against Grace Only preaching

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
If Jesus gives us his grace freely, why does Peter say that we must grow in grace?

And how do we grow our grace?
1) By asking God, in Christ's name.

2) By giving/showing grace to others.

3) Philippians 3
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

4) Hebrews 6
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection
; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

5) 1 Peter 2
3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

But, really? It depends on one's "preferred cruising altitude." ;)

Or?

How much one "works the ground", in one's own "garden." :)

TooFastTurtle

Apr 10, 2019
Yep. Most think they need to park their brains when they become "Christians." This is why so many are lost in out of context "Christian" beliefs and balk when presented with truth. As Peter said, grow in grace AND knowledge, 2 Peter 3:18. 2 Peter 1:5 as well, and this knowledge is not verses out of context as many of the non-Reformed practice in a simpleton-esque belief system.
Not saying this to be a wiseguy, but wasn't it God who just decreed most Christians to park their brains? That is the issue I see whenever someone Reformed says something about either the world sinning, another Christian sinning, or in general rebuking others is that its all decreed by God, whatever sin they did or false doctrine they had. Then again you could say the rebuking was also decreed by God. To me all this just makes it seem like a pointless theatre where God is playing a chess game and playing both sides, for and against Himself.

Wasn't it God who decreed all that comes to pass? So why do I have to study anything? Because God decrees the ends and the means? I will refuse to do anything, then claim God decreed it. The reason I put it like that is to prove a point, that point is: Don't you believe there are certain concerns with the doctrine that God decrees everything? Such as people slacking in evangelism, which we do see, the Reformed are outnumbered and outdone when it comes to reaching people, they are active in debates and apologetics but hard to find on the mission field. The few that I know that have gone to Papua New Guinea for example, went working side by side with charismatics. Lucky for us all, the Reformed have admitted this and are actually increasing their evangelism efforts from what I have heard, so good job for that, nice to see that change again, I know in the 1800s the Reformed were some of the biggest evangelists.

Not to say you don't evangelize, just highlighting to the readers my concerns with this theology, if taken very seriously to its logical extreme.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Not saying this to be a wiseguy, but wasn't it God who just decreed most Christians to park their brains? That is the issue I see whenever someone Reformed says something about either the world sinning, another Christian sinning, or in general rebuking others is that its all decreed by God, whatever sin they did or false doctrine they had. Then again you could say the rebuking was also decreed by God. To me all this just makes it seem like a pointless theatre where God is playing a chess game and playing both sides, for and against Himself.

Wasn't it God who decreed all that comes to pass? So why do I have to study anything? Because God decrees the ends and the means? I will refuse to do anything, then claim God decreed it. The reason I put it like that is to prove a point, that point is: Don't you believe there are certain concerns with the doctrine that God decrees everything? Such as people slacking in evangelism, which we do see, the Reformed are outnumbered and outdone when it comes to reaching people, they are active in debates and apologetics but hard to find on the mission field. The few that I know that have gone to Papua New Guinea for example, went working side by side with charismatics. Lucky for us all, the Reformed have admitted this and are actually increasing their evangelism efforts from what I have heard, so good job for that, nice to see that change again, I know in the 1800s the Reformed were some of the biggest evangelists.

Not to say you don't evangelize, just highlighting to the readers my concerns with this theology, if taken very seriously to its logical extreme.
what the readers should be concerned about is you judeaizers pushing the lie of keeping the Law and the jewish Sabbath to properly serve the Lord.

TooFastTurtle

Apr 10, 2019
what the readers should be concerned about is you judeaizers pushing the lie of keeping the Law and the jewish Sabbath to properly serve the Lord.
You take me for someone else, I do not push that at all. I am a new covenant type of person ;)

Colossians 2:16 seals it for me, no required holidays for Christians.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy

Yeah? I'll have to agree with ya TFT.
When one starts "appyling" Hebrews 6:1?
It does "feel" like one is "playing chess with God."
But, are ya sure it's God?
Are you "testing" the spirits?

Of course, it's in everyones nature to ALWAYS AND RELENTLESSLY take everything pertaining to God's "plan of salvation" to "it's logical conclusionary extreme."
Ain't it?
(The Socinians held to a rationalistic approach to Scripture and to faith. This philosophical approach, especially in regard to biblical doctrine, declares that all religious matters must be fully reconcilable with human reason, and that theological matters pertaining to the nature of God cannot be beyond the finite understanding of the human mind.)

