any geeks in this forum?!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

7seasrekeyed

the last time i went to the DC national gallery i sat & stared in front of 'Japanese footbridge' for 2 hours

it's another world!

I love his ponds with waterlilies

I wanted a nice repro for the bedroom but for the size it was like mortgage your house haha

I have one I bought yrs back...nice forest scene with pond and I still really like that one so that is what we have for now

7seasrekeyed

those are fandertastic! love love love the lighting

well it's all about the light, but these are so well done

actually, I am currently on a mission to learn how to do those Renaissance type portraits...I really admire them :)

bought a bunch of lessons from Creative Live at big savings so I can apply myself...you never stop learning..part of what I like

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I became acquainted with Deviant Art through looking for brushes for photoshop and that is still the reason I go there

but I hear you. I've been going there about 8 years I think

I used to belong to 500 px and did pretty well there but I would go intermittently and then one day when I logged on, it was chock full of Chinese writing...turned out that site had been bought by China...sometimes I will look at the photography there cause there are some really really great photographers...but I deleted my membership

I also liked Instagram as a platform for photography but they sold out. they said they would never sell to fb but they did...grrrr

I also used flickr for the longest time but I preferred the older format...met some fun people there and I am still friends with them

it's a big big world out there when it comes to being online to sell or even just to get noticed

angry Christian list...can you beat it? what a world!
i have an art degree, and in the course of earning it i collected a group of contacts & friends. i've had much better luck by remaining friends on facebook with people who would up working in museums, becoming professional artists in one way or another, teaching, or just kept on loving art, than i ever did by browsing one conglomerate website or another.

my advice is, if you have friends who make art, who love art, who teach art, then keep in touch. they'll curate for you -- and you curate for them, too. no art is created or appreciated in isolation; there is no isolation. we all live together in this earth, and even if we separate ourselves as much as we can, we're never alone: God is always present. you see a sunset by yourself? nope: God is there, the Artist Himself, showing you.

for example the link above - i found it through friendship with a musician who's friends with a photographer who's friends with someone else. a chain of acquaintances that brought me to befriend a sculpture professor in France, who shared the link originally. a woman there is no way in the world i ever would have met without link after link of acquaintance. would i have ever found that by browsing instagram? pfft. nope.

in whatever niche, make friends; keep them & appreciate them. thank God for them. they embiggen your world :)
just saying it because, hey, i devoted 6 years of university to art. i know artists are reclusive. i also know, isolating yourself can cause you to miss out. we're here not for ourselves, but for each other: learn to love mercy, learn to forgive, and God will reward you :)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
This is a little lowbrow, but I really enjoy 17th-century Dutch still life paintings. Especially the floral still lifes...

do you know much about the symbolism in them? there's actually typically a narrative built out of what's included in the painting, built out of a vocabulary of icons. at least, that's what the people whose job it is to write essays about paintings say lol! maybe it really is just an homage to a nice breakfast, after all :LOL:

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
actually, I am currently on a mission to learn how to do those Renaissance type portraits...I really admire them :)
i kind of gave up on representative drawing/painting realizing how many years of devoted practice it takes, because here we are in an age where we have photography. and yet, if you look at all my rolls of photographs, thousands every year, there's so much purposefully blurred, out of focus, abstraction lol -- i use this highly technical, exacting life-like tool to do a bunch of impressionistic work! ha, could have just gone on sketching scribbles

Nov 9, 2019
San Francisco
do you know much about the symbolism in them? there's actually typically a narrative built out of what's included in the painting, built out of a vocabulary of icons. at least, that's what the people whose job it is to write essays about paintings say lol! maybe it really is just an homage to a nice breakfast, after all :LOL:
I actually haven't, but that sounds really interesting! My art history professor kinda treated them like they were just pretty pictures for people who couldn't afford actual flower arrangements and lobster dinners. I wanna read about this symbolism!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I actually haven't, but that sounds really interesting! My art history professor kinda treated them like they were just pretty pictures for people who couldn't afford actual flower arrangements and lobster dinners. I wanna read about this symbolism!
goodness! someone who could afford a painting like these certainly could afford a basket of flowers or fruit!
a patron who commissioned something like these things was pretty much always very wealthy and very well educated!

here's an article giving a bit of an introduction to symbolism in still-lifes; i'm no kind of expert in it i just know enough to know that it's definitely present, especially in religious art but also in such 'mundane' things as paintings of flowers & fruit & ewers. all these things had meaning as symbols and weren't just random objects; people would pay the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars to have them made, and artiss would spend the better part of a year sometimes completing them.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180318-secret-symbols-in-still-life-painting

i'll try to dig into the intrawebz and find something more substantially educational.. i'm sure if you poke around enough on the subject you'll learn quite a lot :)

7seasrekeyed

i have an art degree, and in the course of earning it i collected a group of contacts & friends. i've had much better luck by remaining friends on facebook with people who would up working in museums, becoming professional artists in one way or another, teaching, or just kept on loving art, than i ever did by browsing one conglomerate website or another.

