Alabama death row inmate freed after 30 years

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 27, 2013
V

Viligant_Warrior

I was gratified that he praised God upon his release, but I'm troubled that there is a third murder case in which he was a suspect that was never charged.

Perhaps, with the forensics of 1985, the police and everyone else was convinced he was the murderer based on the pistol found at his mother's house and didn't do their due diligence in building more evidence against him. I'm sure they thought the double homicide was enough to put him in prison, perhaps on death row, which it did. But what about the third murder? Chances are, it's long forgotten now.

What if Alabama just released a murderer back onto the streets? What if he did kill all three people, but the police did a lousy job of investigating once they found the gun?

Has justice truly been done here?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
After reading both articles that were linked by users all I can say is that this was a travesty of justice that should not have happened. It's pretty apparent that the guy had completely inadequate representation at his trial due to the lack of a proper ballistics/forensics expert on his team.

We've seen a handful of old death/life sentences reversed over the years because of advances in DNA evidence that was almost non-existent thirty years ago, but the exonerating evidence in this case was relating to ballistic evidence that proved that his weapon could not have fire the bullets in any of the three cases. Other than the fact that now computers do all the hard work of matching guns to bullets, ballistic technology hasn't changed much.

Feb 21, 2012
I talked to one guy that has been to the penitientiary that said that alot of people there aren't supposed to be there. Of course I've never been to jail a day in my life, so I wouldn't know.

V

Viligant_Warrior

I talked to one guy that has been to the penitientiary that said that alot of people there aren't supposed to be there. Of course I've never been to jail a day in my life, so I wouldn't know.
Talk to most men and women in prison and they'll tell you they didn't belong there. I take such statements with a grain of salt.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
my thoughts, were more on, 30 years behind bars, and being on death row, for something you never did. etc

it not the first story i have read concerning the justice system being wrong. etc
That's true, and each is a travesty...........however, given the number they get right........well, the percentile of innocents in prisons is very small. Just saying

Jan 27, 2013
i some times wonder, why god loves me. i have been involved with prison fellowship with many sinners. that dont need convincing they are sinners. only if the so called free understand, all fall short of the glory of god. will you understand how big your god is.

J

jennymae

Well, I guess miscarriage of justice isnt a once in a lifetime experience for the system...and Alabama's justice system happens to be the craziest of them all...a judge who has gotten up on the wrong side of the bed can easily override any verdict from the jury and literally make you needle material...

K

kennethcadwell

The whole system is corrupt from the bottom up, and anybody who does not believe this is living in denial.

This is not new of people getting released later after finding out they were innocent all along. If a person researches this issue you will find at least one a year being released that were originally falsely sentenced. Kansas just got busted about 6 years ago, and a number of judges disbarred do to them taking bribes on who to pronounce prison sentences on who not to. Them as well as their public defenders traded off cases for wins on others rather a person was guilty or not.

I think the percentage of falsely accused is a little misleading as it has to be taken into account how many are reviewed/appealed. For instance I did prison ministry in Johnson county Kansas and found out if a person signs a plea agreement they can not file for an appeal, and the other thing I found out is how they use scare tactics to get those who are not use to the system to get them to sign pleas.

That being said however what happened to grace, love, mercy, and forgiveness we as Christians are commanded to show to others???

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
The whole system is corrupt from the bottom up, and anybody who does not believe this is living in denial.

This is not new of people getting released later after finding out they were innocent all along. If a person researches this issue you will find at least one a year being released that were originally falsely sentenced. Kansas just got busted about 6 years ago, and a number of judges disbarred do to them taking bribes on who to pronounce prison sentences on who not to. Them as well as their public defenders traded off cases for wins on others rather a person was guilty or not.

I think the percentage of falsely accused is a little misleading as it has to be taken into account how many are reviewed/appealed. For instance I did prison ministry in Johnson county Kansas and found out if a person signs a plea agreement they can not file for an appeal, and the other thing I found out is how they use scare tactics to get those who are not use to the system to get them to sign pleas.

That being said however what happened to grace, love, mercy, and forgiveness we as Christians are commanded to show to others???[/
QUOTE]

Hmm...........................good question..........