Problem with this, is what is one bartering off, when taking off on such a "logical" path? :unsure:

Proverbs 3
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. (logical WON'T fit)
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Jesus says, For God so loved the world that whoever keeps the sabbath shall be saved. Oh wait, no He didn’t.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Not my day to feed swine. :censored:
So then you’re refusing to work. Hypocrisy at its finest. Duly noted. 😆

On a sidenote, I wear insults from worker bees as a badge of honor so please keep them coming. 😎

Dec 28, 2016

Pretty much a bunch of disdain in the above, with false assertions, straw men intending to demean others with a lot of ignorance concerning RT. Nothing gracious or Christ honoring.

TooFastTurtle

Apr 10, 2019
Pretty much a bunch of disdain in the above, with false assertions, straw men intending to demean others with a lot of ignorance concerning RT. Nothing gracious or Christ honoring.
Yet you did not correct me in any of it, or provide any answer to the concerns raised.

You are also blind to your own words and deeds, as this post is just doing that to me, demeaning and you are talking down to me. Nothing gracious or Christ honoring. ;)

Matthew55

Dec 29, 2018
Give me what it means biblically in your mind first and we can go from there.
I would think if Jesus offers us grace, it would be 100% of he has to offer us. Peter seems to say that we can grow our grace. IOW it starts small and grows as we use it to be more like Christ and what he did.

So what do you think. See 2 Peter 3:18 and tell me what you think "grow in grace" means?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I would think if Jesus offers us grace, it would be 100% of he has to offer us. Peter seems to say that we can grow our grace. IOW it starts small and grows as we use it to be more like Christ and what he did.

So what do you think. See 2 Peter 3:18 and tell me what you think "grow in grace" means?
My 2 cents. It looks like growing in grace is knowing the Lord more through His word. Some fall away from grace, forgetting what saved them in the first place.

17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Mar 23, 2016
Peter does not say that we can grow "our" grace. Peter instructs us to grow in God's grace.

God's grace is beyond our comprehension and we will never understand the fullness of God's grace in this lifetime, nor will we ever reach the end of it ... no matter how much we "grow" in God's grace.

Look at the opening verses of 2 Peter. In vs 2 of chapter 1, Peter says grace and peace be multiplied unto you.

Every single letter written by Paul begins and ends with with a salutation which includes grace:

Rom 1:7, Rom 16:24;
1 Cor 1:3, 1 Cor 16:23;
2 Cor 1:2, 2 Cor 13:14;
Gal 1:3, Gal 6:18;
Eph 1:2, Eph 6:24;
Phil 1:2, Phil 4:23;
Col 1:2, Col 4:18;
1 Thess 1:1, 1 Thess 5:28;
2 Thess 1:2, 2 Thess 3:18;
1 Tim 1:2; 1 Tim 6:21;
2 Tim 1:2; 2 Tim 4:22;
Titus 1:4, Titus 3:15;
Phmn 1:3, Phmn 1:25

I believe there is more to God's grace than we allow and (according to Titus 2:11-12) grace is a much more powerful teacher than the law ever was.

Just like every other good thing God would have us know, the adversary has perverted the understanding of the grace of God to the point where some people believe God's grace is a "license to sin" and that is a lie from the pit. God's grace is a blessed gift given to us and we are encouraged in God's Word to learn about and know God's grace.

Matthew55

Dec 29, 2018
My 2 cents. It looks like growing in grace is knowing the Lord more through His word. Some fall away from grace, forgetting what saved them in the first place.

17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Do you seriously believe we can lose the grace of God, or can we put it this way: Grace is always available to us, but we must access it and exercise it or we can find ourselves going through false motions, using our own wisdom, rather than using the grace of God and growing spiritually towards eternal life.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Do you seriously believe we can lose the grace of God, or can we put it this way: Grace is always available to us, but we must access it and exercise it or we can find ourselves going through false motions, using our own wisdom, rather than using the grace of God and growing spiritually towards eternal life.
Can’t lose it no, but fall away from? Yes, neglecting it’s power.