AIONIOS: Eternal, Everlasting or Mistranslation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

See_KING_Truth

Can anybody shed some light on this Greek word that has been translated in English to mean: eternal, everlasting, forever? Does eternal in our KVJ bible really mean without end? Or does this word "aionios", from the origional Greek text, refer to an "age" or a period of time?

S

See_KING_Truth

If this is so, then is there a different word used to describe eternal God or everlasting God in these texts, that does literally translate to eternal?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2011
If this is so, then is there a different word used to describe eternal God or everlasting God in these texts, that does literally translate to eternal?

I just posted an article on this very thing a couple of weeks ago,
It was an exelent study on this word.

There is a different definition of the word Eternal when it speaks of God, or
the Godhead. But only once that I know of. Rom.1:20

ah-id'-ee-os
From G104; everduring (forward and backward, or foward only): - eternal, everlasting.

It was not received very well.

Blessings

S

See_KING_Truth

I have found that the Greek root word "aion" means "age" and the the suffix "ios" means "pertaining to" that would mean that "aionios" literally means "pertaining to an age"

So if this is the case, then the eternal God could be refered to by "aionios", because He is God Almighty and He can be connected to or "pertain to" any "age" that He creates if He choses.

Oct 12, 2011
I have found that the Greek root word "aion" means "age" and the the suffix "ios" means "pertaining to" that would mean that "aionios" literally means "pertaining to an age"

So if this is the case, then the eternal God could be refered to by "aionios", because He is God Almighty and He can be connected to or "pertain to" any "age" that He creates if He choses.

Yes, He is the God of All Ages.

This is the link to this study if you want to check it out,
It's very indepth.

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/35808-aion-aionios-endless-torment.html

Blessings

S

See_KING_Truth

Yes, He is the God of All Ages.

This is the link to this study if you want to check it out,
It's very indepth.

http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/35808-aion-aionios-endless-torment.html

Blessings
I even searched for an existing thread using the word aionios, but nothing came up.....I wouldn't have bothered starting a new one had I known that existed.

I have been doing some very in depth studying lately and I trust that the Holy Spirit will aid me in my studies; rightly dividing the word of truth, outside of the known truth contained in scripture. So if this is a bunch of lies, it will be exposed in the light.

S

See_KING_Truth

I even searched for an existing thread using the word aionios, but nothing came up.....I wouldn't have bothered starting a new one had I known that existed.

I have been doing some very in depth studying lately and I trust that the Holy Spirit will aid me in my studies; rightly dividing the word of truth, outside of the known truth contained in scripture. So if this is a bunch of lies, it will be exposed in the light.
I must have mispelled it or something because I just searched it again and about 10 threads came up. lol OOPS!

Oct 12, 2011
I must have mispelled it or something because I just searched it again and about 10 threads came up. lol OOPS!

LoL, it happens.

Happy Diggin! So much is being Unvieled in His Word today
It's like everytime I pick it up, It becomes New again, It's Amazing,
And so Full of Life.

What ever you find please share, like I told Israel, I'm all ears.

Blessings

S

See_KING_Truth

LoL, it happens.

Happy Diggin! So much is being Unvieled in His Word today
It's like everytime I pick it up, It becomes New again, It's Amazing,
And so Full of Life.

What ever you find please share, like I told Israel, I'm all ears.

Blessings
Amen to that! Most times I go back and re-read a book or passage from the Word and I will see something that I didn't see before or pick up on something that leads me to study further. Now I know what Paul meant when he spoke about being fed with meat as compared to milk.

Oct 12, 2011
Amen to that! Most times I go back and re-read a book or passage from the Word and I will see something that I didn't see before or pick up on something that leads me to study further. Now I know what Paul meant when he spoke about being fed with meat as compared to milk.

Yeah, I know what you mean, milk, meat, and then all of sudden
Baamm, Hidden Manna, Gold.

And It's more than words can describe.
And sometimes it seems like, trying to put it into words would
only taint it. Do you know what I mean?

Gods ways, and His thoughts are so much Higher than ours.

Blessings

E

eternally-gratefull

Using romans 1: 20, here are a few greek-english translations from lexicons and other sources:

ἀΐδιος, -ον, (for ἀείδιος fr. ἀωί), eternal, everlasting: (Sap. 7:26) Ro. 1:20; Jude 6. (Hom. hymn. 29, 3; Hes. scut. 310, and fr. Thuc. down in prose; [freq. in Philo, e. g. de profug. § 18 (ζωὴ ἀΐδιος), § 31; de opif. mund. § 2, § 61; de cherub. § 1, § 2, § 3; de post. Cain. § 11 fin. SYN. see αἰώνιος].)*

Thayer, J. H. (1889). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament: Being Grimm's Wilke's Clavis Novi Testamenti (14). New York: Harper & Brothers.

ἀΐδιος [ᾱῐδ], ον, also η, ον, (ἀεί) everlasting, eternal, Hes. and Att.:—ἐς ἀΐδιον for ever, Thuc.

Liddell, H. (1996). A lexicon : Abridged from Liddell and Scott's Greek-English lexicon (19). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

132 ἀΐδιος (aidios), ον (on): adj.; ≡ Str 126; TDNT 1.168—LN 67.96 eternal, everlasting, without end (Ro 1:20; Jude 6+)

Swanson, J. (1997). Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains : Greek (New Testament) (electronic ed.). Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

126. ἀΐδιος aïdiŏs, ah-id´-ee-os; from 104; ever-during (forward and backward, or forward only):—eternal, everlasting.

Strong, J., S.T.D., LL.D. (2009). Vol. 1: A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible (8). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Hope this helps

Jan 18, 2011
Can anybody shed some light on this Greek word that has been translated in English to mean: eternal, everlasting, forever? Does eternal in our KVJ bible really mean without end? Or does this word "aionios", from the origional Greek text, refer to an "age" or a period of time?
There are some who argue against the words "forever and ever," especially in reference to hell. The Greek words translated "forever and ever" in Revelation 20:10 are tous aiônas tôn aiônôn. These are the exact words used for God's eternal glory (Galatians 1:5; Philippians 4:20; 1 Timothy 1:17; 2 Timothy 4:18; Hebrews 13:21; 1 Peter 4:11; 5:11; Revelation 1:6; 5:13; 7:12), for Christ's eternal living, never to experience death again (Revelation 1:18), for God who lives forever and ever (Revelation 4:9-10; 10:6; 15:7), for Christ's eternal reign (Revelation 11:15), for eternal smoke (Revelation 19:3), and for the eternal reign of the saints (Revelation 22:5).

So, if hell is not eternal, neither is God's glory, Christ is not eternally living and will experience death again, God will not live forever, and neither Christ's nor the saints' reign is eternal.

Then, if hell is not eternal, this begs the question of those who would propose this concept: when is it that God is going to die?

Last edited:
P

prophecyman

He is El-Olam (Heb.) that should be the focus!