All things James

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The book of James contains doctrinal truths for the Jews living in the last days of the tribulation as they will be scattered and will face all kinds of trouble.

1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

The term twelve tribes is used all throughout Scripture, and is always a reference to the nation of Israel as a whole and never to a called out group from that nation. Genesis 49:28, Exodus 24:4, 28:21, Ezekiel 47:13. And the NT is no different: Matt 19:28, Luke 22:30, Acts 26:7, Revelation 21:12. There is no justification for taking this as anything other than an address to the twelve tribes of Israel. In order to make James a Christian epistle would mean to contradict every other usage of this term in Scripture. It is certainly not a reference to the diaspora.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
they were already scattered and st.james sent a letter to people in first century not mail it to 21st century. you dont think people wrote letters to someone with no application to them at the time?
he is greeting the people at that time not writing a time capsule greeting people he doesnt even know in the future.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
they were already scattered and st.james sent a letter to people in first century not mail it to 21st century. you dont think people wrote letters to someone with no application to them at the time?
he is greeting the people at that time not writing a time capsule greeting people he doesnt even know in the future.
Yes, but James has been chronologically placed by the Holy Spirit after the doctrines given to the Church and the catching up of the saints. God’s economy will turn again to His people Israel in the last days leading up to the return of the King of kings. It is obvious that James is not to Jewish believers only but to the entire nation of Israel for the kingdom could have been given in James day if Israel would have accepted Jesus as Messiah.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Yes, but James has been chronologically placed by the Holy Spirit after the doctrines given to the Church and the catching up of the saints. God’s economy will turn again to His people Israel in the last days leading up to the return of the King of kings. It is obvious that James is not to Jewish believers only but to the entire nation of Israel for the kingdom could have been given in James day if Israel would have accepted Jesus as Messiah.
At least part of the audience of James needed to receive the word and have their souls saved.

21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
So exactly what part of James teachings do you believe DON'T apply to you?

7seasrekeyed

I really, no really I mean really, hope we are not going in the direction of James does not apply to Christian Gentiles

John146

Jan 13, 2016
So exactly what part of James teachings do you believe DON'T apply to you?
To which tribe do you belong? None of it is TO me, a Church age believer. Are there things in James I can make spiritual application? Of course.

James condemns the rich? Why? Paul does not condemn a believer for being rich. Being rich in the tribulation means one of two things. You have taken the mark or you are hoarding riches refusing to help those in dire need.

Tribulation: James 1:10 But the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.11 For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways.

Tribulation: James 2:6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?

Tribulation: James 5
1 Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.
2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.
3 Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.
4 Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.
5 Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton; ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter.
6 Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I really, no really I mean really, hope we are not going in the direction of James does not apply to Christian Gentiles
To which tribe do you belong?

1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
To which tribe do you belong?

which church of corinth or galatia or smyrna do you belong to? oh yea..

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The Bible relates the seasonal rains that revive the earth to the reviving of God’s chosen people Israel. James refers to the early and latter rain and the fact that the husbandman patiently waits for these rains to come.

James 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

Ten verses later, James mentions Elijah’s prayer that stopped the rain for 3 1/2 years (great tribulation).

James 5:17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

This same time period is mentioned in Revelation and it’s association with the tribulation, Revelation 11:2-3, 13:4-5. Hosea also prophesies of this time.

Hosea 6
2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
3 Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
When Paul writes to the Church at Corinth, he is writing to the body of Christ that happens to live in Corinth. Any doctrine to the body of Christ is doctrine to the whole body of Christ, even us 2,000 years later.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
1 Corinthians 4:17. For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.

Apr 15, 2017
The book of James contains doctrinal truths for the Jews living in the last days of the tribulation as they will be scattered and will face all kinds of trouble.

The term twelve tribes is used all throughout Scripture, and is always a reference to the nation of Israel as a whole and never to a called out group from that nation. Genesis 49:28, Exodus 24:4, 28:21, Ezekiel 47:13. And the NT is no different: Matt 19:28, Luke 22:30, Acts 26:7, Revelation 21:12. There is no justification for taking this as anything other than an address to the twelve tribes of Israel. In order to make James a Christian epistle would mean to contradict every other usage of this term in Scripture. It is certainly not a reference to the diaspora.
If James sent a letter to the twelve tribes of Israel then it has to do with Christianity that they turn to Christianity, or are already Christian, like Hebrews is written to the Hebrews but it explains to embrace Christianity.

