1 The words of Amos,
Joel means that Jehovah, He is God. That is the point of the festival of Trumpets and that is the point of the book of Joel. The festival of Trumpets announces that Jesus is God. Amos means “burden” and it is reasonable for anyone to hear what God is about to do and to then wonder what is the burden, what is the cause for this. It is the burden of sin.
one of the shepherds of Tekoa—
As a school teacher I also feel like a shepherd.
the vision he saw concerning Israel two years before the earthquake, when Uzziah was king of Judah and Jeroboam son of Jehoash[a] was king of Israel.
There is a distinction here between the people of God, some were of Judah and some were of Israel. My understanding of prophecy is similar to the golden ratio. I feel that you can look at a small event and see a big event in that. At the end of the age we know there will be a great earthquake and I am going to look at this prophecy as referring to a period 2 years before that earthquake, “the earthquake”. There are some similarities. Uzziah the king is puffed up with pride, invades the priests office and enters the temple to burn incense. He becomes leprous and it is thought that this event provoked God to bring about this earthquake. Likewise, at the end of the age, in the middle of the last week the son of perdition goes into the temple and sets himself up as god. At this time there is a great earthquake as the sixth seal is opened. So to my understanding Joel presents the beginning of this week mentioned in Daniel, and it begins in typology with the festival of trumpets. This festival takes place about two weeks before the end of the year in the Jewish calendar. After this festival the Israelites were to take stock of the year and consider their sins that they needed to make an account of. This takes place for ten days. That would signify the time it takes for a complete and thorough accounting of our responsibility before God. I believe this is what this two years signifies, the time right up until “the earthquake”, the sixth seal, where we are taking account of our sins prior to the day of atonement. This may seem confusing to those who have not studied end time prophecy, so I’ll briefly explain. I believe the end of the age is 7 years known as the tribulation. The first 3 1⁄2 years are natural events. In the middle of this time we have this supernatural event referred to as “The earthquake” though it includes more than that. The second 3 1⁄2 years is called “the Great Tribulation” and includes supernatural events. The book of Joel describes the start of this 7 year period and likens it to the festival of trumpets. Now we are in Amos and Amos helps us do a thorough accounting before God. We consider our sins, and we consider God’s great works in the past. We also see how God has been warning us but we have not heeded those warnings.
2 He said: “The Lord roars from Zion and thunders from Jerusalem; the pastures of the shepherds dry up, and the top of Carmel withers.”
This is where we left off in Joel:16 “The Lord will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem”. So what is future tense in Joel is now present tense in Amos. Most commentaries focus on the historical and archaeological aspects of this prophecy. I don’t care about that. I want to reflect on our sins that we need to repent of, not what someone 2,000 years ago needed to repent of. This prophecy helps me run down the really big sins that we need be held accountable for.
3 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Damascus, even for four, I will not relent. Because she threshed Gilead with sledges having iron teeth,
It is certain that this is referring to a cruel and barbarous way in which you treat your prisoners of war. In recent times I am aware that many countries are especially cruel with this and operate in a way that would be illegal in the US. Which is why US military intelligence often subcontracts out our interrogation to these countries. In the US we like to think of ourselves as more moral and more humane than these countries which use cruel forms of torture. Of course it was a shock to us to see what was happening at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, and of course what was happening at Guantanamo Bay where we weren’t even observing Habeas Corpus. We were simply tossing them in jail and throwing away the key without so much as giving them a hearing or even admitting they were there.
4 I will send fire on the house of Hazael that will consume the fortresses of Ben-Hadad. 5 I will break down the gate of Damascus; I will destroy the king who is in the Valley of Aven and the one who holds the scepter in Beth Eden. The people of Aram will go into exile to Kir,” says the Lord.
On the one hand if you have supported Amnesty International you should be happy, on the other hand there should be an uneasy feeling that if the Lord is judging these 3rd world nations for this behavior, what happens when He gets to us?
6 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Gaza, even for four, I will not relent. Because she took captive whole communities and sold them to Edom, 7 I will send fire on the walls of Gaza that will consume her fortresses. 8 I will destroy the king of
Ashdod and the one who holds the scepter in Ashkelon. I will turn my hand against Ekron, till the last of the Philistines are dead,” says the Sovereign Lord.
