ALL NEED TO REPENT

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
But the scripture doesn't say "repent, change your actions, and believe"

It says "Repent and believe".

The gift of salvation can't be compared to cigarettes.

The change of action doesn't come until after repenting and believing. The change of action is now on the believer's part.

Repentance is for the lost, the changing of ways is for the found. Changing ways will never do anything for the lost - "whitewashed tombs".
The Greek word for "repent" is "metanoia" (noun) and "matanoeo" (verb) you see as defined in the Strongs #3340, 3341: to think differently or afterwards, reconsider. After thought, change of mind. Repentance basically means a "change of mind" and the context must determine what is involved in this change of mind. Where salvation is in view, repentance actually precedes saving faith in Christ and is not a totally separate act from faith. It is actually the same coin with two sides. Repentance is on one side, what you change your mind about and faith in Christ is on the positive side, the new direction of this change of mind. *Repentance and faith are two sides of the same experience of receiving Christ through faith. (Acts 3:19; 11:17,18; 20:21; 26:18)

In the context of Luke 13:3, Jesus challenged the people's notion that they were morally superior to those who suffered in such catastrophes. He called all to repent or perish. For some people though, prior to coming to the end result of the new direction of this change of mind in repentance (saving faith in Christ), they must change their minds about other specific things in order to get there. Repentance, metanoia, focuses on changing one's mind about his previous concept of God (as in Acts 17:30) and disbelief in God or false beliefs (polytheism and idolatry) about God (1 Thessalonians 1:9). On the other hand, this change of mind, focuses on the new direction that change must ultimately take, namely, trusting in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

Certain people misunderstand the term "repentance" to simply mean "turn from all sin" or "completely stop sinning." That is not the Biblical definition of repentance. In the Bible, the word "repent" means to "change your mind." The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions. Acts 26:20 declares, "I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds." This is the fruit of repentance (Matthew 3:8), not the essence of repentance (change of mind). Certain people confuse the "fruit of repentance" with the "essence of repentance" (and also do the same thing with faith) and end up teaching salvation by works. :cautious:

I have heard certain people say, "If you want to be saved, repent of your sins, turn from your sins." If turning from your sins means to stop sinning, then people can only be saved if they stop sinning. And in that case, it is unlikely that anyone will be saved, since we don't know anyone who has ever "completely stopped sinning."

Apr 15, 2017
Repenting of our sins means to be sorry for all the sins we did with a godly sorrow, and turn from sins hating sin, and not wanting sin, and allowing the Spirit to lead us to abstain from sins, which Paul said we should not use the members of our body to sin.

Paul said he keeps under his body, and brings it into subjection, which means to abstain from sins, lest when he preached to others he should be a castaway.

adokimos
ad-ok'-ee-mos
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1384; unapproved, that is, rejected; by implication worthless (literally or morally): - castaway, rejected, reprobate.

Which the Bible says that if a person hates sin, and does not want sin, by the Spirit they can abstain from sin, for a Spirit led life will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, for they have crucified the flesh with the lusts and affections, and show the ways of the Spirit and not the flesh.

And God will not allow them to be tempted above what they are able, and will give them an escape from the temptation so they can bear it.

So there is no excuse why a person cannot abstain from sins for we can by the Spirit.

People that say they cannot abstain from sins, and sin does not affect their relationship with God, like to hear it that way so they can enjoy the things of the world, like the world enjoys those things, and still believe they are right with God.

Which the Bible says they have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof, for they do not allow the Spirit to lead them, and want to be led of the flesh to enjoy the things of the world, which they are ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Which it points out their sins, and says they are lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God, for they love God, but they love the ways of the world more.

The Bible says from such people turn away from them for they give offense to the ministry because of their hypocrisy, which the Bible says give offense in nothing so the ministry is not blamed.

But they are out there enjoying sin and the world all the while the world is saying hypocrite, and saying Christianity is hypocritical.

It should bother them to have people view them like that, and they should love God to want to act like Christ and not the world.

1Co 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
1Co 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

Some do not have the knowledge of God that He hates sin, and does not want us to sin, and sin does affect our relationship with Him, for He said for the saints not to be like those Jews in the wilderness that sinned, and not to depart from the living God by the deceitfulness of sins, and if they do not continue in the goodness of God they will be cut off like the Jews that disobeyed in the Old Testament.

