Amazed by the mysterious ways God works

  • Thread starter Thread starter toinena
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

toinena

Guest
Yeah. If I choose to be depressed, I have every reason to do so. I can make a long list of things most human beings would just break down by. My troublesome childhood (not that bad, but people have gone to therapy for less), low self esteem (except when I am safe in my role as a teacher or behind a music stand), muscular dystrophy (that is almost a reason to die in most people's eyes), lost contact with my son that has gone very far astray, broken marriage, loneliness. I have every right in the world just stay in my corner feeling sorry for my self.

And Wednesday it happened. The depression really caught up with me big time. I was even sent home from work, because I had no chance of focusing. So not me. And yet. Back home. Trying to sleep the pain away. I had a notion I should contact a person on CC, so I did. And what a person! He really helped me turn the situation around. And then two girls came. They are going to stay here until Monday on Airbnb. Why???? Why couldn't I just stay in my misery for a bit longer? No. Up and out, I took them on a tour in the neighbourhood. Showing them the gems of this place (not very many, so it wasn't too exhausting). The girls were so sweet. Dutch. One speech therapist and the other psychologist. And guess what? They were Christians. We have had some nice chats about faith, and they will join me to church tomorrow. What was the chance they should show up on that dark day? And the week just became better and better. The singles forum meet up also was a great push out of misery. I have managed to plan my studies and I am really excited about the subjects I will take this academic year. I have ordered my books and already started reading. More than two weeks before the first lecture!

It is just three days ago I just wanted to stay in my bed and die. And now? Isn't God great? I have a lot of energy, i just want to praise and worship him. I want to read my curriculum and I am excited about the paper I am going to write this term about language death and revitalizing. I think I will write about Kveens or perhaps some strange Finnish Swedish dialects. Oh joy! Nerd to the core and a perfect state of bliss. And I, by some miracle, start to enjoy life. And I live my life in Christ. Not for some imaginary boyfriend that didn't turn up. But just Christ and me. And I enjoy the walk, or roll in my case.. Because if God managed to turn this situation around like this.... what is going to happen next?
 
I didn't notice at first, but your nick looks rather Finnish. Has it got something to do with "toinen"?

I have ancestors from Finland, and know a few, indeed very few, words of the language.
 
Clever you! Yes. Toinen means second or another. And then I mixed it with Norwegian. Second is andre and then add a, and you get Andrea
 
Very creative. Are you by any chance Finnish? Or Norwegian/Finnish?
 
I am 100% Norwegian, although it might be a Finn there from the 16-century. I was living in Nothern Norway when I was a child. And there it was a small Finnish speaking community. I think that was the first spark of interest the Finnish language.

But I was married to a Finn for over 10 years, and that's were I learnt Finnish properly. I have later studied Finnish at the Univeristy. A part of me still belongs in Finland, I guess. Sometimes I have prayed in Finnish, but I was mostly hanging out in the Swedish speaking church over there.

That's a short summary of my Finnish life. Very boring but that's life.
 
I see. The fact that you were studying "Kveeni", I really hope I didn't misspell that word, made me think you were from, or were somehow Finnish or part Finnish.

I think my ancestors travelled through Norway before travelling by ship to the US.

You said Swedish church? After my father died, my mother married a Swedish man, so I have picked up a few words of that language as well It's much easier than Finnish, I think.

Since I'm a dyslectic I have some trouble expressing myself in writing in Swedish, but orally it's going good.
 
Last edited by a moderator: