Antiphonal Psalms and Other Scriptures

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Okay, all you wonderful musical people: Do you know of a listing of the Scriptures that are to be read antiphonally? I have tried to make my own listing, but I am sure it is incomplete.

Thank you!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
*Has no clue what antiphonal even means* :confused:

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Antiphonal singing and reading occur when two (rarely more) groups sing or read, one group at a time. Here's an internet definition:
Antiphonal singing
, alternate singing by two choirs or singers. Antiphonal singing is of great antiquity and occurs in the folk and liturgical music of many cultures. Descriptions of it occur in the Old Testament. The antiphonal singing of psalms occurred both in ancient Hebrew and early Christian liturgies; alternating choirs would sing—e.g., half lines of psalm verses.

An example of an antiphonal psalm is the 36th. Delightful to hear; even more delightful to do aloud!

J

joefizz

That might be the point,perhaps this person has "invented" this word in order to draw attention,who knows!?

J

joefizz

That might be the point,perhaps this person has "invented" this word in order to draw attention,who knows!?
Antiphonal singing and reading occur when two (rarely more) groups sing or read, one group at a time. Here's an internet definition:
Antiphonal singing
, alternate singing by two choirs or singers. Antiphonal singing is of great antiquity and occurs in the folk and liturgical music of many cultures. Descriptions of it occur in the Old Testament. The antiphonal singing of psalms occurred both in ancient Hebrew and early Christian liturgies; alternating choirs would sing—e.g., half lines of psalm verses.

An example of an antiphonal psalm is the 36th. Delightful to hear; even more delightful to do aloud!
I stand corrected...

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Hee-hee-hee, Joefizz! You're great.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
A few that I know about --

Deuteronomy 27.14-26 A solemn warning. After verses 14-16a, the lead-reader reads each verse, through "And all the people shall say," then all, together, intone, "Amein" in solemn acknowledgment and agreement.

A happier one, but very simple antiphonal reading/prayer was done at the miqvah (baptism). Psalm 15. The reader/prayer leader reads the first verse, the ecclesia reads/prays the 2nd in answer, and the leader continues with the 3rd, while the people continue with the 4th, then all end with the 5th.

More interesting, the 118th Psalm, but I can't remember how it was done, specifically.

A fun one: Psalm 136. Joyous! At each verse, the people simply answer, "For His lovingkindness is everlasting."

And I known there are more. One, if I remember right, was upon the dedication of the new Temple, after the first one was destroyed. The people were very upset, because the new Temple was very simple, the first being to great. So they were admonished to rejoice anyway, to celebrate. They then did an antiphonal prayer/song.

There was one in which the priests went up on a hill on one side of a valley, and the people went to the other side of the valley, and they called across to each other in their song/prayer.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Ezra 3, i think, and Psalms 114-118 have antiphonal aspects, too.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Thank you! I will definitely look into their histories! I appreciate this!

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
These certainly are thought to have been sang antiphonally! Thank you!

And some articles I have read make me think that there was way more antiphonal singing than I ever imagined!

notmyown

May 26, 2016
These certainly are thought to have been sang antiphonally! Thank you!

And some articles I have read make me think that there was way more antiphonal singing than I ever imagined!
i'm so glad i was able to help a little. :)

Revelation 19, what do you think?

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
i'm so glad i was able to help a little. :)

Revelation 19, what do you think?
Wow! It sure looks likely! Thank you!

I wonder if it is a 4-group choir!!

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
Psalm 103, 136, the Beatitudes...

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
in a pipe organ the 'antiphonal' section (if it has one) is the ranks located in the back of a chapel, separate from the main organ usually located in the front.
it's your rear 'surround sound' and would be the sound coming from the 'opposite' direction, just as in antiphonal singing, a choir or leader at the front of the cathedral sings a part, and the congregation from the rear, sings parts in reply.