Which the Bible says the Lord knows them that are His having this seal, which this is what seals the saints, and how they are led of the Spirit, that everyone that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Repenting of our sins means to turn from our sins, and allow the Spirit to lead us to abstain from sins, and if a person holds unto sin then they are violating the repenting that they did when they were first saved, and the repenting does not apply.

Which the Bible says if they sin wilfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, hold unto sin, then there is no more sacrifice for their sin, which means the blood of Jesus cannot wash it away.

But if some have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof, and are ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth, then they were never saved to begin with, but repented of their sins, and confessed Christ, but it was not the proper understanding of that for they repented of all past sins, but held unto sin and did them in the future, and thought they were alright with God.

If they say they cannot abstain from sins then they testify out of their own mouth that they do sin, and hold unto sin, which then the blood of Jesus cannot wash it away.

But then these people say we are chosen and can never fall, but that does not make sense if they say they cannot abstain from sin, for then they are holding unto sin and are not right according to the Bible.

Right according to themselves, but not right according to the Bible.

Jas 5:19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
Jas 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

If a person is saved, and goes goes back to sin, holding unto sin, then they are back in the position of being unsaved, for when they hold unto sin they are considered a sinner, and their soul is in the position of death, until they repent and stop holding unto sin.

If a person holds unto sin that is not repenting, and then they compromised the repenting they did when they were first saved.

But many we debate with were not saved to begin with for we are not saved until we realize the truth that we have to abstain from sins led by the Spirit, but if they have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof how were they saved.

For if they say they cannot abstain from sins how were they saved, for they will hold unto sin, for they testify out of their mouth that they cannot abstain from sin.

But God said they can abstain from sins, so what is going on.

The occult likes to interpret the Bible according to the occult, other religions according to their religions, the prejudice as such, and people will different beliefs not part of the Bible the same way.

These people want to interpret the Bible according to the flesh to enjoy the things of the world, like the world enjoys those things, and believe they are still right with God.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I think this is the first time I have read one of your posts Matt............this one is well worth the read!

God bless you and yours

Oct 16, 2018
Repenting of our sins
Rhetoric might sound pleasing, but you'll never buy your way into heaven with filthy rags.

"repent of your sins" is not in the bible except for Bibles that add "of your sins" to God's word. The only time repenting "of" anything is spoken in scripture, is to those already saved in revelation, and it is a call to fellowship with God. Not salvation.

"Having a form of godliness and denying the power thereof" is talking about those preaching false repentance and works salvation (working to get or stay saved). They don't believe that the blood of Jesus Christ is sufficient for salvation, and have trampled under foot the son of God.

They have a form of godliness - they look righteous on the outside "look at me, I'm so spirit filled, I don't do this sin, I don't do that sin. I 'repented' of my sins therefore I'm worthy of heaven". - The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are , extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
Luke 18:11 KJV

Yet they deny the power of salvation - believe on the lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. They deny that righteousness is imputed (Romans 4)

Truly as you said, the world likes to interpret the Bible how they see fit - thinking they'll ever be good enough without the blood of Jesus. "I'm a good person, surely God will let me into heaven". They teach the salvation of the Catholic church and Islam "Be good and believe. Believing is not enough. Christ is not enough". Men, not God, look for works (Jas 2)

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Oh, no, wait a minute............ The very first Sermon Christ preached was "REPENT."

Matthew 4:17) From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Oct 16, 2018
Oh, no, wait a minute............ The very first Sermon Christ preached was "REPENT."

Matthew 4:17) From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Yes. "Change your mind for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand"

Change your mind and believe.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Oh, y'all still trying to agree on the definition........never mind. :)

No wonder there are so many disputations here if folks can not even agree on the definition of repent......

Whatever definition they use...........all I know is Christ said to, and that's good enough for me.

Oct 16, 2018
if folks can not even agree on the definition of repent
People can't agree because Christianity is the true religion and Satan wants to suppress the truth of faith alone in Christ alone, so he has perverted God's words about salvation including repentance.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Sorry. Have to disagree with that. Satan can not pervert God's Holy Word. He can try and confuse and confound people, but God's Word will never be perverted! God is fully capable of protecting and preserving His Word.

