Any English speakers trying to learn Arabic?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Off123123123

Apr 3, 2006
If yes, what did you start with, and which resources are you currently using? I have been trying since June of this year, and have been making slow but forward progress.

مر حباً

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I tried learning Spanish in high school. I got an F in it.. lol :(

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I'll let you know when I'm finished with Cyrillic-based languages. :p

Those are hard enough, brother. Good luck with this!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Forget learning Arabic. I can barely speak English. :p lol

notbythesword

Apr 28, 2015
Arabic would be handy to know how to speak in these current times that we live in. I feel like many Arabic speaking Muslims could benefit from more Christians that could speak their language. However, I found it to be extremely difficult to learn. It’s not simply a rumor that Arabic is one of the hardest languages to learn. Even correct pronunciation (coming from an English tongue) is difficult. I dabble in it from time to time, but seem to lack the dedication needed to ever become fluent in it. I use Rosetta Stone as a resource for learning it.

Off123123123

Apr 3, 2006
Arabic would be handy to know how to speak in these current times that we live in. I feel like many Arabic speaking Muslims could benefit from more Christians that could speak their language. However, I found it to be extremely difficult to learn. It’s not simply a rumor that Arabic is one of the hardest languages to learn. Even correct pronunciation (coming from an English tongue) is difficult. I dabble in it from time to time, but seem to lack the dedication needed to ever become fluent in it. I use Rosetta Stone as a resource for learning it.
Since so much communication is done through text based methods these days, you can learn how to communicate without speaking. I'm attempting to do both. Learning the Arabic keyboard isn't that hard. If pronunciation is a major challenge, learn how to type, then learn some words, basic sentence structure, etc. At least as a starting point.

مع السّلامة

Off123123123

Apr 3, 2006
Also, to anyone reading, do not be afraid to fail miserably. Just dive on in, keep at it, view it as a huge beast you have to find the right angle to conquer it. Also, find snarky, fault finding people to practice on. The Internet is a great place for that because it's full of people who long to find people wrong. :D

أراكَ لاحقاً

Feb 7, 2015
Since Hillary wasn't elected, we might not be so pressed to learn America's new language. We may actually remain speaking English for a while longer.

M

Mooky

Hi Off,

I am trying to learn Mandarin.I find it helpful to take a familiar text such as the Gospel of John and listen to the audio version on youtube( in the particular language you are trying to learn that is.) Repetition is key.
Also, how about purchasing an Arabic/English New Testament ....?If I find one on the internet (a digital version where you can zoom in on the meaning of a particular word) I will be sure to let you know!
Oh, and by the way - well done on trying to tackle a new language...it opens up a whole new world, keeps your brain young and malleable and staves off Altzeimers and dementia! :)

Last edited:
T

Talitha

this is an interesting language to know, but the thing with it is that it has many dialects .it depends on the origin of the speaker, in Egypt they speak a different Arabic than those in Gaza than those in Jordan Or those from Syria cause you have to get the culture and all the little phrases and meanings and context . and also you have to speak the language with some natives, otherwise it won't help..you have to have conversations, maybe conversation exchange- the website.anyway, much success !