This sounds like imperialism. I did see something when I was in Taiwan. At the very same time that the cigarette companies were being exposed for having manipulated cigarettes as a drug to make the smokers addicted, at the exact same time that they were being sued and losing one of the largest cases in US history the US government was negotiating with Taiwan. The island of Taiwan needed F16s and AWACs to defend themselves, but as part of the trade the US government required that Taiwan sell American made cigarettes. At the very same time that they were putting laws in place to limit the sale of cigarettes in the US they were requiring smaller countries dependent on us for national security to buy them and sell them to their citizens. The US took captive of whole communities and sold them to the cigarette companies.
9 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Tyre, even for four, I will not relent. Because she sold whole communities of captives to Edom, disregarding a treaty of brotherhood, 10 I will send fire on the walls of Tyre that will consume her fortresses.”
It isn’t hard to remember the US breaking treaties to sell entire communities. From 1778 to 1871, the United States government entered into more than 500 treaties with the Native American tribes; all of these treaties have since been violated in some way or outright broken by the US government.
11 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Edom, even for four, I will not relent. Because he pursued his brother with a sword and slaughtered the women of the land, because his anger raged continually and his fury flamed unchecked, 12 I will send fire on Teman that will consume the fortresses of Bozrah.”
There are genocides around the world. Rwanda, Pol Pot, Stalin and Mao spring to mind. But what about us? Do we need to list these? Sand Creek massacre, 163 men women and children were massacred by the Colorado militia. They were living in peace at the time. Three knolls massacre in California. Marias massacre in Montana, 173 killed primarily women, children and the elderly. Camp Grant massacre, killed 144 with all but 8 being women or children. Wounded Knee massacre killed around 250 men, women and children. This is but a few.
13 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Ammon, even for four, I will not relent. Because he ripped open the pregnant women of Gilead in order to extend his borders, 14 I will set fire to the walls of Rabbah that will consume her fortresses amid war cries on the day of battle, amid violent winds on a stormy day. 15 Her king will go into exile, he and his officials together,” says the Lord.
It is estimated that the abortion industry brings in $1 billion a year. (https://www.culturallegacy.org/abortion-profit). In Bloodmoney, a documentary on abortion they show how one doctor made over $2 million a year by performing abortions. We know that abortions have targeted minorities and blacks.
Joel means that Jehovah, He is God. That is the point of the festival of Trumpets and that is the point of the book of Joel. The festival of Trumpets announces that Jesus is God. Amos means “burden” and it is reasonable for anyone to hear what God is about to do and to then wonder what is the burden, what is the cause for this. It is the burden of sin.
one of the shepherds of Tekoa—
As a school teacher I also feel like a shepherd.
the vision he saw concerning Israel two years before the earthquake, when Uzziah was king of Judah and Jeroboam son of Jehoash[a] was king of Israel.
There is a distinction here between the people of God, some were of Judah and some were of Israel. My understanding of prophecy is similar to the golden ratio. I feel that you can look at a small event and see a big event in that. At the end of the age we know there will be a great earthquake and I am going to look at this prophecy as referring to a period 2 years before that earthquake, “the earthquake”. There are some similarities. Uzziah the king is puffed up with pride, invades the priests office and enters the temple to burn incense. He becomes leprous and it is thought that this event provoked God to bring about this earthquake. Likewise, at the end of the age, in the middle of the last week the son of perdition goes into the temple and sets himself up as god. At this time there is a great earthquake as the sixth seal is opened. So to my understanding Joel presents the beginning of this week mentioned in Daniel, and it begins in typology with the festival of trumpets. This festival takes place about two weeks before the end of the year in the Jewish calendar. After this festival the Israelites were to take stock of the year and consider their sins that they needed to make an account of. This takes place for ten days. That would signify the time it takes for a complete and thorough accounting of our responsibility before God. I believe this is what this two years signifies, the time right up until “the earthquake”, the sixth seal, where we are taking account of our sins prior to the day of atonement. This may seem confusing to those who have not studied end time prophecy, so I’ll briefly explain. I believe the end of the age is 7 years known as the tribulation. The first 3 1⁄2 years are natural events. In the middle of this time we have this supernatural event referred to as “The earthquake” though it includes more than that. The second 3 1⁄2 years is called “the Great Tribulation” and includes supernatural events. The book of Joel describes the start of this 7 year period and likens it to the festival of trumpets. Now we are in Amos and Amos helps us do a thorough accounting before God. We consider our sins, and we consider God’s great works in the past. We also see how God has been warning us but we have not heeded those warnings.
