Advice needed on newly remarried with adult children

• Thread starter happilyeverafter
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

happilyeverafter

I am newly remarried and have adult children, well they are 21 & 22 and my 22yr old has 3 boys. My new husband has a 13yr old we get every other weekend. I have no problem with the 13yr old, I mean, he is 13 and all that goes along with that, but I have adapted to him and his ways and we get along pretty well. What I need advice about is that my husband thinks that for my children to come over, he has to ok it and it has to be known about in advance, like more than 3 days in advance. And he has stated that my grandchildren can not come for over night visits of more than one night. He thinks that its unusual that my daughter would need to come over more than once a week. I tell him that his son comes for overnight visits every other week and he says its different because he is a 13yr old kid and that it is "court ordered" and I knew about it before we were married. And that is true, I did know, and I honestly have no problem with him coming and staying. I was simply trying to help him to understand how I felt about my children & grandchildren. He knew I had children & grandchildren too, but he says they adults and therefore much different than his 13yr old. We are both Christians and attend church regularly, and he tells me that if I don't approve when people come over with him that I am being a disrespectful wife. But I don't feel I should have to tell my daughter she can't come over - it is my house too, right? I do love my husband and this is the ONLY area we seem to have problems with. We have gone to a christian counselor but only twice and it was months apart. He gave us a book to read "Women Need Love. Men Need Respect" by Emerson Eggerichs, which is where & when my husband started telling me I was being a disrespectful wife. (If anyone else has read this book, please comment what you think about it.) So, now I am trying to figure out how to solve this one, but VERY HUGE problem in my new marriage in a fair christian way. Please any help/advice is very much appreciated.

A

Aqua_Girl09

personally. . . .i would be LIVID. my "new" husband would see a whole different side of me. >_< my children are going to come to my house WHENEVER i want to see them! (ya know when I have kids) I wish my step dad WOULD tell my mom some crap like that. I'd come over ALL the time just to piss him off! (that being said I don't think its a good idea to tell your kids about this situation if you can help it cause it might cause resentment.)

they're not judging parents or co-workers, or bosses. they're your KIDS. if he can't understand that he needs to get counseling or something.

M

MelissaSky

he tells you, you are being a disrespectful wife?...that just sounds odd to me...i mean, can they at least come over every few weeks/months.. and i dont know, it kind of sounds like he is using that book to manipulate you into being "a respectful wife"

D

dashadow

It's sad to hear of your predicament. Last night, my wife and I had a very long and tense conversation about the differences we have in decision making in our home. I feel she's excessively controlling when it comes to spending. When she wants to buy something it's fine. If I want to buy something or spend money she threatens divorce. :)

I feel we're both somewhat stubborn, but she is unbending. So I've had to come up with creative ways to try and keep the peace and perserve the marriage, for both our sakes and especially for the sake of the children.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably just go visit my children and grandchildren. I suspect your children already know about your dilemma. And even if they don't, they probably will soon enough. So it's best to explain it to them and tell them you're putting the matter in God's hands. Therefore, you should encourage them not to resent your husband. But of course, it's only human for them to be upset.

Anyway, I think if you take that approach, you allow the Lord to convict your husband of his unfairness. I suppose books and counseling might help. But Love, patience, prayer and the power of God are sure to work wonders.

H

HumbleMut

This is a tough situation. You say that you are newly remarried , but do not say for how long.
Your husband may need some time to get to know and appreciate your children. Depending on the situation, perhaps your grandchildren will end up eventually looking to him as their grandfather. It may take time for his heart to soften. It sounds like everything else is good, so please do not despair.
He may quote that you need to respect him, this is true, however he must respect you and your feelings as well :
Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
With love, respect is always present.

A

Ariel82

22 with 3 boys... how old would those kids be and how old was your daughter when she had the first one?

from the sound of it your husband wants to spend time with you and doesn't seem to be too fond of kids at all, not even his own.

personally I would make sure to spend alone time with him when possible and spend time with the grandkids and your kids on the weekends or during the workday when your husband isn't home.

sometimes after come home from work you just want to relax with your spouse and not worry about what the kids are doing.

how often does your daughter want you to keep her kids overnight and why doesn't she keep them herself?

if she is going one trip why doesn't she take them with her?
if she works at night then I could see you keeping them and would talk to your new husband about it.

however, it seems strange that he didn't know how much time your kids and grandkids spent at your house before you both got married.

there is alot about the situation we don't know because we don't know your family and only hear your side of the story.

I personally see nothing wrong with your daughter coming by and spending a few hours every day with you.

However, I would be annoyed if the only reason she came by was to drop off her kids or ask for money or if she spent every waking moment there, because that to me would be disrespecting of both you and your husband's time together.