Advice on discovering myself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CamilaAy

Aug 7, 2016
So, my school year just finished and now that I'm having so much time to spend thinking the thoughts that I usually like to avoid, I noticed that my teen years is the time to discover my passions, set out the bases for my relationship with God, discover new things about me, try and shape myself, but I'm having so much of a struggle with that, I'm feeling like I don't belong where I am now, and there are so many things I want to learn, I would love to learn more about who I am and unlock my full potential for God,

Hope any of you can give me some tips for that, thank you in advance

theanointedwinner

Nov 6, 2018
no one can perfectly understand themselves, because in order to do that, they would have to know how each and every brain cells are arranged, and connected, and how it works down to every last detail, which is impossible. (that's my disclaimer)

more realistically, I'll give you tips on maximizing the likelihood of successfully finding yourself.

the effectiveness of introspection (observation of yourself) depends on how well you learn about your own tendencies, where I believe there are the 3 main ones,

- how you best relax (physiological and sensory recovery)

- the likelihood of self-sabotage (unfortunately this happens, and it would be unrealistic to deny such possibility)

and
- if we can compare productivity to trying to shoot a target, how can we set the target in such a way that we'd naturally aim accurately at the target with the greatest of ease

and I can forsee that the "target" analogy would need to be tweaked, because life is dynamic and ever-changing, and balance is most likely required.

I believe that everyone is unique, we are still searching, but I believe these tips should help us get much closer, unless if we find a more practical advice than what I have listed, I would gladly welcome those as well

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
What do you mean by find yourself? I don't really understand people when they say that. If you mean to learn about how you work unfortunately i can't help you there, i have no idea how i even work half the time. We all are super complicated already, then you add the Holy Spirit and we are even more complex and how we react to different situations can seem unpredictable. I don't get why I've done things in the past or why I do some things in the present. Sometimes i understand other people more then i understand myself so maybe you should ask some people close to you idk. If you want to reach your full potential for Christ then you'd want to know him as intimately as possible so you would pray and read the word and just spend time with Him. I'm not where i want to be with my relationship with God, I'm not even where i should be. One thing that has helped though is being honest with Him, sometimes we censor ourselves or try to clean ourselves before we come to God but that's not how we should do things. If you have insecurities, sins, doubts, passions, or anything else just let Him know good bad or ugly. Ask God about what He wants you to do it could be sonething like working at walmart to being a pastor but whatever it is do it. Sometimes you won't like it, sonetimes it's gonna seem hard possibly, or maybe it will seem too easy or simple but if it's what He wants it's what you need to do. I struggle with this because what i believe He's calling me to is extremely difficult to even prepare for especially with my problems. It's going to cost me a great deal and i have no idea when it will happen but i have to do it cuz it's what He wants me to do, not that it makes me miserable I think it's meaningful and potentially even exciting but it's also really scary at times. I would pray for guidance and the Holy Spirit those two things will help you soo much by themselves. Hope this is somehow useful God bless.

theanointedwinner

Nov 6, 2018
in short, we want to help, and we wish that we can help, but we can only give our best help (with interesting attempts) to a limit, because in the end, your guess is as good as mine

right, @LightBright?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
So, my school year just finished and now that I'm having so much time to spend thinking the thoughts that I usually like to avoid, I noticed that my teen years is the time to discover my passions, set out the bases for my relationship with God, discover new things about me, try and shape myself, but I'm having so much of a struggle with that, I'm feeling like I don't belong where I am now, and there are so many things I want to learn, I would love to learn more about who I am and unlock my full potential for God,

Keep in mind life is q journey, a process. People are perpetually changing, growing, learning. You may find things you enjoy now change later and things you never thought about you'll learn to love.
And as a teen it's pretty normal to feel lost. Hormones are going crazy and that has a lot of effect on you.
Spend the rest of your life learning about yourself and never stop.

But one important thing is to not avoid thinking on hard things. All that does is prolong problems, and may even make them worse. Confront things head on and you'll feel better in the long run.
People who hide from or avoid issues also drag them behind them everywhere they go. And onto everyone they meet. So be better to yourself and to those you care about and don't do that.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

Stop pulling up on your boot straps and walk in the Spirit Romans 8 and II Peter 1