The devil surely wants to try and deceive people, especially new believers who are just beginning their life walk with Christ........but, if they have received the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, he can never accomplish that goal in my opinion.

The definition of repent is far too simple to cause such debate..........goodness......

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
how about this- if one changes his mind, then one will change his actions.

if one used to go out, get wasted, chase women, then come to Christ, and realizes that that behavior is wrong, in accordance to God's Word, then one will stop that behavior, because they understand it is wrong. where does understanding take place? in the mind.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Kinda ok with me............If one realizes he needs to change the way he is living (mind) in order to be in good favor with God, then one will change how he is (actions) living, right?

Jesus thought it was kinda of a big deal, so I'm going with Him.

:)

Oct 16, 2018
Satan can not pervert God's Holy Word.
You just described how Satan perverts

He can try and confuse and confound people
I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would PERVERT THE GOSPEL of Christ. But though we, or AN ANGEL from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
Galatians 1:6‭-‬9 KJV

Yes God's word is preserved, which is why Satan has created perverted bibles such as MSG, NWT, TLV, NLT, etc., and has spread false ideologies about Christ.

then one will change his actions
That's a desired outcome of repentance, but it's not repentance. "Changing your actions" is simply another attempt to justify works salvation.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would PERVERT THE GOSPEL of Christ. But though we, or AN ANGEL from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Yes God's word is preserved, which is why Satan has created perverted bibles such as MSG, NWT, TLV, NLT, etc., and has spread false ideologies about Christ.

That's a desired outcome of repentance, but it's not repentance. "Changing your actions" is simply another attempt to justify works salvation.
that is what I just said- if one changes their mind, then they will change their behavior.

some of you seem to have a real problem with the word " obey '. of course, no one is going to obey perfectly, but, when we read the Bible, should our goal be to DO ( or not do ) what is says to do?? .and not do.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
that is what I just said- if one changes their mind, then they will change their behavior.

some of you seem to have a real problem with the word " obey '. of course, no one is going to obey perfectly, but, when we read the Bible, should our goal be to DO ( or not do ) what is says to do?? .and not do.
Yes, there are some here who do not like that word.........

Believe me........ I know.......

:)

Dec 12, 2013

I am fairly confident that Satan perverted God's word in the garden when he added the word NOT......just like the workers for, Cainologists and Pharisees do to this very day....they corrupt it regularly by embellishing it, changing or rejecting context and or denying verb tense.....they also conflate many truths into their give a dog a bone theology.........

Oct 16, 2018
I don't have a problem with obedience.

I have a problem with people thinking repentance means buying the free and priceless gift salvation with filthy rags.

If you want to say someone has a problem with obedience, it's those teaching false repentance. They are disobedient to Christ's command to believe and be saved.

Oct 16, 2018
I am fairly confident that Satan perverted God's word in the garden when he added the word NOT......just like the workers for, Cainologists and Pharisees do to this very day....they corrupt it regularly by embellishing it, changing or rejecting context and or denying verb tense.....they also conflate many truths into their give a dog a bone theology.........
I agree. First Satan said "you shall not surely die" under the sin of Adam where God said he would die, and now Satan has freaked out that Christ is risen from the grave and given life. Now satan says "thou shalt not surely live" where Christ promised life abundantly.

Dec 12, 2013
I agree. First Satan said "you shall not surely die" under the sin of Adam where God said he would die, and now Satan has freaked out that Christ is risen from the grave and given life. Now satan says "thou shalt not surely live" where Christ promised life abundantly.
Exactly.......you must EARN the free irrevocable gift of eternal life........

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I don't have a problem with obedience.

I have a problem with people thinking repentance means buying the free and priceless gift salvation with filthy rags.

If you want to say someone has a problem with obedience, it's those teaching false repentance. They are disobedient to Christ's command to believe and be saved.
I have not seen anyone on this Thread suggest that.......

As for the last part.............IF one believes, and desires to be saved............he must FIRST repent........turn from his sinful ways, and ask Christ to forgive his sins.......

That has not one single thing to do with buying salvation. It IS obeying what Christ said to do.....