Another Testimony-my growth as a Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
When I was born again, I knew almost nothing about Christianity, or the bible. I went from being a man addicted to many things, a man feared by many, to being a man who only knew that everything he did and believed was now wrong. I started reading John, then started reading the other gospels. When I was done, I read the rest of the new testament. I read the my over and over. I still wasn't a member of a church-though I went to a Calvary Church sometimes with Evaleen- the lady who took me to the place I was born again, which was her church. By now, I knew God had sent His Son to die for me(before, I only knew that I must believe Jesus died for my sins[some form of the sinner's prayer]). I soon moved to Oregon, where I joined the Pentecostal church that had prayed for me for weeks prior to my salvation. I was impressed by how lovingkindness of the pastor and his wife-two very loving people. Sandy encouraged me to ay my guitar, and I played an instrumental song for the first time. I eventually started singing and playing.
I soon heard that a Christian wasn't baptized with the Holy Spirit until they spoke in tongues, and I was sad for quite awhile, until I decided to look for what I saw at the Lighthouse Church in the bible. After many hours of searching, I finally concluded that the bible nowhere said that speaking in tongues was being filled with the H. S., or evidence of such: Especially the way I saw it done at the Lighthouse.
The book of Acts was the only place where anyone spoke in tongues, and in those cases it was people speaking in known languages to Jews. Only the first instance mentioned the sound like a mighty rushing wind and visible tongues of fire. And in that case , some 3,000 Jews from over a dozen different places heard the speakers speaking the languages of those places. So, I was very confused, to say the least. I spoke to the pastor, and he got angry, so I never asked him about anything, ever again. A dear friend of mine left the church when she was accused of speaking in a false tongue. When I talked to her after, she said she'd pretended because the pastor made her feel like a second class Christian. I completely understood, because I'd felt the same-until I actually tried to find the "tongues" I'd seen at the Lighthouse in the Bible. I never did, because it wasn't in there. After that, I started looking for anything like being slain I the spirit, dancing in the spirit(I saw my cousin squaredance in the spirit at a revival), or any of the other unusual behaviors I'd witnessed: There were none. I started going to other churches, where the people didn't get excited, but they knew the bible, and they seemed to live more peaceful lives. I still missed the excitement, but not the strangeness, so I started asking God in my prayers. He finally let me understand that the peace I felt from the very beginning was how I experienced being filled with His Spirit, and that everyone felt it as they needed to feel it. I continued to visit different churches over the years, and finally settled in a First Baptist Church after I moved to Arkansas. I married a Baptist woman there, twice, and eventually moved back to Oregon. I had spent much time studying the Bible, and was very outspoken for a long time-not realizing that I couldn't make anyone believe any differently. I spent long hours debating things I now realize aren't really that important. I had great head knowledge, but didn't yet understand the great truth I know today. Without love, I'm in darkness. Without unity, the body of Christ is weak, and can do little.

Last edited:

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I left out many of the things I learned in my time as a Christian. 1. Not everything I heard in a church was of God. 2. I could find confirmation for things of God in the bible. 3. Luke wrote about the Bereans for good reason. 4. Some of what I heard in churches had little to do with wanted God wanted. 5. If I wanted to know what God wanted, I needed to ask Him(through prayer), and listen to Him(through His Word). 6. Pentecostals love to feast! 7. Baptists love to read and study the bible. 8. All churches are missing a few things. 9. I needed to go to a church with the attitude of 'what can I give them,' instead of 'what can they give me'. 10. I needed to learn how to love.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Nice thread! Thanks for the testimonies! If I have time later I would love to contribute.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Thanks for your input, Lightbearer. Blessings to you.