my advice is, if you have friends who make art, who love art, who teach art, then keep in touch. they'll curate for you -- and you curate for them, too. no art is created or appreciated in isolation; there is no isolation. we all live together in this earth, and even if we separate ourselves as much as we can, we're never alone: God is always present. you see a sunset by yourself? nope: God is there, the Artist Himself, showing you.

for example the link above - i found it through friendship with a musician who's friends with a photographer who's friends with someone else. a chain of acquaintances that brought me to befriend a sculpture professor in France, who shared the link originally. a woman there is no way in the world i ever would have met without link after link of acquaintance. would i have ever found that by browsing instagram? pfft. nope.

in whatever niche, make friends; keep them & appreciate them. thank God for them. they embiggen your world :)
just saying it because, hey, i devoted 6 years of university to art. i know artists are reclusive. i also know, isolating yourself can cause you to miss out. we're here not for ourselves, but for each other: learn to love mercy, learn to forgive, and God will reward you :)

I actually sell my work...both photography and paintings...also work in clayboard...also do photoshoots. I gave up on social media a long time ago as far as anything serious goes...and I'm not isolated...but it isn't hard to be alone haha

I have created all my life and am happiest when doing so.

I am not sure I would know where to begin though if I wasn't 'consulting' God along the way

I'm not sure what you are saying about browsing other sites? I find no harm in it but I am not sure how you are viewing it

what I don't like, is the attitude of those who view art as status...usually not the artist

my background is both Fine Art and Commercial and I find they really compliment each other :)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I'm not sure what you are saying about browsing other sites? I find no harm in it but I am not sure how you are viewing it
i meant, i've found one in 300 images worth looking at by browsing deviant art etc. i've found 1 in 10 looking at what people whose aesthetics i admire share. it was more directed to Paisley, whose in university now -- to encourage her to keep in touch with the other people she befriends there, because down the road, she'll be glad she did, and it'll be worth more to her than access to the work of a thousand total strangers, in my experience. i'm grateful for the people that have found their way into my life :)

7seasrekeyed

i kind of gave up on representative drawing/painting realizing how many years of devoted practice it takes, because here we are in an age where we have photography. and yet, if you look at all my rolls of photographs, thousands every year, there's so much purposefully blurred, out of focus, abstraction lol -- i use this highly technical, exacting life-like tool to do a bunch of impressionistic work! ha, could have just gone on sketching scribbles
well it seems you are trained in representative drawing...spent hours and hours and hours doing it and it's a good thing...training your eyes and your sense of light/balance/comp

I actually seldom crop my photos cause I set them up before I take the shot...whereas I find those who began with photography are (sorry) crop happy...I crop sometimes but not a whole lot

there is still a very good market for art...plus people choose to cross over into composite photos...something I really like myself...or adding elements ... creating, really, art from photos that is no longer what they saw but what they want to represent or feel when they create it.

really I see it as endless opportunities to create and imagine...while fun, also requiring dedication and pursuing what you want to express

someone once mentioned 'the best artists are those who can keep their behinds in the chair the longest' haha

as it is, I particularly like detail so that is not the biggest problem :LOL:

7seasrekeyed

i meant, i've found one in 300 images worth looking at by browsing deviant art etc. i've found 1 in 10 looking at what people whose aesthetics i admire share. it was more directed to Paisley, whose in university now -- to encourage her to keep in touch with the other people she befriends there, because down the road, she'll be glad she did, and it'll be worth more to her than access to the work of a thousand total strangers, in my experience. i'm grateful for the people that have found their way into my life :)

oh. ok. well again, I first ended up at Deviant looking for brushes for Photoshop and will basically still have the same reason to go there

ok...understand better now

best times are usually spent with those of like mind. it's like you are free to be yourself...finally

7seasrekeyed

like when your lit prof expects you to find 17 different meanings in a book that is best read and taken as is

I don't tend to see all kinds of hidden meanings in things....you start looking under rocks haha

nerd vs geek.jpg
Based on this pic, I'm more of a geek. I like coffee, sneakers, the piano, t-shirts, and dogs.
Here are what I enjoy...
Video games: Animal Crossing (New Leaf, Pocket Camp, & New Horizons), The Sims
Fantasy: I watched the whole of The Vampire Diaries
Anime: Mirmo, Clannad, Powerpuff Girls Z
Novels: I read the whole of A Series of Unfortunate Events

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
Wouldn't consider myself a geek. I'm definitely a dork though. :p

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
the last time i went to the DC national gallery i sat & stared in front of 'Japanese footbridge' for 2 hours
I'm not knowledgeable on art, (or anything really) but I remember being captivated by this painting that I saw online some time ago. Couldn't stop staring at it.

448px-Rembrandt_(circle)_-_The_Man_with_the_Golden_Helmet_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg