xmas or easter since 1968, both come from paganism and or Rome, which the 40,000 flavors of "Christianity" do observe.

Is there even one scripture in the WORD showing the day Christ was born is to be kept as a holiday? One scripture showing even just one of the follower of Christ kept it?
 
The flesh takes truth and turns it into profit as even when Jesus entered the Temple then and those there, offended and worried. Jesus was making a whip to whip them. He does not have to whip anyone. they knew and to this day know what they do. Flesh first birth nature is all that is left to turn to God and throw in selfishness to God and have compassion for all.
I see that be what the Son, Jesus did, went to the cross willingly., amazing.
He never had to do that, he is perfect the only perfect flesh too ever please Father. The Second Adam tat paved the way to be given new life in his risen Life to serve God securely as well.. Seeing self as dead daily to the first born flesh nature, alive to Father in Father's Spirit and Truth given them to lead them new in love and mercy to all., te same as Son did for all first
1 John 2:1-27 God simply loves us all, has continued this from day one of the fall of Adam te first.
Thank you Father, Psalm 100:4, 103:12