2 He said: “The Lord roars from Zion and thunders from Jerusalem; the pastures of the shepherds dry up, and the top of Carmel withers.”
This is where we left off in Joel:16 “The Lord will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem”. So what is future tense in Joel is now present tense in Amos. Most commentaries focus on the historical and archaeological aspects of this prophecy. I don’t care about that. I want to reflect on our sins that we need to repent of, not what someone 2,000 years ago needed to repent of. This prophecy helps me run down the really big sins that we need be held accountable for.
3 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Damascus, even for four, I will not relent. Because she threshed Gilead with sledges having iron teeth,
It is certain that this is referring to a cruel and barbarous way in which you treat your prisoners of war. In recent times I am aware that many countries are especially cruel with this and operate in a way that would be illegal in the US. Which is why US military intelligence often subcontracts out our interrogation to these countries. In the US we like to think of ourselves as more moral and more humane than these countries which use cruel forms of torture. Of course it was a shock to us to see what was happening at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, and of course what was happening at Guantanamo Bay where we weren’t even observing Habeas Corpus. We were simply tossing them in jail and throwing away the key without so much as giving them a hearing or even admitting they were there.
4 I will send fire on the house of Hazael that will consume the fortresses of Ben-Hadad. 5 I will break down the gate of Damascus; I will destroy the king who is in the Valley of Aven and the one who holds the scepter in Beth Eden. The people of Aram will go into exile to Kir,” says the Lord.
On the one hand if you have supported Amnesty International you should be happy, on the other hand there should be an uneasy feeling that if the Lord is judging these 3rd world nations for this behavior, what happens when He gets to us?
6 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Gaza, even for four, I will not relent. Because she took captive whole communities and sold them to Edom, 7 I will send fire on the walls of Gaza that will consume her fortresses. 8 I will destroy the king of
Ashdod and the one who holds the scepter in Ashkelon. I will turn my hand against Ekron, till the last of the Philistines are dead,” says the Sovereign Lord.
This sounds like imperialism. I did see something when I was in Taiwan. At the very same time that the cigarette companies were being exposed for having manipulated cigarettes as a drug to make the smokers addicted, at the exact same time that they were being sued and losing one of the largest cases in US history the US government was negotiating with Taiwan. The island of Taiwan needed F16s and AWACs to defend themselves, but as part of the trade the US government required that Taiwan sell American made cigarettes. At the very same time that they were putting laws in place to limit the sale of cigarettes in the US they were requiring smaller countries dependent on us for national security to buy them and sell them to their citizens. The US took captive of whole communities and sold them to the cigarette companies.
9 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Tyre, even for four, I will not relent. Because she sold whole communities of captives to Edom, disregarding a treaty of brotherhood, 10 I will send fire on the walls of Tyre that will consume her fortresses.”
It isn’t hard to remember the US breaking treaties to sell entire communities. From 1778 to 1871, the United States government entered into more than 500 treaties with the Native American tribes; all of these treaties have since been violated in some way or outright broken by the US government.
11 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Edom, even for four, I will not relent. Because he pursued his brother with a sword and slaughtered the women of the land, because his anger raged continually and his fury flamed unchecked, 12 I will send fire on Teman that will consume the fortresses of Bozrah.”
There are genocides around the world. Rwanda, Pol Pot, Stalin and Mao spring to mind. But what about us? Do we need to list these? Sand Creek massacre, 163 men women and children were massacred by the Colorado militia. They were living in peace at the time. Three knolls massacre in California. Marias massacre in Montana, 173 killed primarily women, children and the elderly. Camp Grant massacre, killed 144 with all but 8 being women or children. Wounded Knee massacre killed around 250 men, women and children. This is but a few.
13 This is what the Lord says: “For three sins of Ammon, even for four, I will not relent. Because he ripped open the pregnant women of Gilead in order to extend his borders, 14 I will set fire to the walls of Rabbah that will consume her fortresses amid war cries on the day of battle, amid violent winds on a stormy day. 15 Her king will go into exile, he and his officials together,” says the Lord.
It is estimated that the abortion industry brings in $1 billion a year. (https://www.culturallegacy.org/abortion-profit). In Bloodmoney, a documentary on abortion they show how one doctor made over $2 million a year by performing abortions. We know that abortions have targeted minorities and blacks.