Jas 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
Jas 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Jas 1:3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
Jas 1:4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
Jas 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Jas 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
Jas 1:7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

Jas 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Jas 2:1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

Jas 2:6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?
Jas 2:7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?

James is speaking to Jews who are Christians which then it would apply to all Christians what he wrote in the book for all Christians go by the same standard.

If James says we are justified by works, and not faith alone, and he is speaking to Jews who are Christians then it would apply to all Christians.

Why would Jews who are Christians have to abide by we are justified by works, and not faith alone, and not Gentiles, when all Christians go by the same standard, and in the Lord there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek, and God made the Jews and Gentiles one man.

Should Jews that are Christians still go by circumcision, and Old Testament ordinances, but they should not.

There is no law for the Jew and one for the Gentile when they are Christians, and if James is writing to Jewish Christians then all Christians have to abide by that.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
When Paul writes to the Church at Corinth, he is writing to the body of Christ that happens to live in Corinth. Any doctrine to the body of Christ is doctrine to the whole body of Christ, even us 2,000 years later.
no it doesnt say anything about that.

It says " To the church of God in Corinth"

im so glad i dont have to folllow anything in that book again cause im not in corinth. thanks. this picking and choosing what applies to you will not work. it just cant be consistently done without getting into logical problems- i know some people on youtube interpret it this way usually dispensationalist kjvonly people and their charts. but biblically i couldnt imagine anyone coming up with that system until recently. too modern and fancy. those people were just happy to see even one book of the bible

John146

Jan 13, 2016
There is no law for the Jew and one for the Gentile when they are Christians, and if James is writing to Jewish Christians then all Christians have to abide by that.
Exactly! There are no Jews or Gentiles in the body of Christ. Why would James address the twelve tribes of Israel? These are not part of the body of Christ. The body of Christ has been caught up and the Lord has turned His attention back to Israel to fulfill His promise to them.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
no it doesnt say anything about that.

It says " To the church of God in Corinth"

im so glad i dont have to folllow anything in that book again cause im not in corinth. thanks. this picking and choosing what applies to you will not work. it just cant be consistently done without getting into logical problems- i know some people on youtube interpret it this way usually dispensationalist kjvonly people and their charts. but biblically i couldnt imagine anyone coming up with that system until recently. too modern and fancy. those people were just happy to see even one book of the bible
The church of God is the body of Christ.

Ephesians 1
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body,
the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Colossians 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Verse 24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Jun 10, 2019
huh was 12 tribes mentioned

1 kings 11
29During that time, the prophet Ahijah the Shilonite met Jeroboam on the road as he was going out of Jerusalem. Now Ahijah had wrapped himself in a new cloak, and the two of them were alone in the open field.

30And Ahijah took hold of the new cloak he was wearing, tore it into twelve pieces, 31and said to Jeroboam, “Take ten pieces for yourself, for this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Behold, I will tear the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon, and I will give you ten tribes. 32But one tribe will remain for the sake of My servant David and for the sake of Jerusalem, the city I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
James 5
8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. (Truth spoken during the tribulation, the Lord’s coming is near)

9 Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door. (Jesus is standing ready to return to the earth as Judge and King. During the Church age, Jesus is said to be seated at the right hand of the Father.)

dodgingstones

Nov 20, 2019
So, I guess NONE of the Bible applies to ANYONE who is not a Jew.

Hmm.....

Just when I think things could not get more weird here, they get more weird here.... No wonder the world laughs at us.....

John146

Jan 13, 2016
James points to Job as an example of patience through suffering. Job’s 42 chapters are likened to the 42 months of the great tribulation. The one who endures to the end without turning against God, will enjoy blessings greater than they’ve ever experienced in the Millennium.

James 5
10 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.
11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.
12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.